HD on a 4K timeline

MrSMW

OK techies, what is the best way to do this?

90% of the material I will be using was shot in 4k 50p because I like to slow a lot of stuff by 50% on a 25p (PAL) timeline.

The other 10% will have been shot 1080 50p (plus a tiny amount 1080 100p so I can slow it 4x in post, - mostly dancing, flashing lights etc that hides a lot of noise, artifacts etc).

Is it as simple as grabbing the edge of the frame and dragging it until there is no black showing and then export the entire production when I have finished as 4K, or is there a better way?

Lot's of mixed info on the web, so thought I'd ask here.

I'm using Premiere Pro by the way. And no, I don't wish to change my software thanks 😉

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/7/2020 at 4:40 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Is there a difference between Set To Frame Size and Scale To Frame Size?

I've always used Scale

In Premiere, scale to frame size does some calculations to best scale the footage to the timeline resolution, but it is not optimized for doing any sort of keyframe scaling afterwards. Set to frame size is much better for that. It's a confusing thing to explain, but basically if you're going to want to do anything beyond just filling the frame then it's better to use set.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 8.40.02 AM.png

Original HD footage on UHD timeline. Notice the scale is at 100.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 8.40.13 AM.png

Scale to frame size. Now notice the scale is still at 100.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 8.40.26 AM.png

Set to frame size. Now notice the scale is at 200.

Scale vs. set use different methods to interpolate the frame to the desired size. Scale uses a method that sort of locks the picture in and results in poorer quality should you deviate from the initial setting. Set uses a different method that better allows for flexibility of resizing later like for digital zooms and reframing.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, MrSMW said:

I'm using Premiere Pro by the way. And no, I don't wish to change my software thanks 😉

We all knew there had to be one so I decided I'd be that one 🙂 if you were using DR you'd just drag the clip to the timeline and by default it would inherit the default project settings which is scale to timeline resolution; a round about way of saying you wouldn't have to do anything in DR except add the clip to the timeline.

My own personal journey from PP started earlier this year when work slowed down due to COVID and I was still paying that Adobe subscription. With no video work for awhile and that death by a thousand cuts PP subscription I installed DR, spent a week watching YouTube, and have never looked back; best decision I have made in a long time. I know its not for everyone but it really is so much better in all the ways that matter to me and my workflow (especially financially).

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

There are of course other options and I’m no fan of subscription software but I use around 4 or 5 of the Adobe products as a suite and so somewhat reluctantly I persist!

Yeah, too true. In a typical project, I'll edit in Premiere, do audio in Audition, maybe slap on a motion graphic from After Effects, pop in an end slide from InDesign and if I'm doing the thumbnail it's off to Lightroom for that. Luckily, my employer pays for the Adobe suite, and I can use it for my freelance work. That arrangement should last for at least the next year. But I'm getting sooo fed up with how buggy and unstable Premiere is that I'm really thinking hard about paying for Resolve and making the switch. I might actually have time starting next month to buckle down and learn it.