Nikon could leave camera market

Andrew Reid

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you see how many shitty compact cameras Nikon used to make? Masses and masses of them, for the masses. The market has practically vanished. They did nothing about it. Of course the market is getting smaller. Professional tools are a niche compared to consumer cameras. It is only high margins and expensive price tags that keep them from being completely unviable. Now that the camera companies have backed out from bothering to compete in massive consumer markets, they have dug themselves an even larger hole. Also remember with Nikon it is not just cameras that are the problem.

Their outdated chipmaking business is about to hit the wall as well.

It has about one customer.

But masses and masses of shitty cameras are indeed still being made—for smartphones. But they're not built by Nikon. 

The shitty camera market exists, and business is booming; every person on the planet now has a shitty built-in lens camera—right in our smartphone. That's just the evolution of technology. Sony Walkmans have also disappeared, but not the market for portable audio. 

No need to pour one out for the standalone compact camera market, good riddance! But the overall camera market is alive and well, and cameras ostensibly have become a feature that drives competition among smartphones—how often is the camera the most heavily marketed feature every release? Nearly all of the time. 

Now on to the subject of Nikon. Whether it's because corporate culture, Japanese or otherwise, there's nothing unusual about large companies going under. Regardless, Nikon's products weren't competitive enough, just like Olympus. Maybe Nikon should have paid more attention to mobile (See Samsung), but maybe not (See Red).

Regardless, I think you are a bit sentimental about these camera brands. But they have to justify their existence.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any one ever saw a iPhone teardown?

It is a battery, a tiny mainboard, two or 3 camera modules, screen module and some connectors. The BOM cost for this in the iPhone 12 Pro is US$406 (https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_12_pro_bom_come_up_to_406-news-46442.php), probably much less, since Apple could get massive discounts buying it in bunch. Let's say it goes to US$300.

Almost no mechanical adjustments needed, the assembly might be very cheap. Easily the profit is around 300% per unit.

Now get a Nikon camera, see the immense complexity of it, the much higher price of a much bigger sensor (made in fractions of quantity of smaller smartphone chips), the amount of mechanical adjustments needed, which translates in much costly labor.

Probably the profit is MUCH lower, with more complexity, and in 2019 Nikon sold around 1.73 million units between DSLR and mirrorless. Apple sold around 37,7 million units of the iPhone 11 in the FIRST HALF of 2020.

My bets is that they don't give a damn to the traditional camera market.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:25 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Did you see how many shitty compact cameras Nikon used to make? Masses and masses of them, for the masses. The market has practically vanished. They did nothing about it. Of course the market is getting smaller. Professional tools are a niche compared to consumer cameras. It is only high margins and expensive price tags that keep them from being completely unviable. Now that the camera companies have backed out from bothering to compete in massive consumer markets, they have dug themselves an even larger hole. Also remember with Nikon it is not just cameras that are the problem.

Their outdated chipmaking business is about to hit the wall as well.

It has about one customer.

It is probable that Nikon will try harder to sell their lithography gear to the Chinese as the demand from Intel fades.

China wants to become self sufficient in semiconductors, but their domestic industry still lags the market by several generations.

Nikon's equipment is quite good enough to get the Chinese close to the state of the art, allowing them to at least keep the gap from widening.

So expect that mutual interest will bring them to a deal, quietly.

15 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Any one ever saw a iPhone teardown?

It is a battery, a tiny mainboard, two or 3 camera modules, screen module and some connectors. The BOM cost for this in the iPhone 12 Pro is US$406 (https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_12_pro_bom_come_up_to_406-news-46442.php), probably much less, since Apple could get massive discounts buying it in bunch. Let's say it goes to US$300.

Almost no mechanical adjustments needed, the assembly might be very cheap. Easily the profit is around 300% per unit.

Now get a Nikon camera, see the immense complexity of it, the much higher price of a much bigger sensor (made in fractions of quantity of smaller smartphone chips), the amount of mechanical adjustments needed, which translates in much costly labor.

