Sony A6000 gets zebra, 16:9 screen and clean HDMI output

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony A6000 top mode dial

Sony have taken their Alpha re-think to the NEX 6. For video it looks like an interesting alternative to the ageing NEX 7, adding a 16:9 screen, zebra, dedicated movie mode, new sensor and uncompressed HDMI output.

It also points to some of the new features we're sure to see on the NEX 7's actual successor, the A7000.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The AX100 seems to use the same BIONZ X processor as the a6000, so it's a case of keeping the a6000 down. The processor seems to be able to do 10 bit h264 recordings at high bitrates, it can do 4K, etc. Perhaps at least the a7000 will do all that...

As for the Nikon... is it the same sensor as in the D5200/D7100? Then might also be used in the K-3...

D5300 and 7100 are the same soft and now well implemented video.

Somehow  the entry level such as the D3200/D3300 has the best video resolution and implementation. D3300 has 40mbps

The nikon site say it take ultra sharp movies

"The D3300 doesn't only take great photos, it takes dazzling 1080p Full HD video with sound, too! Record smooth, ultra-sharp HD movies" Google it

here is an original file

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d3300_review/sample_images/

but in youtube you can see better samples although it heavily compressed

• Administrators

Not sure about royalties. They already have AVC H.264 MP4 in the camera, and H.264 already forms the basis of AVCHD, a Sony & Panasonic standard.

Unless you mean they have to license the Quicktime MOV wrapper from Apple? Maybe they have to pay a small fee for that but there's nothing stopping them from using MP4 as now at a higher resolution and bitrate than 1440x1080 / 12Mbit.

No doubt it looks like a tech breakthrough however the both  lens selection  are yet limited.
Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS  is a good progress  in auto-focus lenses with OSS but it took years from the introduction of the 50mm OSS.

Some compromised has been made for both lens QC (good sample), and IQ. its already a few years now to be waiting for a complete system. (near PRO grade lenses for a camera with 10fps with the world fastest AF)

Andrew, you are at the Sony event for wining a FS700, can you not tell them that we want video like GH3 (decent codec and bitrate) ? 

The new sony A77 is probably gonna get 5 axis stab from Olympus, but come on if it gets the same video mode as the NEX 6 - 7 it's gonna be such a shame. If not, then we finally have a camera with 5 axis, good stills quality (better than EM-1) and 60 and 24 fps (better than EM-1) with good video. Then we just miss the small body size. 

Again, dream would be a Sony A7R still image quality and body size with at least 5DIII video quality + 60fps + 5 axis stab. That would be the best camera ever for me and many other I guess !!

D3300 has 40mbps

It depends on the subject matter but I've been getting around 37Mbps on the D5300 when shooting at 50fps. It might go as high as 40 for more detailed images or when shooting at 60fps. If the figure you cite is for 50/60fps, then the D3300 and D5300 seem to be comparable. If you're talking about 24/25/30fps, then that's something else. I'm getting around 20Mbps on the D5300 at 25fps, and the same on the D5200.

I really liked to work with the Nex 5n two years ago, but i have no see any video improvements on Sony since these days.

Comparing my A7R with my Nex5n the differences are not massively apparent until you raise iso.  at 8000iso the a7r is as clean as the nex5n at 3200iso.  the detail is also a lot better - if the nex5n's 1080p compared to true 720p, the A7R is somewhere between true 720p and 1080p.  

AVCHD still limits things in terms of post production.  

The talking internal h264 the Sony Nex5n still holds up against everything primarily still photography based, apart from GH3 (which didn't improve much over gh2 in terms of video performance), This has a larger sensor too.  

I sold my Nex 7, odd as it may seem, because of their proprietary hot-shoe.  I had to use an adapter for my radio trigger to my Canon flashes, which was a pain.  Other than that, and slow focus, I loved that camera.  Now that Sony has gotten smart about the hot shoe I'm intrigued again.

Sony uses APS-C sized sensors, and for photography, they deliver much better IQ compared to MFT, at least for me.  Also, these are small cameras with EVF which are important for older people who need reading glasses (like me).  

Sony has also created an API where you can control these, and some earlier cameras from any computing device with wireless networking.  Like Canon ML, ONLY started with the manufacturer!  

Go Sony! :)

That's good to provide Clean HDMI output. However, I think A6000 missed another critical chance is the high frame rate movie / slow motion. 

GH4 provides it in the way of variable frame rate up to 96fps which can produce 4 times slower in 24 fps playback. That's already quite a good selling point for the semi-pro video production! You never get another camera that provides such feature from a estimated $1,700 USD body. If GH4 can make a great success by it, I think all other brands should react at once to go against it. I have reminded Sony development team last year. I hope the firmware update can achieve this as A6000 has a larger buffer for the 11 fps continuous shot.