Nikon D5300 Review and why DSLRs are dead for video

Andrew Reid

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

Proper S35 sensor... yeah, but crappy lens mount which I can't use 80% of my glass on! 1.4x crop with Speed Booster on GH3 = larger than S35.

Which mount Speed Booster do you use Andrew?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Danyyyel, it's no joke. Name one Nikon innovation for video since the D90's shoddy 720p heralded others to do better....

As for the things you listed, they're not so unique on their own, but yes somehow the D5300 has accidentally ended up with quite a lot of them.

No moire / aliasing - see 5D Mark III, which came out before the moire & aliasing Nikons. Nikons were a veritable moire and aliasing PARTY before just around 9 months ago when they finally got wise. Shame D800 did not come out this year instead, maybe they could have done a better job.

Frame rates 24p to 60p... numerous other cameras had this a long time before Nikon (2-3 years). Sony were first to 1080/60p. Panasonic I believe offered 1080/24p first with the GH1 before the Canon 5D Mark II firmware update.

Very good DR... I'm not seeing it myself. Way more on others, such as Blackmagic cameras and even the tiny Panasonic GM1 does better in the highlights.

Very good low light... It's not hugely different to others. 5D Mark III is better and GM1 is near enough identical but with more fine detail.

Proper S35 sensor... yeah, but crappy lens mount which I can't use 80% of my glass on! 1.4x crop with Speed Booster on GH3 = larger than S35.

Clean HDMI out... been around since GH2 times. For external recorder this output on the D5200 and D5300 like on other cameras brings little-to-no real image quality increase but for a lot of hassle. Wait until it is 10bit 4:2:2 or 4K then it will actually be useful.

The whole point is that the D5300 has them all. We just need to conclude that the D5300 has alot going for it, and it has a lot going against it. Whats important is different for everyone, but just because a camera doesn't have a new gimmick or special innovation doesn't mean its a bad camera. Actually, I quite dislike this whole "special feature" approach, since it seems that it lets cameras without 25 or 24p off the hook just because it has good stabilization. What are we gonna do with that? We need balanced gear and often the weakest link is very important. D5300 doesn't have a really weak link in IQ, its quite good in every regard, and thats why some like it and why its offering something new. 

I think we all agree that its good and bad in some remarks, and what remarks are important are individual.

Everyone knows, that Nikon D5300 was not produced for real cinematography purposes. But it does almost that. We (all owners) should maximum emphasize its capabilities for video. We shouldn't talk too much and pay too much attention to unimportant things, which this camera has, because it was made for a family market. But since other new cameras (pocket camera, GH4, etc) are experiments and simply just in the beginning of something, Nikon D5300 is a perfect, finalized equipment for the real job. It is a practical camera for our team work today. We even assume it as being very handy.

Has anyone tried to record clean HDMI through BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder or other BMD capture devices? It is interesting, how it records ProRes in 10bit and how then the image is capable to color correction. I think, the second version of Mini Recorder should include higher resolution and 60fps which is very very important. So, I guess, using flat picture styles with the uncompressed HDMI will give higher level technical results and capabilities. Theoretically.

Flat pictures styles and uncompressed HDMI, these are the starting points, from which a more professional test and review of D5300 should start. Otherwise, it sounds a bit dilettantish.

Hi, I'm not really going to defend Nikon on the way they design the D5300, yes controls are real shit.

But over all I'm going to point out that image quality is really nice and you can shot a feature with it if you want to. SHIT I'M SHOOTING MY LAST FILM ON  A D7100 AND D5200!!!

Here I share a TEASER of it (IM SORRY IT STILL DON'T HAVE ENGLISH SUBS), its still private, the password is: teaser.

Enjoy  ;)

You have people that talk and people that do, you belong to the last category, that looked very good, especially since it's shot on a photocamera with videofunctions. I don't understand why one would expect this (very cheap) camera to have all the functionality a real videocamera should have, it still looks like a photocamera to me, the filmmaker community should be grateful to have that kind of cheap tools that are capable of these kind of results, even with it's shortcomings. Not so many years ago this would have been impossible at this price, guess we all have been spoiled. 

Dslr video is not dead, for those who know how to use it it's very much alive.

I agree, DSLR video is far from dead.

I think the D5300 looks like a very capable camera for the price and its market, so the negative review is a bit strange. I don't own anything Nikon, and I hope they continue to improve their cameras. 

Sometimes some of us forget that typical term 'you get what you pay for.' Now, before anybody starts saying how cheap Blackmagic cameras are, they have nothing but the great image. And the C300 is expensive? For its target market, not really. 

