Apple M1 crushes Intel – benchmark results

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Ryzen is still faster from max's new video

Wonder will M1X with higher TDP will unleash more power?

4900hs vs m1.JPG

I might have missed it, but he did not state what codec these video files were right? If it was prores or RAW or  any other decent codec it doesnt really matter, I can edit fluently 4K with playback on all my hardware. But what about H265 422 files is the ryzen still faster?

On 12/4/2020 at 9:47 PM, zerocool22 said:

I might have missed it, but he did not state what codec these video files were right? If it was prores or RAW or  any other decent codec it doesnt really matter, I can edit fluently 4K with playback on all my hardware. But what about H265 422 files is the ryzen still faster?

Those are the same h.265 4k60p videos they used on previous video, where the 10 core intel mac just poop when try to play back but both ryzen n m1 playback smoothly.

"Apple is working on a new ARM-based processor with as many as 32 high-performance CPU cores that could appear in a Mac in late 2021, according to a new report from Bloomberg. The processor could also appear in a new “half-sized Mac Pro” in 2022. Alongside it, the company is also reportedly developing CPU designs with up to 16 high-performance cores and four power-efficient cores which are destined for new versions of the MacBook Pro and iMac. The new processors could arrive as early as spring 2021. Future Apple Silicon designs could also feature GPUs with up to 128 dedicated cores."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/7/22158264/apple-32-core-processor-arm-mac-macbook-pro

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-12-07/apple-preps-next-mac-chips-with-aim-to-outclass-highest-end-pcs

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The problem with only adding cores is that they are only useful if your software could use all of them.

Massive parallelism is very difficult to obtain.

Yeah that totally depend on the app, some of the app I use tend to grab all the cores it want (Unreal engine, Blender etc), Adobe software on the other hand is half arsed..  but with 8k and 4k h.265 having massive CPU raw power helps with unoptimized code.

For gaming my old i7-4770K is still quite relevant lol 

On 12/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, ntblowz said:

That exactly mimic my experience, 8K runs smooth on high end Ryzen (if you got 12 or more cores), at least i can do jobs now without pulling my hair out or wait 2 years later.

LOL! That 3950x processor costs as much as a Mac Mini. FCP speeds crush Premiere. IMO, the M1 macs are a complete bargain for the performance. As someone that doesn't care about games or 8k its a dream machine - its small, fast, quiet and uses a fraction of the power compared to that hideous tower in the thumbnail. 

Cheers

Chris

On 12/8/2020 at 7:56 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The problem with only adding cores is that they are only useful if your software could use all of them.

Massive parallelism is very difficult to obtain.

This may be Apple's answer for that:

https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2?gi=sd

half way down this article is

"Basically you got two forms of parallelism: One that the developer must deal with explicitly when writing code and one that is entirely transparent. ..

It is the superior Out-of-Order execution that is making the Firestorm cores on the M1 kick ass and take names. It is in fact much stronger than anything from Intel or AMD and they may never be able to catch up. To understand why, we need to get into some more technical details..."

On 12/11/2020 at 9:02 AM, Trek of Joy said:

LOL! That 3950x processor costs as much as a Mac Mini. FCP speeds crush Premiere. IMO, the M1 macs are a complete bargain for the performance. As someone that doesn't care about games or 8k its a dream machine - its small, fast, quiet and uses a fraction of the power compared to that hideous tower in the thumbnail. 

Cheers

Chris

Yeah why spend money upgrading cameras when phone is doing the jobs for a fraction of the cost 🤔 🙄  and you can edit on it too, why bother get a computer at all 😆 

On 12/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, zerocool22 said:

Are the panasonic s5 h265 422 files similar to those of the canon r6/r5? 

No. The H264 is 4:2:2 but the h265 is 4:2:0 (like Fuji XT4). The reason being probably a more practical choice for GPU support. Most GPUs skip over accelerating H265 4:2:2 for some reason, unless you are taking about Nvidia Titan workstation cards.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Jay60p said:

This may be Apple's answer for that:

https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2?gi=sd

half way down this article is

"Basically you got two forms of parallelism: One that the developer must deal with explicitly when writing code and one that is entirely transparent. ..

It is the superior Out-of-Order execution that is making the Firestorm cores on the M1 kick ass and take names. It is in fact much stronger than anything from Intel or AMD and they may never be able to catch up. To understand why, we need to get into some more technical details..."

Yes this a good read if you have any interest at all on the topic of chip design.

Its the “revenge of RISC” prophecy that has finally come. The simpler fixed sized instruction set allows Apple to use many more decoders when CISC design basically have to guess and then stall out and do it again when the guess wasn’t right.

will be really interesting to see the higher end chips from Apple. 

22 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah why spend money upgrading cameras when phone is doing the jobs for a fraction of the cost 🤔 🙄  and you can edit on it too, why bother get a computer at all 😆 

Apple is doing Windows users a big favor.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere online that Qualcomm and Microsoft are working on ARM for windows. Apple’s M1 challenge is like the Russians sending up sputnik,  no doubt it will accelerate  Microsoft and the PC chipmakers work on Windows ARM. Everyone will have excellent machines for their preferred OS.

Is your Current PC working smoothly for your camera’s video?

I don’t need an M1 at the moment since I don’t use an 8K 422 camera and won’t for at least two years (Fuji X-H2?). Right now I am still amazed with my X-T3 and Intel Mini with T2 acceleration for 4K. But I am glad there will be a super speedy editing Mac ready for me in future when needed.

I think we are totally spoiled by the fantastic digital video we have now.

Think of what Kubrick’s reaction to your simplest 4K camera would be; see his reaction to a Sony portapack in 1983 (long after doing the stunning 70mm 2001):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54hrLTpsO5g

Kubrick: “You’re actually recording?”

Cameraman: “Of course.”

Kubrick smiling : “Incredible!”

I just love that.

1. Bluetooth connectivity issues. External mouses and peripherals don’t work properly (including MM2).

2. WiFi issues. Over 3x times slower than previous models in some cases.

3. USB issues. Don’t expect to see speeds above 400 Mbps on any external drive. This is quite low even for a USB 3.0 controller.

The list may be longer but these are the most known issues so far.

Various reports and videos have been posted on reddit and YT by thousands of users. I won’t post any links to keep this thread clean but those reports are all over the place.

Some of those issues may be resolved through software updates but that won’t happen if nobody talks about them, right?

Apple has a bad history of fixing things, my 2015 iMac still has bluetooth connectivity issues and my 2019 4500$ MacBook Pro still has audio issues (pops, crackles etc).

I am also excited with the new architecture but i would think twice before purchasing an unfixable machine with major issues like these.