Panasonic Lumix S5 New Firmware w/ 10-bit V-Log & DCI-4K

SoFloCineFile

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mckinise said:

Did the update also add true 24.0 fps?

I just checked my original files from the camera and framerate is 23.98. 

Would you be so kind as to explain more about why an exact fps of 24 is desirable? I'm not that advanced into videography to understand the difference that 23.98 vs 24 fps has on image quality...

98216955_S5framerate.PNG.85f596c5142c641a0bfc091ed467db25.PNG

37 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

It doesn't, camera nerds on fora have a hard on for it, that's all. In the extremely unlikely event that you would ever need to show your movie on a projector that doesn't support 23.98 fps you'll have to speed up your footage by some imperceptible amount. (I'm speaking from experience here).

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Mckinise said:

It is one less step I have to do in post. In a multiple camera set-up, it is one less headache if I can set all cameras to 24 fps.

Understood.

Are you using Davinci for post-editing? Whenever I've had clips with different frame rates I make sure to first set my timeline to the desired framerate (and not let it automatically decide framerate based on the clip properties). then I just work on the ones that I want to conform first by doing multiselect on those clips and then right click, change speed, and set the framerate to 24.

Also, I've noticed since updating to Davinci 17 that when I specify a project framerate of 24 fps, all those 23.98fps clips appear as 24fps once I drop them onto the timeline...so I really don't think the aforementioned additional step is even needed  if using the latest version of Davinci 17 and specifying project framerate beforehand.

Davinci 17 Conform Clips to 24p.png

On 12/3/2020 at 12:39 AM, seanzzxx said:

It doesn't, camera nerds on fora have a hard on for it, that's all. In the extremely unlikely event that you would ever need to show your movie on a projector that doesn't support 23.98 fps you'll have to speed up your footage by some imperceptible amount. (I'm speaking from experience here).

It's about consistency, especially when you're working on professional projects. If I deliver 23.98 fps footage to someone that hired me to film b-roll for their feature or documentary, I'm probably not going to get hired again. That footage needs to seamlessly fit into their work flow. Having a hard on for it really has nothing to do with it. 

If you're personally filming stuff for your own project, then shoot in whatever frame rate your heart desires. 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:20 AM, newfoundmass said:

It's about consistency, especially when you're working on professional projects. If I deliver 23.98 fps footage to someone that hired me to film b-roll for their feature or documentary, I'm probably not going to get hired again. That footage needs to seamlessly fit into their work flow. Having a hard on for it really has nothing to do with it. 

If you're personally filming stuff for your own project, then shoot in whatever frame rate your heart desires. 

Luckely I live in Europe and its all 25fps.