Revealing Q&A with Sony on the FS700

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/700abP1010339.jpg[/img]

[url="http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/an_nex-fs700_amuse-bouche/"]Above: FS700 in action with Adam Wilt of provideocoalition[/url]

Sony did a live chat today, mostly concerning the FS700. Here is an extract of the most interesting bits, quoted almost verbatim from the horse’s mouth:

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7835/revealing-qa-with-sony-on-the-fs700/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Looks like an FS100 with ND filters added. Only 8 bit though and yet the FS700 costs £7000 Unbelievable. Should I buy this or a new car. Makes you wonder if they got the price from the model number. Guess we'll have to wait till Nab next year for 10 bit out.

Would be a great addition for those wanting slow motion. Maybe it should have been an XDCAM As it will suit professionals for that one function Surely though the consumer market wouldn't pay this?

One year on and still a big gap for a large sensor cam 10 bit SDI out with ND filters at the 4k - 7k Price range. Maybe panasonic will updtate the ill fated af100

Not holding my breath though for any common sense manufacturer to give consumers what they want Only gimic laden 4k crippled toys.

1080p downsampled from 4k - don't mind this as easy for in post production.
4:2:2  8 bit color - should be robust enough. 

Around half the price of Canon c300 but FS700 has the future 4K and it does the slow motion. 
People are complaining about 8 bit vs 10 bit.  The majority won't notice unless some serious heavy duty color grading - and that may not be an issue? 

I like Sony being upfront.  The pricing seems to be fair - remember the C300 is around double in price. 

Thanks for posting Andrew!

[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=566.msg3725#msg3725 date=1334165136]
1080p downsampled from 4k - don't mind this as easy for in post production.
4:2:2  8 bit color - should be robust enough. 

Around half the price of Canon c300 but FS700 has the future 4K and it does the slow motion. 
People are complaining about 8 bit vs 10 bit.  The majority won't notice unless some serious heavy duty color grading - and that may not be an issue? 

I like Sony being upfront.  The pricing seems to be fair - remember the C300 is around double in price. 

Thanks for posting Andrew!
[/quote]

Yes Sony being up front - that's something new from a company that's so proprietary about their products.  Very different from Canon and Nikon's intros for the 5DmkIII and D800.  I'm liking the new Sony, although still waiting for the official product and real product tests.  Let's hope this is a trend that Sony continues onward.  I'm seriously hating on Canon and Nikon right about now...

I know it will be a great camera, but just looking at the picture makes me hope that the Canon 4K EOS will be really good.

Why????

Just because I have no desire to go back to the video camera / lunch box ergonomics. Just looks so dated and non-functional. The DSLR format is just so much easier to work with.

I don't understand why people want to work in 4k when the tools to do this basicly take you up to professional levels anyway at which point you would buy a professional camera.

Unless I'm wrong surely a 4k codec has to lose 3/4 of what it could have done if it was dedicated to 1080.

The 4k recorder hasn't been built yet and may not be. But if it is then I imagine Sony will ask a premium for it and it and maybe find a way that only their recorder can be used. Second manufacturers may not be keen to make a device solely for the FS700.
I'm not sure if you could use an atomos ninja for example and record 1080p in 8 bit but then so can the nikon d800 which also has the ability to use different frame sizes as well as a full camera frame
So

1) It cant currently be used for 4k and if it can add on at least another £5000
2) Downconverting from 4K will give worse results and add another step you dont need
3) The pricetag of £7000 for this
4) If you can use the 8 bit out to record the slo motion then its got a use.