Maybe we should stop complaining that cheap cameras aren't innovative enough, and instead, spend our time making money with our current cameras so we can save up and buy an innovative product that suits us.  ;)

Hi, I'm not really going to defend Nikon on the way they design the D5300, yes controls are real shit.

But over all I'm going to point out that image quality is really nice and you can shot a feature with it if you want to. SHIT I'M SHOOTING MY LAST FILM ON  A D7100 AND D5200!!!

Here I share a TEASER of it (IM SORRY IT STILL DON'T HAVE ENGLISH SUBS), its still private, the password is: teaser.

Enjoy  ;)

@Wild Ranger, what is that shit video you showed to us, it is not 4k, it does not have 13 stop of dynamic range, it does not have super auto focus, it does not have focus peaking, it does not have IBIs............. oh I forgot it does not have RAW.

More seriously, this is some damn good image, editing and trailer for your movie. Some where saying soccer mom camera in this thread. What you are showing is that an image says a thousand words, that in capable hands these Nikon's produce some very cinematic images. Bravo

@Wild Ranger, what is that shit video you showed to us, it is not 4k, it does not have 13 stop of dynamic range, it does not have super auto focus, it does not have focus peaking, it does not have IBIs............. oh I forgot it does not have RAW.

You forgot the "Baby Photo Mode", I don't understand how he managed to work around that glaring flaw. Maybe if more people started posting movies like that and start to discuss what you actually CAN do with these kind of "dead" camera's that would certainly be better then staring at pixels and citing numbers.

Wow really thank you guys!!! Nice u liked the teaser of "Black or White" (that is the english title)

We are almost 70% of finishing shooting the film and I'm extremely happy with the overall results. 

Here a got a frame grab of what we shot this saturday:

1962010_10203485543644599_2144659278_o.j

This Nikon are powerful, yes they have their flaws but is the same way when first canon appeared, just try a little bit and you can get something nice.

PS: obviously next time I'll try the GH4 :)

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

You forgot the "Baby Photo Mode", I don't understand how he managed to work around that glaring flaw. Maybe if more people started posting movies like that and start to discuss what you actually CAN do with these kind of "dead" camera's that would certainly be better then staring at pixels and citing numbers.

The Baby Mode was introduced with the D5300. The 7100 and 5200 don't have it. That is why he was able to shoot this film on those cameras. It just wouldn't be possible on a D5300 because of the new Baby Mode. Get a clue!

Yucatan Mexico Nikon D5300 Video Samples

Only have a free vimeo account and this is 12mins... so too big to post on vimeo.

This was shot in Jan-Feb 2014 in the Yucatan/Campeche regions of Mexico. The purpose of this footage was to see if this consumer-grade Nikon D5300 could produce acceptable video images for possible use on future film projects. 

All of the footage was shot flat, and the footage is not graded. Only auto-color balance and auto-stabilization with a little sharpening in FinalCutPro were used. The footage is all hand-held and a Nikon 18-200DX f3.5-5.6 VR lens was used for most of it. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this, but wanted to share with others who might be curious about the Nikon D5300 and/or those who dig Mexico and want to see some of the things I saw. :)

Haven't watched the videos yet cause I an on my phone. Will watch later.

I think there is some frustration cause the cameras come close to being perfect, but the manufacturer doesn't go the last step to make it perfect, Even though it is a small, easy step. However it doesn't make sense that the D5300 makes it. The D7200 should though.

As for not being able to change the aperture in live view... Perhaps the motor for the mirror and for the aperture are the same. i.e. once the mirror is moved into position the aperture is too, with no way to change it. They would have to install a second motor for that, which adds cost.

Lol, I still must must laught about all that widespread assumptions, that all smartphone users are former or potential DSLR users and that they weakened number of people regulary using DSLR. It definiteley hit compact camera users but how much it influenced DLSR users? Around 5% of them stopped to use bigger cameras in favor of phones?? I dont know. And how many use DSLR for video? Just a fraction. Big numbers makes lot of people blind. Manufacturers only see big $$$$$$$$ and media starts instantly talking about death of DLSR.

Result will be that we will get DSLRs with huge retina displays with Android or iOS and slogans in ads will be talking about that we can use fabulous Instagram App in it. We will make our calls with camera too. Google, NSA and photo manufacturers will closely watch our prefered ISO/ apperture/ setting habits and your camera will loudly interfere with speakers everywhere because it will be still online :D
Samsung already started with this.

Hope somebody will not forgot to make good cameras in the future. :)