Sony FX6 is here

Andrew Reid

39 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

As it seems it won't be the C70/C300mk2/C500mk2

C70 is making waves and is pretty popular, and with the RAW light update it's only getting better.

I'm split in between getting one and the R5C. 

Also a long-term FS7 user, this camera still does it for me in 2022. Absolute workhorse.

Love the IQ in Cine EI mode.

The shoulder mount ENG config is what sets it apart from the rest of the "budget" cine cams out there.

Would love an FX9 but I can't really justify the $11K price tag upgrade.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Django said:

C70 is making waves and is pretty popular, and with the RAW light update it's only getting better.

I'm split in between getting one and the R5C. 

Also a long-term FS7 user, this camera still does it for me in 2022. Absolute workhorse.

Love the IQ in Cine EI mode.

The shoulder mount ENG config is what sets it apart from the rest of the "budget" cine cams out there.

Would love an FX9 but I can't really justify the $11K price tag upgrade.

Yes, I really wish that the C70 and FX6 offered an evf add on for shoulder, handheld use. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

With the lack of basic features such as even a single SDI output however I can't see the C70 ever owning the mid range like the FS7 did. 

I don't think I've ever used the SDI ports on my FS7 so not a big deal for my type of shooting.

C70 is definitely more of a solo operator, run & gun cam. The form factor is also something to consider.

There's a real market for that segment although I agree it doesn't overlap with FS7/FX9 market.

Again with internal RAW coming and the C300mk3 DGO sensor it can be a valid option over an FX6 as this user explains why he switched:

C70 probably is the biggest threat to the FX6 becoming "the next FS7 camera default" (for the low/mid market). Think the C300mk3 has a similar problem as the FX9: fails to come under that magical "$10K barrier". 

But it is those little things like a lack of SDI which I think will put a limit on just how widespread its appeal will be. 

Oh I agree, C70 won't be as popular in rental houses or green-screen studios etc due to lack of SDI's & mini XLR ports.

But also lens system. Sony has a Pro Cine zooms and such whereas RF is basically just photo lenses as of right now.

That's actually a major factor that places the FX line way ahead of C70. The Vari ND is also a killer feature.

I guess thinking of it more, the FX6 is really growing on me. Maybe I should consider upgrading to it from my FS7?

18 hours ago, Django said:

But also lens system. Sony has a Pro Cine zooms and such whereas RF is basically just photo lenses as of right now.

Plus a much smaller range of native RF Mount lenses vs FE Mount. 

18 hours ago, Django said:

I guess thinking of it more, the FX6 is really growing on me. Maybe I should consider upgrading to it from my FS7?

Yes!

Been playing around with some FX6 footage, gotta say wow I'm very impressed. Maybe not as clean shadows or as organic looking as C70's DGO sensor but overall just excellent detailed IQ with a modern look that can be "mojo'd up" when pairing with vintage lens & grade:

Getting Venice vibes from this cam's IQ. 

Biggest/Only con for me is no 4K S35 mode. 

Yeah I have been poking around at footage from them and I am Really amazed how good it looks. This camera seems to have most of what a person needs, and the output seems as good as anything I have seen out there short of an Arri. If I was in the market for a higher end camera the FX6 would be at the top of my list. Sony has done a pretty amazing job with the color science and the organic feel of the sensor.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I have been poking around at footage from them and I am Really amazed how good it looks. This camera seems to have most of what a person needs, and the output seems as good as anything I have seen out there short of an Arri. If I was in the market for a higher end camera the FX6 would be at the top of my list. Sony has done a pretty amazing job with the color science and the organic feel of the sensor.

It's behind the Pana S1 and C70 in terms of dynamic range. But probably close enough to where it doesn't matter that much.

The low rolling shutter is a huge plus. It sets it apart as a professional tool from the P6K, C70, and S1H. Also the 120p doesn't have lower dynamic range like on the C70 and the P6K and S1H's 120p is barely usable.

The E-ND is also a huge plus. Also it has full size SDI and the body doesn't feel like a toy, looking at you C70.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...