Travel film on 5dmkIII raw - Dubai and Oman

Rungunshoot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

This footage looks beautiful. I would not have thought of the 5D3 raw as a good travelogue/documentary style camera given the cumbersome nature of raw footage, but it looks so visceral with the exceedingly clear images and colors.

Do you find it a challenge to get the footage you want with the 5D3 raw workflow? It seems to me like one would normally want to shoot a huge amount of footage for a seemingly run-and-gun travelogue video like this, and that would be harder with this setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing work!  You're quite the renaissance man.

If you don't mind me asking, if you had to do it all over again, what would you buy first for stabilization?  A weighted-stabilizer, brushless gimbal, jib, or slider tripod?  (Or something else?)

For a lot of the places I shot, a stabilizer was pretty much out of the question unless I wanted to get a shooting permit.  The middle east is very sensitive about where and what you shoot.  Without a stabilizer, I could look like a tourist with a DSLR.  With a MoVI or Glidecam, I would obviously be a professional videographer.  Which would have alarmed not only security, but my subjects as well.

That said, the only stabilizer right now that seems cheap, portable and easy enough to set up is the Xcam Sabre.  It will fly a 5dmkIII with kit lens despite its small size.

This footage looks beautiful. I would not have thought of the 5D3 raw as a good travelogue/documentary style camera given the cumbersome nature of raw footage, but it looks so visceral with the exceedingly clear images and colors.

Do you find it a challenge to get the footage you want with the 5D3 raw workflow? It seems to me like one would normally want to shoot a huge amount of footage for a seemingly run-and-gun travelogue video like this, and that would be harder with this setup.

Hi, the footage was a challenge to deal with.  I was constantly running out of card space, even with 2x256GB cards and 2x128GB.  I also used up a couple 4TB drives storing the footage.  The key to staying sane was downloading the footage each night.

Plus, the ML raw hack sometimes works, or sometimes doesn't.  It's moody.  It will crash.  It's experimental. 

I blogged about the shooting/editing process here: http://rungunshoot.com/magic-lantern-raw-on-the-5dmkiii/

• 1 month later...

For a lot of the places I shot, a stabilizer was pretty much out of the question unless I wanted to get a shooting permit.  The middle east is very sensitive about where and what you shoot.  Without a stabilizer, I could look like a tourist with a DSLR.  With a MoVI or Glidecam, I would obviously be a professional videographer.  Which would have alarmed not only security, but my subjects as well.

That said, the only stabilizer right now that seems cheap, portable and easy enough to set up is the Xcam Sabre.  It will fly a 5dmkIII with kit lens despite its small size.

Wow....I was asking because I thought a stabilizer must have been used for most of your shots, but watching it again it looks like you just have really steady hands and good technique.  I'm even more impressed.  Thanks for showing how much you can do hand held.  I would definitely prefer to work without one.

Great travel video - I have just been in Oman so many familiar sites. 

One question about the look you added in post - how precisely do you edit the slow down/speed up etc. parts between the different sequences? I'm using FCP

Great travel video - I have just been in Oman so many familiar sites. 

One question about the look you added in post - how precisely do you edit the slow down/speed up etc. parts between the different sequences? I'm using FCP

Hi Blanche! 

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how I did speed ramping?  I use Final Cut Pro X, which has built-in speed ramping tools.  I can hit shift+B within my timeline and split a clip for time remapping, then I can stretch the footage on either side of the split to create a ramp.  If you're on FCP 7, I'm not sure how you would achieve the same effect.  I haven't used the program in about 5 years so I'm unfamiliar with its capabilities for time remapping.

No I'm FCP X - I think you answered my question just about. What do you mean by stretching?

If you hit ⌘r, the selected clip becomes a rubbertape. It gets a green top, meaning 100%. If you drag it inwards, it gets blue=shorter=faster, outwards it gets orange=longer=slower. Under the retime-icon (below the info window, right beside the magic wand) you find a timeramp in the menu, self-explanatory, where the clip is automatically bladed in four parts, either sped up or slowed down. The speed values displayed in the segments are actually target-values. There are, eh, "transitions". Brandons method to manually find the frames to use the blade gives him more control.

• 1 month later...