Probably the profit is MUCH lower, with more complexity, and in 2019 Nikon sold around 1.73 million units between DSLR and mirrorless. Apple sold around 37,7 million units of the iPhone 11 in the FIRST HALF of 2020.

My bets is that they don't give a damn to the traditional camera market.

Ever watch Shark Tank or Dragon's Den?

The point of the game, for any company selling any products -> 1 product (cost to make XX amount) but sell for 3 to 4 times XX amount. But, if you are selling it for 3 to 4 times XX amount, that amount has to make sense to the customer.

At the beginning the iphone was like $699 (top end model - and yeah times and part prices have changed too over the last decade or so) - nonetheless, its slowly climbed to $1199 and customers deem it worthy to pay that... 

So, if Nikon isn't selling it for 3 to 4 times the amount to create it... whose fault is that??? May be they feel that if they put in 6K @ 60p into their camera and charged $6K for it, nobody would buy it?

This is all because of this cofake-1984 pandemic hoax... People be aware. They are destroying jobs, economy, everything, for the great reset. These draconian measures are being implemented by these technocrats globalists... There is no pandemic. No health problem, only a political one... Devide and conquer, this is their aim...

We have to fight their agenda... otherwise we will be all out of business soon. There is no cure for the hunger virus.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/zH8UjevO3O4m/

3 hours ago, flip21 said:

This is all because of this cofake-1984 pandemic hoax... People be aware. They are destroying jobs, economy, everything, for the great reset. These draconian measures are being implemented by these technocrats globalists... There is no pandemic. No health problem, only a political one... Devide and conquer, this is their aim...

We have to fight their agenda... otherwise we will be all out of business soon. There is no cure for the hunger virus.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/zH8UjevO3O4m/

For tinfoil hat speech, I have another video forum to suggest to you...

15 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

For tinfoil hat speech, I have another video forum to suggest to you...

Yes, everything that goes against the official narrative, makes you mad, because you cannot live in a world other than the one thought world, you cannot live without believing that the system cares for you: The nazis used to say: it is for your own safety... so you use the same strategy communist use to avoid discussion, that is. labeling people: like tinfoil, saying that someone that question this covid fake pandemic believes in flat earth, is a conspiracy theorists.... well, I f I'm all of that, and if you believe that something created by Bill Gates's propaganda machine, that affects only 1% of the entire population can harm you, well, you are just a useful Idiot, as Lenin said... I know the forum right for you: its called OCD Forum, it deals with the virus fear paranoia, and it has no cure, unlike cofake LOL 

Here your Savior... LOL

1 minute ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's go back to Nikon.

I wish... Covid 19 is destroying business, as it was planned, by the great reset-the 4th revolution. It ruined my life, and many others... It is an important subject... it is an unavoidable subject right now, because it is the cause of all this economic crisis, not the virus of course, it never was about the virus, but the draconian measures taken... I fear for the camera industry... chinese smart phones will kill the business, now with the help of covid measures, and corrupt leaders... 😞

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-19-could-kill-people-hunger-virus-warns-oxfam/

On 11/26/2020 at 2:57 AM, Danyyyel said:

WOW at lease one poster who has some insight.

Thank you. 

Too much has been said about Nikon exiting the camera market. Nonsense.

People are forgetting that, unlike other camera companies, Nikon does not depend on video products for their survival. They can just keep trimming their camera lines until they reach equilibrium. They have started doing that. Their newer lenses seem really good (and expensive).

If they stick some neat video options in their newer cameras I think it's a bonus. First and foremost, as I've said, they are photo camera company.

• 3 weeks later...

As a pro Nikon user for 40 years, I have mixed feelings here. I love my d850 for its still image quality and features. But I’d guess their contract with Sony for the sensor limited the video features and codec. As I look to making more video, I only have to look at a used Lumix GH5S for example to see a simple solution for exceptional video features and in-camera 10bit, which for me are more relevant than full frame vs m43. Disappointed by the Z ii offerings. So I won’t invest in a Z body, and will instead likely add a video-centric camera from another maker, even as I still swoon over my 2-year old Nikon 850.