Sony FX6 is here

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

A third party needs to do an END EF adapter or something 

Since it already has electronic END, why would you want an END adapter for EF lenses? 

An EF adapter that made autofocus work well for EF lenses would make this camera more attractive for those of us who have EF lens collections. As it stands, I think the C70 is a bit better option for shooters like me who want to upgrade to a cinema/camcorder body from a hybrid body. I do like this form factor better than the extra large hybrid body of the C70/Pocket 4K/6K, other than the audio inputs on the handle. But, as soon as SmallRig comes out with a cage, I guess the C70 can be rigged if necessary.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:45 PM, IronFilm said:

WHAT??? Why on earth would RED leave that out.  

I believe they've moved to a DCT implementation of MJPEG, I'm guessing it'll have something to do with the processing requirements for wavelet vs battery life with such a little camera running on Canon BPs

In theory it means you could see macroblocking at higher compression settings. I just haven't seen enough torture-test footage to know though.

5 hours ago, jgharding said:

That electronic ND is the best though, really wish it was in every camera.

Convenience has been my number one these days. I've only shot with the FX9 once but it was a dream. Its like being able to change shutter speed without effecting motion. 

12 hours ago, jgharding said:

That electronic ND is the best though, really wish it was in every camera.

Me too.

The situation I really want is for the camera to control exposure with auto-ISO and auto-ND and then let me control SS and Aperture manually.  I'd also like it to do face-recognition and exposure for that, even if I've got MF enabled.

That way, the camera is doing the technical operations, and I am doing the creative operations.

I'm actually excited about the cam.

I think it's the least expensive FF interchangeable pro videocamera ever, not counting the Z cam FF model?

The latter does not include a monitor or XLR handle, so the price difference is actually not that much between the two once you add those expenses.

As of of right now you can purchase the FX6 for USD$7K with a 24-105 Sony lens. 

That's a huge price difference from older FF pro videocamera models from less than 5-10 years ago where Arri and Red were practically the only players in town. 

I'm not a Sony fanboy, quite the contrary, but this thing opens a new market for prosumers and videographers who are not cine buffs and don't want/need to spend 10K on extra accesories to start shooting.

2 hours ago, EduPortas said:

I'm actually excited about the cam.

I think it's the least expensive FF interchangeable pro videocamera ever, not counting the Z cam FF model?

The latter does not include a monitor or XLR handle, so the price difference is actually not that much between the two once you add those expenses.

As of of right now you can purchase the FX6 for USD$7K with a 24-105 Sony lens. 

That's a huge price difference from older FF pro videocamera models from less than 5-10 years ago where Arri and Red were practically the only players in town. 

I'm not a Sony fanboy, quite the contrary, but this thing opens a new market for prosumers and videographers who are not cine buffs and don't want/need to spend 10K on extra accesories to start shooting.

The Z-cam is still like $1500 cheaper plus you'd be getting a much nicer monitor. But no auto focus on the Z-cam. 

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this camera. As with everything, to each his own. I am a current Z Cam E2-F6 owner. It is a fantastic camera. I have built it up to be a beast, and I absolutely love the codecs in it. However, I am also a Sony stills shooter, with a wide variety of their lenses. It seems like people hating on this camera are already massively entrenched in what they know works for them. That is totally fine. For me, my business partner and I actually started a production company during the pandemic, which seems like a crazy move. However, we have gotten a massive amount of work during this time, as I'm learning that business is mostly about relationships. For our new company, we were using two separate cameras, the F6 and the S1H. These are both amazing cameras, but our workflow has been a pain trying to match up the colors, even though they are actually using the same sensor. We were considering investing in RED, but honestly the FX6 made much more sense for us. We actually bought two of them. Having the ability to shoot in low light, get a beautiful image, use my existing lineup of around 10 lenses, as well as take advantage of auto focus again are really going to actually speed up our workflow. We can also record XLR audio directly into camera while doing interviews, which massively speeds up our workflow in post production. So yes, this camera isn't a massive upgrade, but then again, for other people like us, it is much more bang for our buck compared to buying 2 RED Komodos, with have to be rigged up, don't have great AF, and come out to like 8-$9000 after rigging. Again, different strokes for different folds. 

