Sony FX6 is here

Andrew Reid

There's nothing here that beats the S1H I love and use in normal shooting apart from that electronic ND, it's a pretty disappointing offer.

TBH if I were gonna go up to this sorta price I'd get the Red Komodo and enjoy the genius codec again, I'll bet it thrashes the Sony on IQ

EDIT: I did a bit of research and the Komodo doesn't use RedCode wavelet compression like most Reds. Sigh. nothing is simple now...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Give Sony its due here, the FX6 and A7SIII make for a much better A and B camera than Canons recent C70 and R5.  The latter has both cameras at odds with native 4K sensor up against downsampled 8K, before we even look at the overheating issues the R5 has.   

All we need is for Panasonic to be inspired by the C70 and FX6 and release their own dedicated video camera, which when combined with the S1H, you've another excellent A and B camera setup to choose from.  Assuming AF wasn't your big concern. 

1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

Everyone: Please Sony, give us an A7sIII with professional video features! If you do I will buy at least seven of them.
Sony: Ok, here it is!
Everyone: Meh it's just a rehashed A7sIII. This is lame and I'm not buying it. 

If it had everything A7SIII had then you might have a point, but there are things the FX6 doesn't have / does less well, features like the codecs being less flexible for seemingly no reason.

28 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

If it had everything A7SIII had then you might have a point, but there are things the FX6 doesn't have / does less well, features like the codecs being less flexible for seemingly no reason.

hopefully that can be fixed in a firmware update. The lack of touch screen can't though. 

4 hours ago, jgharding said:

There's nothing here that beats the S1H I love and use in normal shooting apart from that electronic ND, it's a pretty disappointing offer.

TBH if I were gonna go up to this sorta price I'd get the Red Komodo and enjoy the genius codec again, I'll bet it thrashes the Sony on IQ

EDIT: I did a bit of research and the Komodo doesn't use RedCode wavelet compression like most Reds. Sigh. nothing is simple now...

I’m not so sure of this “disappointing” talk. The A7SIII got the same slack by many and that’s turned out to be an absolute marvel of a camera. 

The FX6 is what people asked for... an A7SIII with E-ND, XLR’s, SDI, S-cinetone and video ergonomics. Both cameras are unique in the market for what they offer. 

The handle thing is annoying and lack of LongGOP - yep I agree. It’s not perfect. 

I’m just wondering what people expect these days? A full frame compact video camera with 4k120 in 10bit is no longer good enough? 

All the manufacturers are smashing it and every camera released this year has gone beyond. 

26 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I’m not so sure of this “disappointing” talk. The A7SIII got the same slack by many and that’s turned out to be an absolute marvel of a camera. 

The FX6 is what people asked for... an A7SIII with E-ND, XLR’s, SDI, S-cinetone and video ergonomics. Both cameras are unique in the market for what they offer. 

The handle thing is annoying and lack of LongGOP - yep I agree. It’s not perfect. 

I’m just wondering what people expect these days? A full frame compact video camera with 4k120 in 10bit is no longer good enough? 

All the manufacturers are smashing it and every camera released this year has gone beyond. 

I think its defiantly a good option, just a bit boring. The A7S3 has features that exceed this more expensive offering, which probably shouldn't be the case considering this is the higher end more expensive option. I do agree there is nothing to complain about these days. 

4 hours ago, jgharding said:

Well there's the 120p in full frame mode to begin with. Even the 60p mode is cropped with the S1H (not saying it's a bad camera in any way).

Then there's the XLR inputs, SDI out, E-ND as you mentionned, crazy AF, gyro data, probably better low light... just to name a few...

Yeah it gets pretty absurd the reactions of people regarding camera releases. This looks like an incredible camera to me (it's all subjective but come on !). It is the perfect form factor for my use. It's actually a surprise release to me as it makes the FX9 a bad deal compared to this. Sony messed up the menus but it's not that annoying when you use a camera on a regular basis, you eventually know its menus.

They also made (deliberately ?) a mistake with having the two XLR inputs on the top handle. Even though when I would use the camera stripped down it would be for gimbal use and I've never had to use sound on a gimbal (only b-roll shots or else there's a sound man). The form factor seems a lot better than the C70 to me. And if I want dslr form factor, I'd directly pick up an A7S III. I wish blackmagic was making a camera with the form factor of a FX6.

And the two things that leave room for improvement is the LCD screen, a little too small and too low res. And the codecs... When we'll have something like BRAW or prores or prores raw directly in camera, we won't need much else.

So image quality wise, I guess this camera is definitely not on par with cameras with better codecs (Komodo, blackmagic cameras, C300/500 raw...) but delivers good enough images for most of the mid tier video productions.

Oh and on potato jet's video there's some nasty IR pollution. I hope it's because he uses not a final product but it can be a concern. Anyway, if people aren't happy with all those camera releases, I guess nothing will be good enough, and something also tells me they need to work more and read specs less :)

7 hours ago, jgharding said:

WHAT??? Why on earth would RED leave that out.  

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

hopefully that can be fixed in a firmware update. The lack of touch screen can't though. 

Neither can IBIS be added with a firmware update.

There are more than enough options out there from the last 10+ years to make amazing films...starting to feel like the camera industry is going the way of the cell phone industry...new offerings yearly...if you can't shoot an amazing film with 2008 RED One...the C70/FX6 won't do it for you either 🙂

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

WHAT??? Why on earth would RED leave that out.  

Neither can IBIS be added with a firmware update.

Because red is trying to protect their higher end cinema line with a less flexible codec option, it's still named "redcode", but it's dct based like h.264 and prores. 

Sony's internal Electronic ND is unfortunately not compatible with ibis.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Any links to back this up? It is a curious claim. 

I also heard it in a FX6 presentation video. The Youtuber (can't remember who, maybe cineD) says he asks Sony why no IBIS, they told him they can't do it yet with an E-ND in the camera. It may be related to the room needed for the sensor to move around in the camera body and the ND filter being very close to the sensor...