Apple M1 crushes Intel – benchmark results

Andrew Reid

21 hours ago, igorpilot said:

Has anyone used an M1 Mac with 8k raw from R5 in the new Resolve 17.1 (optimised for M1)?

Not sure about Canon yet. I think they have to release an update to their Canon RAW software. So its on Canon.

8K RAW from RED does not playback completely smoothly at native 8K. There are dropped frames. Drop the playback resolution to 1/2 in resolve or better performance in FCP and its smooth as butter even with multiple nodes applied.

So yes, it seems like M1 can handle working with 8K. I would spring for the 16GB of RAM for sure though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Does this also apply for h265 422 files?

AMD 5950x can do 3 stream of H.265 422 4K60P from R5 full resolution without dropping frame, current M1 capped out on 2 stream of H.265 with dropping frames, so more like 2X more performance, it can also playback 1 stream of full res 8K from R5 fine in Premiere, none of the Intel CPU can do it like 5950X can do atm.

46 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Those are top tier desktop chips from AMD with the 5800x costing around $550. The answer, if price is included, is No.

As far as video editing, these new macs offer amazing performance for the dollar. If you use resolve or FCP the future is bright for apple silicon powered macs.

So I don’t find those benchamarks from pugent very relevant unless you routinely do heavy CPU tasks other than video editing, encoding, decoding. If you game well you know what you need.

It is very relevant to me as I m editing all day most of the time for 5 days in a week (less if i m out shooting)

23 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Ryzen still offer near 3x performance over M1, could change once native app coming out for M1. 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Apple-M1-MacBook-vs-PC-Desktop-Workstation-for-Adobe-Creative-Cloud-1975/

ryzen vs m1.JPG

Just remember those Ryzen Desktops cost 2400$ and 3500$, both need 850 Watts power to get those performance.

Macbook cost the half and use 20 Watts.

ByeBye X86 architecture.

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

It is very relevant to me as I m editing all day most of the time for 5 days in a week (less if i m out shooting)

Then in most cases, beside maybe multiple streams of 8K editing in a mult-cam, a M1 powered Mac will get the job done it seems.

I’m not telling people to drop their desktop rigs. use whatever you want.

I’m just informing people, that are perhaps looking for a mac or laptop to edit their S5/A7SIII/R5/R6/<insert camera here> that the new M1 chips do particularly amazingly well for editing H.264 and H.265 (HEVC) and RAW footage very, very well.

That Pugent benchmark is for Premier Pro, which is not know for its performance on any architecture to be honest. Maybe it will change when adobe creates a native app for M1.

58 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Then in most cases, beside maybe multiple streams of 8K editing in a mult-cam, a M1 powered Mac will get the job done it seems.

I’m not telling people to drop their desktop rigs. use whatever you want.

I m planning to get a m1( or m1x?) macbook next year for remote setup, but my desktop still have lots of use on it.

For portability it does have big advantage, but on desktop where there is no power restriction there might be quite a battle to fight, so next 12 months will be quite interesting to watch once more software take advantage of m1 architecture. 

• Super Members

Was very curious about seeing comparisons those where an M1 MacBookPro was outperforming an Intel MacBook Pro with egpu and wondering what would happen if you put an egpu on the M1 but alas it doesn't seem to support them.

So unfortunately there'll be no Steven Wright moment.

2007487505-quote-i-put-instant-coffee-in-a-microwave-oven-and-almost-went-back-in-time-steven-wright-202289.jpg.865db310574ea4fc3d35fe7038d19c80.jpg

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Still would rather pay more then use mac os.

And here is the best basis for selecting a computer, the operating system you are happiest with.  Most important I think.

Mac users have traditionally paid more for Apple hardware than PC users paid for Windows hardware, precisely for the same reason, that they prefer the OS. (I am one of those.)

But now for the first time (?) Mac users can pay a little less.

Possible M1X spec leaks:

-12 Cores 

- 8 performance cores

- 4 high efficiency cores

- Coming first on a MacBook Pro 16” unveiling as a press release 

- According to a source who used a prototype, “if you think M1 is fast, you haven’t seen M1X”. -Name isn’t final though

No info about graphic cores yet, but I predict they will at least double their count. 

Same about RAM, but I guess we will see 16\32 GB versions. 

Also rumored release date - Q1 2021 (I do hope so)

47 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Possible M1X spec leaks:

-12 Cores 

- 8 performance cores

- 4 high efficiency cores

- Coming first on a MacBook Pro 16” unveiling as a press release 

- According to a source who used a prototype, “if you think M1 is fast, you haven’t seen M1X”. -Name isn’t final though

No info about graphic cores yet, but I predict they will at least double their count. 