1 minute ago, the_brotographer said:

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this camera. As with everything, to each his own. I am a current Z Cam E2-F6 owner. It is a fantastic camera. I have built it up to be a beast, and I absolutely love the codecs in it. However, I am also a Sony stills shooter, with a wide variety of their lenses. It seems like people hating on this camera are already massively entrenched in what they know works for them. That is totally fine. For me, my business partner and I actually started a production company during the pandemic, which seems like a crazy move. However, we have gotten a massive amount of work during this time, as I'm learning that business is mostly about relationships. For our new company, we were using two separate cameras, the F6 and the S1H. These are both amazing cameras, but our workflow has been a pain trying to match up the colors, even though they are actually using the same sensor. We were considering investing in RED, but honestly the FX6 made much more sense for us. We actually bought two of them. Having the ability to shoot in low light, get a beautiful image, use my existing lineup of around 10 lenses, as well as take advantage of auto focus again are really going to actually speed up our workflow. We can also record XLR audio directly into camera while doing interviews, which massively speeds up our workflow in post production. So yes, this camera isn't a massive upgrade, but then again, for other people like us, it is much more bang for our buck compared to buying 2 RED Komodos, with have to be rigged up, don't have great AF, and come out to like 8-$9000 after rigging. Again, different strokes for different folds. 

Yeah they practically make a lot of sense. I think the downsides of the not so quick menu's and layout will be countered by the positives. One may not need to change from 24 to 120fps in 10 seconds depending on your clientele.

BTW I just send my E2 S6 to the guy who does the Alexa LUTs so now I'll be able to match my S6 to my Pana S1, once he finishes the Lut. 

1 minute ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah they practically make a lot of sense. I think the downsides of the not so quick menu's and layout will be countered by the positives. One may not need to change from 24 to 120fps in 10 seconds depending on your clientele.

BTW I just send my E2 S6 to the guy who does the Alexa LUTs so now I'll be able to match my S6 to my Pana S1, once he finishes the Lut. 

That's awesome! Yeah we really love the F6 and S1H, but just want more convenience. For us, we don't need to change between 24 and 120fps in 5 seconds. Our shoots are much more planned out. Are you talking about Joel with the Phantom Luts? I plan to test out the new A7SIII ones with the FX6 too.

6 minutes ago, the_brotographer said:

That's awesome! Yeah we really love the F6 and S1H, but just want more convenience. For us, we don't need to change between 24 and 120fps in 5 seconds. Our shoots are much more planned out. Are you talking about Joel with the Phantom Luts? I plan to test out the new A7SIII ones with the FX6 too.

Alex with emotive color. He has a thread on here about his lut for the GH5.

https://www.emotivecolor.com/

Been a game changer for me in terms of color. So much nicer than the stock Panasonic 709. I've been limiting my camera choices to the ones he has luts for LOL. Aside from actually getting an Arri. Only one I could afford atm would be the Classic and its just too heavy and cumbersome for what I am used to. He does have a lut package for the A7s3, although the FX6 color is slightly different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This camera is not very popular here, but since firm. update v2, it has great new features:

Add the AI-based Real-time Tracking AF, and if the Touch Function is set to Tracking AF, you can use Real-time Tracking to track the subject even during manual focus

Add the Breathing Compensation for consistent angle of view when focusing

Note: Lenses that support the Breathing Compensation feature

Add the 16-bit RAW output via HDMI

Add the bokeh adjustment mode for easy adjustment while minimizing exposure changes

Add new features that support High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) dual production for SR Live

SDR Emulated Preview Display on EVF

SDR Gain Metadata Recording

Add the Picture Cache Recording function, which is also supported when shooting with S&Q Motion

Displayed the 4-channel audio level meter on the on-screen display

Add the other useful features

Note: Refer to the Help Guide for details on all updated functions.

Previous Benefits and Improvements

Adds the 100P and 120P options to the Slow & Quick Motion frame rate menu when the codec is set to RAW or RAW & XAVC-I

Fixes an issue where the EI value is not reflected correctly during playback in Cine EI mode

Improves the overall stability of the camera

On 2/2/2022 at 11:17 PM, Grimor said:

This camera is not very popular here

Where is "here"?

For most parts of the world the Sony FS7 has been the "industry standard" for the last few years, at least for low / mid budget work.  (i.e. kinda anything which doesn't have ARRI level budget)

With perhaps the C300mk2 sneaking in to steal a few #1 spots from the mighty FS7 in a few places and/or niches. 

But we're on a new generational cycle of cameras now, I do wonder what will be the next "number one" default camera for this type of work? Am tending to think it will be the FX6. 

As it seems it won't be the C70/C300mk2/C500mk2. While Panasonic is being too slow once again in updating their EVA1/VaricamLT. Nothing from Blackmagic or RED is making serious in roads for the bulk of this kind of everyday low / mid budget work. (although the UMP & Komodo were good attempts, but are not swiss army knife daily workhorses like a C300 or FS7 was) JVC/ZCam/Kinefinity/Sigma/etc not even worthy of discussion. 

Honestly the closest competitor other than the FX6 to "replacing" the FS7 as #1, would be the Sony FX9. 

Except the FX9 goes in the opposite direction to industry trends: greater weight, greater bulk, greater cost, greater power draw. 

Meanwhile the FX6 improves on the FS7 in every way, while keeping with the industry trends of: smaller/lighter/cheaper.