Blackmagic Prodution 4k now shipping for 3k!

TBEagle2

Hi,

We started shipping the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K, plus we have also lowered the price to US$2,995. This means if you have ordered, you will be able to get your camera at a lower price. We have been doing a lot of work to lower the price and it's nice that we can do it from the start of shipping so everyone can get the advantage of that.

I think this new lower price is important as we really need this camera to supply Ultra HD content into our ATEM 4K production switchers, but live production needs multiple cameras. If the cameras are lower cost, it really helps the live production guys afford multiple cameras so they can build a really powerful live production setup.

Initially the cameras will ship with ProRes recording. We are working as hard as we can to add RAW recording quickly and to build cameras so everyone gets their orders asap. We are so thankful for everyone's patience as we sorted out production for this camera, however it's great it's now shipping. It's exciting to be able to work on a camera like this and I cannot wait to see the work done on it.

We have some other software updates due soon for the other cameras, so we are continuing to work hard and I will post some updates as we can.

Regards,

Grant

Blackmagic Design

Was never expecting the lower price! No raw yet surprisingly

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

IF I were Panasonic I would try to come up with a new lens 24-90mm 2.8  IS  (fullframe terms) to go hand in hand with their GH4. Allso a small product change to include UHD II card slot in say GH4a  and some other good improvements would be smart for later part of this year. 

Perhaps a silent shutter 4K timelapse RAW video feature for instance. 

Since it will be only for while that the GH4 holds the fame and then other great products will be released from competitors. 

Awesome! Anyone else have a feeling that this was done (price cut) due to the announcement of the GH4?

Well, yes and no. It's easy for us to argue either way, because none of us really know what the internal talks inside Blackmagic have been like. BM did the same with the BMCC, so it could be argued that this was to be expected, anyway.

It has now become a Blackmagic tradition. :)

I'm not quite convinced if the GH4 and the BMCC4K are the most likely competitors to each other, anyway. They are just the first ones to do 4K. Well, we'll see.

Since it will be only for while that the GH4 holds the fame and then other great products will be released from competitors. 

As usual.

This year the spin of "the gadget carousel" looks to be quite interesting from both stills and video side of things, and we're barely half way through February.

This could either be some really good news or some really bad news. I'm gonna stay optimistic and Im happy it's shipping. I guess we'll see some footage soon enough. Thanks

If you mean BMPC-4K footage, it's been available for a while, including several camera-original 4K ProRes HQ files:

http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/bmpc-4k-1st-sample-footage-finally/

http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/bmpc-4k-marco-solorios-bmw-car-racing-doc-teaser/

http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/bmpc-4k-music-video-dpd-by-captainhook/

IF I were Panasonic I would try to come up with a new lens 24-90mm 2.8  IS  (fullframe terms) to go hand in hand with their GH4. Allso a small product change to include UHD II card slot in say GH4a  and some other good improvements would be smart for later part of this year. 

Perhaps a silent shutter 4K timelapse RAW video feature for instance. 

Panasonic already have the 12-35 2.8 IS (24-70 FF equiv) which is a great lens. You want a cine version or just the extra 20mm on the telephoto end.

If I understand correctly, the GH4 will already take 16MP RAW photos with a silent shutter that can be used for timelapse. So, it can in fact do 8K RAW timelapse with a silent shutter!

Checkmate, Canon.

Why? C300 is still a hot rental and I understand C100 is selling pretty well, too.

I don't think they are too concerned with BM or Panasonic at the moment. BMPCC seems attractive (4K, high dynamic range, etc) but not very practical. Audio recorded separately, the inability to format media in camera or know the available rec time remaining, the price of SSDs, the internal battery, poor ergonomics and a crop factor of 1.86 (what they call s35 is not completely s35). So far BM cameras have felt like they've been released in beta stage (and firmware still feels like that)

Panasonic: excessive crop factor + known drawback of the m43 sensor, poor ergonomics with the added brick, the need for an additional recorder and respective batteries...

The C-series is probably overpriced and a little outdated specs-wise compared with these new releases but it is still one of the few ready to shoot "camera solutions" with a true top notch s35 sensor, known and tested dynamic range, XLR conectors, built-in ND filters and proper ergonomics.And they have the 1D C in case you need 4K and full frame.

Don't get me wrong, both the Panny and the BM sound like very nice cameras but right now I can imagine the people at Canon thinking "Unbelievably, we dodged another bullet!". When they released the C series there was  some 8-bit dissapointment and the feeling that competitors had a perfect chance win certain segments. Unexplainably, it still hasn't happened. No one has cared to release a C300 clone with some added/corrected features and a 5.000 € price range. Why??

• Administrators

I kinda feel bad for Digital Bolex. They spent so much time prepping D16 and now it just seems outdated.

It still has significant unique selling points. Very impressive colour and a film like image. CCD sensor looks different to CMOS. Given choice, in good light I think I'd shoot Digital Bolex. They have better audio than Blackmagic. XLR onboard. Global shutter but with same dynamic range as the BMCC rather than the more limited dynamic range on the BMPC. I was also impressed by their crank handle follow focus though not sure how well it works in reality as not shot with one yet.