GH5 as a B Cam To My S1???

Mark Romero 2

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Getting something like a Panasonic GF5 (or similar kind of camera body that is just fifty bucks on eBay) for your kid? And the S5 for you!

^^^^^ 
Sounds like potentially the best plan. 

I am potentially thinking about getting a GH4 or G7 as a B-cam now. I wonder if Sage's Alexa lut would work decently well with the older Cine-D

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Well... I really like the image from VLOG and having more flexibility in post, but that is mostly for my real estate videos where I have basically NO control over the lighting and color casts. 

I guess I should try shooting some other things in 8-bit on the S1 so I have an idea of what 8-bit would be like on the S5.

I really only film in 10 bit when I am doing commercial or narrative stuff where I'll push the image hard. 8 bit is more than enough for basic little tweaks for my corporate and event work. I love 10 bit, it's why I went with the GH5 to begin with, but I think a lot of people/projects don't really need it. Most clients don't see the difference anyway! Maybe I'm just being silly though! 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I really only film in 10 bit when I am doing commercial or narrative stuff where I'll push the image hard. 8 bit is more than enough for basic little tweaks for my corporate and event work. I love 10 bit, it's why I went with the GH5 to begin with, but I think a lot of people/projects don't really need it. Most clients don't see the difference anyway! Maybe I'm just being silly though! 

I appreciate your thoughts and experience on this.

I guess my concern is how much I can tweak things later if I don't nail the color balance, or if I really have to deal with a heavy blue cast from window lighting, or avoiding color shift if I really have to raise the shadows a bit.

I am much more of a ham-fisted colorist than a perfectionist, so the appeal of 10-bit is not so much that I am going to create a masterpiece of color, but more like I have a bit more of a safety net when i mess things up on location.

So in certain respects, a BMPCC6K would appeal to me because of BRAW (since I edit in Resolve anyway). But the ergonomics and lack of photo ability makes it less appealing.

3 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I guess my concern is how much I can tweak things later if I don't nail the color balance, or if I really have to deal with a heavy blue cast from window lighting, or avoiding color shift if I really have to raise the shadows a bit.

I am much more of a ham-fisted colorist than a perfectionist, so the appeal of 10-bit is not so much that I am going to create a masterpiece of color, but more like I have a bit more of a safety net when i mess things up on location.

So in certain respects, a BMPCC6K would appeal to me because of BRAW (since I edit in Resolve anyway). But the ergonomics and lack of photo ability makes it less appealing.

Its also as expensive as an S5 with larger files. 

19 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Just back yourself more to nail it right (or near enough) on set! 🙂

On 11/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, IronFilm said:

Getting something like a Panasonic GF5 (or similar kind of camera body that is just fifty bucks on eBay) for your kid? And the S5 for you!

...or a Panasonic G5 for very little more money (if we're going 'bargain basement' cameras). It has better on-board audio, better controls, a viewfinder, a tilt-swivel LCD, better battery life and is nicer to hold. I've owned both in the past. The only advantage the GF5 has over the G5 is the smaller size and the 130g lighter weight.

1 hour ago, ac6000cw said:

...or a Panasonic G5 for very little more money

It is a slippery slope!
For only slightly more money than a G5 you could get a G6 😉 Which is a greatly improved camera. 

But if you're going to buy a G6 then why not spend just a teeny bit more for a G7? And get 4K!
But then a G85....

Just now, IronFilm said:

It is a slippery slope!
For only slightly more money than a G5 you could get a G6 😉 Which is a greatly improved camera. 

But if you're going to buy a G6 then why not spend just a teeny bit more for a G7? And get 4K!
But then a G85....

Just get a GH2!