Pro camcorder ergonomics - why are they so rubbish?

Andrew Reid

Camera ergonomics are so bad that people had to create accessory brands to help the problem 😮 

And they went pretty big nowdays !

and finally, I say all that, and i made the extreme choice of buying a Sigma fp ... at least, with that body i didn't expect any ergonomics and created mine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Pewwinck said:

Thanks for answering Barefoot 🙂

When i see the quality and character of a 16mm bmpcc sensor. i believe it would surely be possible in a reasonnably small body. this sensor with a 8-80 f2.8 fixed lens on a PD150 body ergonomics would be a dream for me 🙂 and for a lot of documentary run n gun  style film makers.  But no brands want such a longevity now because they want you to buy a new camera every 1 or 2 years, and we do !!!

🙂

I guess that is essentially the space that cameras like the DVX200, CX350, UX90 and Z150 fill. Camcorder style, 1" sensor (or 4/3rds for the DVX200), with zoom lenses covering around 9-120mm.

Of course they generally lack things like raw, log, 10-bit etc, but that essentially comes down to market forces. Anybody who cares about maximum image quality is also far more likely to favour a larger sensor cinema camera. You might be in the minority who feel otherwise.

Red cancelled their original Scarlet concept ("3K for $3K") for similar reasons - once DSLR's started recording video, they most knew people wanting to move to a more "cinema" style camera would be far more likely to purchase a FF interchangeable-lens camera, rather than a fixed lens s16 camera. 

7 minutes ago, barefoot_dp said:

I guess that is essentially the space that cameras like the DVX200, CX350, UX90 and Z150 fill. Camcorder style, 1" sensor (or 4/3rds for the DVX200), with zoom lenses covering around 9-120mm.

If only the DVX200 had a MFT mount then you could have paired it with the Panasonic 14-140mm for when you need a big 10x zoom, or a 25mm f1.7 when you need better lowlight performance, or a 60mm f2.8 for pretty headshot interviews, etc

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

If only the DVX200 had a MFT mount then you could have paired it with the Panasonic 14-140mm for when you need a big 10x zoom, or a 25mm f1.7 when you need better lowlight performance, or a 60mm f2.8 for pretty headshot interviews, etc

I think AF was the primary reason Panasonic went with the integrated lens there. I sooooo wish they made an interchangeable lens version alongside it.