Fear of heights?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

Meh. The wide angle lens makes the ground look further away. In reality I'd probably only loose control of my bowels the once or twice.

Ick. I do have a slight fear of heights, and watching that clip on full screen did give me some mild gut wrenches... :)

But no doubt the view up there was fantastic, even at night.

What that clip does not quite deliver is the wind factor, which makes the height even worse. Dangling up there on the trellis frame of the crane and looking down feels (and is) much more intense than what it looks like in the GoPro (or whichever) footage. Lucky for the fellows the frame was apparently not too wet, and the wind was not too gusty. 

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

I'm guessing that the simple act of driving to visit grandma over there breeds a new level of fearlessness into them, hah-hah.

Your post could come over as a little racist but in reality it's just objective fact. Of an estimated 20 really insane things I've seen happen on roads in the UK, about 70% of the people involved have been Chinese.

No no, these are Russians.  Driving is so bad/crazy/dangerous virtually everyone over there has to drive with dash cameras which means you could likely spend hours watching Russian crash videos, plus all the other crazy phenomenon all those cameras catch.  I was responding to JackHorror above and his "crazy Russians."  Just driving to "grandma's house" in Russia seems like a death defying feat, though all the video evidence seems to also imply you cannot kill a Russian with an automobile.

LOL, your post is maybe a little bit racist though :)

The dash cameeras in the Russian cars are there for legal reasons, not because of the traffic is particularly crazy. 

Well, suppose it is a bit reckless sometimes, in some areas, but the reason people are using those cameras is because without them they might be in deep financial trouble in court, depending on who's the other party in any given accident. 

If the dashcam videos posted online is all your view of the traffic in general is based on, and without the appropriate context, you might indeed end up with a slightly biased picture.

Oh and nope, I'm not Russian, nor I'm an apologist for them, but facts don't always support the popular memes, and the internet is a great meme amplifier.

I believe you guys are also confusing racism with something quite different, but that, too, is getting way OT, isn't it.

The dash cameeras in the Russian cars are there for legal reasons, not because of the traffic is particularly crazy.

As you say, It's the common media issue of: public awareness=problem.

Just because you suddenly begin to notice something doesn't mean it's suddenly more likely or important.

That's just how the human brain works.

Ever learn a new big word in your vocabulary? Thought yourself, "that new word sure is neat," and then began to hear it and used often seemingly at random?

That's not the big word asserting itself into the world, that's you paying attention to it.

Anyway, if everyone had a gopro on their dash here in CA, you'd see just as much ridiculous nonsense on the roads, if not more. Americans are allowed to drive without much financial or legal effort and that evidences itself on the streets with bad drivers.

Go check out what the motorcyclist deal with. Some of them have been wearing helmet cams for a few years now... The YouTube vids have followed.

(And now that I've put motorcycle-helmet-cams in your brain, you'll start to notice THAT a lot more too.)

That's an interesting politically correct theory.  I guess until more countries are forced to run dash cams all the time it can't be proven or disproven.  

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and now it has no doubt been noted by everyone.

Now, back to the gut-wrenching heights, as the nationality of the daredevils, not to mention the perceived traffic culture in their home land, is totally irrelevant to the exciting view they're giving us.

I remember seeing a clip much worse than that, by a bunch of workers working on a TV/com mast somewhere that was as high as that building, or higher, in bright daylight. You could really feel the height and the wind in that video, especially on a big screen.

It's weird how those climbing videos makes your tummy wiggle, but flying or skydiving videos don't.