A7SIII Long GOP vs All-I - any feedback or differences?

scotchtape

Just asking because of BF sale on V90 cards... is All-I worth it for A7SIII? Everything I've shot so far in my "career" is long-gop.

Is ALL-I easier to edit? The data rates are much higher, not sure if it's worth it for most corporate stuff. IF you've got feedback please let me know wether to spend my money or save it.

I've got some older lexar V60s I've stopped in using in favor of the Sony SF series, unfortunately I have 2 older SF cards with no V-rating on them saying W:100MB/s. I also have 2 newer ones with the V60 on them.

Do the older SF series cards work as V60? google-fu is failing me as they used the same model number for the newer and older cards...

• scotchtape changed the title to A7SIII Long GOP vs All-I - any feedback or differences?
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Just asking because of BF sale on V90 cards... is All-I worth it for A7SIII? Everything I've shot so far in my "career" is long-gop.

Is ALL-I easier to edit? The data rates are much higher, not sure if it's worth it for most corporate stuff. IF you've got feedback please let me know wether to spend my money or save it.

I've got some older lexar V60s I've stopped in using in favor of the Sony SF series, unfortunately I have 2 older SF cards with no V-rating on them saying W:100MB/s. I also have 2 newer ones with the V60 on them.

Do the older SF series cards work as V60? google-fu is failing me as they used the same model number for the newer and older cards...

I’ve not noticed any difference other than it’s much more edit friendly in ALL-I but much higher data rates. 

I haven’t compared them side by side as I haven’t had time, but nothing has jumped at me. 

The new M1 macs fly through all the codecs, so the benefit to ALL-I if you have an M1 isn’t as prominent. 

On the FS7, XAVC-I I wipes the floor with XAVC-L. Every camera is different. 

Not sure what the sale is, but direct from prograde prices are better than any v90 I’ve seen. I’d get some v90’s just to have the most options available outside of the two S&Q modes that need Type A. I’ve been shooting mostly h265 to keep the files smaller. Outside of interviews I’m pretty much all 60/120p with my b-roll, absolutely love the options. I can’t tell the difference with all-I and long gop, but I’m not pushing my image very far in post. YMMV. 

chris

12 hours ago, scotchtape said:

$100 bh vs $130 from prograde.

Now sold out but I think BH still accepting orders.

Are you making proxies from the h.265? Or are you using apple M1? 😄

With h265 I use 10-bit 4:2:0 and it edits really smooth. 4:2:2 chokes things up, but 4:2:0 has no issues. Eventually I’m going to test the all-I vs gop vs prores on the ninja. Just haven’t had the time and I’m really happy with how everything looks right now. For quick turnaround stuff the 4:2:0 is the perfect balance of IQ and file size.

Prograde has a discount code BFCM20 for Black Friday.

chris