Aputure 600d vs forza 500

zerocool22

So aputure finally released the aputure 600D. 
https://www.aputure.com/products/ls-600d-pro/ ==>1890$ (I wonder how much the € price will be. )

So im still debating if I should get the 600D or the nanlite forza 500. The 600D is about 10K lux brighter with the reflector @ 1m + can also mount the aputure spotlight. The forza 500 is 5600 kelvin and is a lot cheaper 1500$ (so I could use the money to buy diffusion, filters but sadly no aputure spotlight).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd wait to see if the fan noise on the 600D is just as quiet as the 300D

The Forzas are too loud for me. Also the lack of wifi/remote control without needing to purchase extra doo dads is a bit silly IMO. The way Aputure ties in all their lights is pretty dope.

You can't just buy any fresnel, I mean you can, but some of them only work well with certain lights, hence each manf. making their own.

I am a big fan of the Forza 500 and have been using it for close to two years now, but just last week the screw thread on one side of the yoke stripped out on me and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do to fix it. The forzas give you a lot of light for a competitive price, but no question the aputures are better built. Very excited for the 600D.

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

You can't just buy any fresnel, I mean you can, but some of them only work well with certain lights, hence each manf. making their own.

I mean you kind of can. I've used 5 different light brands Aputure, Clar, Godox, and a couple others which names slip my mind. All bowens mount. I've used 4 different brands of bowens mounts accessories across these lights too. Only one of the lights I remember having a difficult time with one of the attachments, but it still went on. Yes its probably most convenient to get all the same brand but if you wanna save cash its not the end of the world mixing and matching.

I mean worse comes to worse you can always return a mount for another brand. But my point was you'll be able to find a spotlight attachment for the Forza. 

In regards to durability I can't speak on the Forza. However I dropped my Clar illumi 300 from 20 feet onto hard pavement and it still works. I've also ran it during pouring rain and it still works. I was really surprised honestly that it didn't break. However it means I am going to be buying their higher powered 500w lights. 

For the price of one aputure 600D I can buy almost three 500w Clar lights. Which is actually what I am going to do.

If you have the cash the Aputures are probably better but for me definitely not worth the money. 

Unfortunately I think all of these lights are relative rip offs compared to hot lights. I can get a 30 year old hot light that looks like its been through hell and it still works. Wouldn't be surprised if it still works for another 30 years. I'd guess these LED's will probably last 1/3rd the life of that. That said I've been getting rid of all my hotlights and getting LED's. The tiny power output is just too convenient to not utilize. 

9 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Aren't they both bowens mount? You can get a spotlight(fresnel lens) for any bowens mount light. 

I am personally going to get the CLAR Illumi Max 500. Its on sale right now for $700. I have their 300w model and its nice. 

Well actually no, the COB size is different. but if somehow somebody managed to do so, I am very interested in how.
Yes but the CLAR lights are adorama only, which kinda sucks if you live in Europe (shipping + taxes). 

5 hours ago, scotchtape said:

The Forzas are too loud for me. 

I thought they fixed that in the end of 2019? Or is it still a problem? As I saw a video of a guy saying the aputure was actually louder then the forza's.

Forza has a fan in the PS and head.  Aputure PS is silent.  From what I can remember someone said the fans in the 600 head are even quieter than the 300 because the head is bigger and fans are also bigger.

Watch enough videos and you can find one with the Forza fan noise (even the fixed ones).

Meh, Forza 500 fan noise is absolutely negligible, at least on my unit. I use it on talking heads and interviews quite close to the mic day in and day out, I've never had a problem with it at all. 

Most rooms are going to have a lot more ambient noise anyway, in real world use I'd honestly be shocked if anyone could truly have a complaint. 

• 4 months later...

So I’m bumping this thread because I’ve been offered a very good deal on a Nanlite 300. My other lights are 120ds (1 and 2) and I am just wondering if the lights mix tint wise. I’m a bit worried about, let’s say, purple fill lights because of different tints.