Possible to record raw ml footage to ssd from hdmi on canon 5d2?

Peter Rzazewski

I'm looking at buying some 1000x  and up CF cards for my canon 5d2 to record raw (via magiclantern firmware) and came across some info about recording from hdmi and even a cf>ssd interface instead of cf cards. These CF cards are expensive and fill up fast. SSD makes more sense given that a decent 500gb ssd is only $250. Anyone have some experience with non cf card recording?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unfortunately no. You can't. You'll have to make do with fast CF cards.

I don't believe that's necessarily true. There are cf>ssd readers and I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing HDMI recording using external recorders like the Atomos Ninja 2. I'm just curious if it's as good/better than CF raw recording while using magiclantern.

You can't output the raw data over the hdmi port in the Canons.

There has been a lot of talk about cf to ssd adapters in the beginning of the ML raw uprising, but never heard success stories. The CF/SSD adapters are pretty slow actually. If someone got it working by now it'd be all over the front page here and where not I think...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't believe that's necessarily true. There are cf>ssd readers and I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing HDMI recording using external recorders like the Atomos Ninja 2. I'm just curious if it's as good/better than CF raw recording while using magiclantern.

It's unfortunate but it's true, you can't record the raw data to anything other than CF cards. And yes, you can record 4:2:2 8bit uncompressed video [not raw] to an SSD recorder (Atomos/etc) through the HDMI port, but yet again even that is not possible with the mk II since it doesn't output a clean signal. The 7D, mk III and 1Dx/c can though.