Nikon D5300 Review and why DSLRs are dead for video

Andrew Reid

Hello EOSHD,

I understand that this site is meant for film-makers but as you test video capabilities of the cameras, it would be also interesting to read how a camera would suite for a consumer.

Not sure this is the right place for your question, this is more of a "gear geek" blog then it is a "film makers" blog, just look at the screening room where actual work from aspiring filmmakers is put on display yet there is hardly any interaction going on, yet camera features are discussed to death.

Looking at your avatar and seeing you want to know which camera would be right for a consumer wanting to shoot running children this makes you a family man. This also puts you in a "family market" category or like the owner of this blog referred to as "these f***ing people that shoot shitty home movies" in this same topic, so I don't think you would have to expect any advice from him and possibly from most other members here. Like the owner also clearly stated: Get a clue! ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello EOSHD,

I understand that this site is meant for film-makers but as you test video capabilities of the cameras, it would be also interesting to read how a camera would suite for a consumer. A consumer would also like to have a camera that is able to make a good quality photos and good quality video. The camera is probably used most to take pictures of the family and by travel.

When you make a two-week trip then video compression is a must. So BlackMagic and Magic Latern are not options for a consumer.

When you want to catch running children then you probably need normal auto-focus. Considering that: would D5300 be really a better choice than 70D?

And what about colours? I have looked several test videos and photos of Panasonic GH3 and Canon cameras at the internet. I agree that video of Panasonic is much sharper. But the colours of GH3 feel quite strange to me. Canon colours seem much more natural.

Finally, I am sure that 4K is a future, but maybe a consumer could wait couple of years and buy a 1080p camera today?

Thanks,

Marko

Personally I would recommend you the olympus om-d e-m1

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12010/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review

I think it has the most important feature for filming without tripod/sliders/steadycam/rig, and that's 5axis image stabilisation. Every handheld footage ,especially without good technique, will look terribly shaky. I think this is even worse than bad autofocus. With the olympus your videos will look smooth.

Hello EOSHD,

I understand that this site is meant for film-makers but as you test video capabilities of the cameras, it would be also interesting to read how a camera would suite for a consumer. A consumer would also like to have a camera that is able to make a good quality photos and good quality video. The camera is probably used most to take pictures of the family and by travel.

When you make a two-week trip then video compression is a must. So BlackMagic and Magic Latern are not options for a consumer.

When you want to catch running children then you probably need normal auto-focus. Considering that: would D5300 be really a better choice than 70D?

And what about colours? I have looked several test videos and photos of Panasonic GH3 and Canon cameras at the internet. I agree that video of Panasonic is much sharper. But the colours of GH3 feel quite strange to me. Canon colours seem much more natural.

Finally, I am sure that 4K is a future, but maybe a consumer could wait couple of years and buy a 1080p camera today?

Thanks,

Marko

As you said, the consumer is not the focus of the site.  However, if you are on the market for more of a prosumer camera, and you really want to learn the ins and out of cinematography and the equipment (not just point and shoot), then you can still get some tips here with thorough reading.

Michael

As soon as you talk "compression", "Blackmagic and ML", you're not in Kansas anymore ;)  Anyway, for the kind of consumers I think you're talking about Sony wins hands down. 

• 6 months later...

Dang, i was about to buy the d5300, until running into this post.. is the camera really that bad ergonomically? I mean i know you cant change aperture while in video mode and also other quirks. Anyway I work on short projects of my own, but mainly I would get his camera for wedding videography which i do. Would the camera be very restrictive for such use? My style of shooting consists of.. framing the shot, focusing and then pressing record.. so basically during a shoot im getting static shots with little or no movement.. are there any wedding videographers out there using this camera? I would appreciate your views on it.. thanx!

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone tested the mic port on their d5300? Cinema5d and the eoshd article says that it's really bad for hiss. Wondering if the issue is just with their copies or is a general manufacturer problem. I might need a camera with a mic jack in the near future and so am tossing up between this and the panny g6.

• 1 month later...