Jittery footage from 5D Mark II

Peter Rzazewski

Unrelated to the speed ramping problem I posted last week.

I've been noticing that a lot of footage online has a bit of a jittery/jumpy feel when panning/dollying. For example, note the panning across the dash at 8sec in this clip: 

I've ran some tests with my camera at 1/48th shutter for 24fps comparing it to footage shot higher at 1/200th shutter and it's about the same. The footage was shot on a solid sachtler tripod and head so it's got nothing to do with shakiness in the camera. My understanding is that the higher shutter rate may be the culprit, but in my case it does not appear to be so. What could it be?

A few ideas, maybe you could help me isolate the problem:

- slow CF cards (my fastest card is a 200x 8gb)?

- settings in camera? Note that I am using magic lantern as well

?

Thanks.

Peter

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks guys. I understand that. I'm starting to suspect it's my computer and not the video itself. I made a short test of dolly and pan shots at different shutter rates (see vid below) and when I watch this video on my computer, the footage jitters/jumps/almost skips slightly at all the shutter rates. But then when I viewed the video on my iphone from vimeo, it didn't appear to have this problem anymore. Not sure what's going on but it's frustrating to review/edit video without seeing it play properly. Anyone have any insight into this?

https://vimeo.com/86661352

it's my computer and not the video itself.

Don't use ML for a round of tests.  Go back to the OEM firmware.

Shoot 24p and then 60p or 60i.  Watch what happens during playback of those files directly from the CF card.  BTW, your shutter speed on the camera is irrelevant to the issue.

Overloading the data rate with a firmware hack can cause dropped frames.  I did this on occasion with my old GH1.  A good SD card could handle the higher data rate, but using slower cards would create issues.