Panasonic S5 - Rigging Ideas + Parts List

herein2020

I now have my Panasonic S5 rigged to meet every type of project that I shoot and I know how much time it can take to get your gear rigged up in a way that works for you so I figured I'd share my setup in case someone else is looking for ideas. Every rig is kept as simple as possible, I can go from one rig to another within less than a minute and none of the rigs require tools to put together or take apart. Also, all of my handles, lenses, rails, tripod plates, audio equipment, and even the V Mount battery is interchangeable with my Canon C200 which is what I wanted for simplicity.

For each set up I provide a parts list and what I use that setup for.

All Setups - Parts
SmallRig Cage for Panasonic S5 Camera 2983
SMALLRIG Quick Release NATO Rail 1.6
Sigma MC-21 EF-Mount to L-Mount Adapter
Andoer Rapid Connect Adapter with Quick Release Sliding Plate

Setup 1 - This is my setup for when I am shooting video only and have the talent wired for audio via a wireless lav mic or a wireless microphone. The extra weight makes handholding easy and I can rest the back on my shoulder or chest for short interview type work. I also shoot content for some YouTube influencer's channels and this setup lets me shoot hand held while capturing their lav audio. With this setup I think I can shoot for about 10hrs without running out of battery life

Equipment

Canon EF 24mm-105mm F4
Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR Adapter
Sennheiser G4 receiver
Sennheiser to XLR cable
SMALLRIG Aluminum Side Handle with NATO Clamp
SMALLRIG Tripod Mounting Kit with 2x plates and 2x 15mm Rod Clamps
SMALLRIG 16 Inch Rods x 2
Bebob Factory GmbH COCO-15V III V Mount Battery Plate
V150 Bebob Battery
USB A to USB C cable
2 x Andoer Rapid Connect Adapters

Setup 2 - Same equipment as setup 1 but with the addition of a Manfrotto Video Tripod which also has an Andoer Rapid Connect Receiver plate mounted on it. In the picture I show how I can slide the S5 off of the rails and slide the C200 onto the rails within seconds.

Setup 3 - This is my long form event setup. If I just need a static camera and natural audio this would be my setup. Although I show an external monitor here, I don't actually use one but I showed it anyway in case someone wanted to see where a monitor could go.

Equipment

SMALLRIG HTN2362 Rotating NATO Clamp Handle
SMALLRIG Tripod Mounting Kit with 2x plates and 2x 15mm Rod Clamps
SMALLRIG 16 Inch Rods x 2
Bebob Factory GmbH COCO-15V III V Mount Battery Plate
V150 Bebob Battery
USB A to USB C cable
2 x Andoer Rapid Connect Adapters
Video Tripod

Setup 4 - Same equipment as Setup 3 but without the tripod. This is my handheld setup when I am shooting video only and do not need high quality XLR audio. 

Setup 5 - This is my handheld hybrid shoot setup when everything gets crazy and I am shooting a mixture of video and photos and will not use the onset audio at all.

Equipment

SMALLRIG HTN2362 Rotating NATO Clamp Handle

Setup 6 - Same setup as 5 but on a monopod. I use the top handle for additional stability and additional points of contact. I also can use the monopod as a light glidecam if I need a little forward or backward movement.

Setup 7 - This is my gimbal setup for everything from real estate to music videos. 

Equipment

Canon EF 24mm F2.8
Ronin S with Inverted Handle Sling Grip

Setup1.jpg

Setup2.jpg

Setup3.jpg

Setup4.jpg

Setup5.jpg

Setup6.jpg

Setup7.jpg

• 8 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, tonyk23 said:

Hello pal,

You have a nice set up there.

Do you power your Panasonic s5 with the V mount and the USB A to C cable?

Just struggling to power simultaneously my Panasonic S5 and my Video assist 12 g 5'' from a V mount..

Thanks in advance

Yes that is how I do it, I power the S5 with a USB A to C cable. Funny thing is, when I got the S5 I looked all over for a USB-C V Mount base plate that was as good as the Bebob Factory GmbH COCO-15V III V Mount Battery Plate and none of the ones that has USB C ports looked like they would work for my needs. So I almost gave up before I decided to just try a USB A to C cable and what do you know....it powers the S5 with no problems.

I also tested powering an external monitor using a Hirose to Sony battery adapter plugged into an external monitor and it all worked fine. I estimate I could run for about 4hrs off of one V-Mount powering both the camera and an external monitor. Personally I don't like using external monitors and so I've never actually used that setup but its good to know it's a possibility if I need it. I think I can run about 6-8hrs off of the V-Mount if only the camera is connected.