Same about RAM, but I guess we will see 16\32 GB versions. 

Also rumored release date - Q1 2021 (I do hope so)

Bugger only 12 cores, probably have to wait for M2x for 16 score, I do hope it goes up to 64GB Ram.

I do want Apple to success as I got a quite a few shares on them, right now they are not performing as good as nvidia or tesla 😅

21 hours ago, ntblowz said:

but on desktop where there is no power restriction there might be quite a battle to fight

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what they do with their chip technology for their desktop Mac Pro and iMac Pro were thermals and power are in abundance with ARM CPUs architectures.

11 hours ago, Jay60p said:

Mac users have traditionally paid more for Apple hardware than PC users paid for Windows hardware, precisely for the same reason, that they prefer the OS. (I am one of those.)

Yes, and I think this is part of the reason for the hype. The performance is amazing for the price from Apple.

But it also is doing things that even the highest end desktops have trouble with—mainly H.265 editing. Which I believe pretty much saves Canon’s ass over their codec choices for the R5.

7 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

This is the most important spec missing. The CPU is plenty fast for a lot of people. Especially single core performance.

I think for my uses, mainly editing R5 footage, and H265 in general, I’m going to pick up a 13” M1 MBP. Cant beat the performance/price/size for video editing on a desk or out in the field. 

As long time Mac user, I always felt like I was paying more for less. I paid $2600 for my 2017 iMac used in 2019 and that seemed like a good deal at the time.

Now I can pay less for more.  I can just buy a new one rather than hustling to find a good deal on Craigs List on a used one.

Now it seems that I should try my the 5K retina display on my iMac in target mode as the monitor for a Mac Mini.  I haven't tried it as I don't have the mac mini yet, but it seems like the best use of the old iMac at this point, if performance as a monitor is reasonable.

11 hours ago, majoraxis said:

Looks like I was wrong about using my iMac in target mode as a monitor. I just read

"iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can’t be used as Target Display Mode displays."

Bummer - looks like I need a new monitor for my new iMac when I purchase it.

I thought the same thing until digging in. I have a late 2015 that they say is not supported. I just sold it for $800 so I feel pretty good with my investment for five years. 

I don't do high end video editing but really looking forward to the Mac Mini M1. I put my order in for the 16gb and 1TB storage. The last project I finished last week has three crashes with Davinci which was a headache. I am also going to pick one of these up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087F3JFYQ/?coliid=I2TV87P6VZDY6X&colid=5RBLJJ4RCHVQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This will speed up projects for a couple months, make life easier and I'll wait until the high end chips are released. 

8 hours ago, DFason said:

I thought the same thing until digging in. I have a late 2015 that they say is not supported. I just sold it for $800 so I feel pretty good with my investment for five years. 

I don't do high end video editing but really looking forward to the Mac Mini M1. I put my order in for the 16gb and 1TB storage. The last project I finished last week has three crashes with Davinci which was a headache. I am also going to pick one of these up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087F3JFYQ/?coliid=I2TV87P6VZDY6X&colid=5RBLJJ4RCHVQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This will speed up projects for a couple months, make life easier and I'll wait until the high end chips are released. 

That's a nice combination. The 16gb 1TB is the sweet spot for me as well...

On 11/18/2020 at 1:23 AM, Video Hummus said:

Except that Ryzen can’t edit HEVC 4:2:2 smoothly at all. And since we are on a camera forum, I would assume that is very important consideration for many people.

It depends what version is:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-apple_m1-1804-vs-amd_ryzen_9_3950x-932

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-apple_m1-1804-vs-amd_ryzen_9_4900hs-1285

And here's with Intel:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-apple_m1-1804-vs-intel_core_i9_10980hk-1329

Yet:

https://laptopmedia.com/comparisons/preliminary-apple-m1-vs-intel-core-i9-10980hk-the-m1-is-better-in-single-core-but-loses-in-multi-core/

On 11/18/2020 at 1:59 AM, ntblowz said:

Need desktop Ryzen to edit HEVC 4:2:2 smooth, 5950x can handle 3 stream of h.265 4k60p real time smooth, but then no laptop have the power of that.

Still on PC side, try your luck with a much power AMD: here (from same source BTW). I'd say 16GB VRAM eGPU is not to neglect willing to use Resolve.

Looks like we should all pay more attention on other than only processor related or benchmarks, especially on Resolve side:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/products/

Hope this helps you guys as useful info before any decision what stuff fits better your needs:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-i-built-my-dream-8k-capable-video-editing-pc/

https://mediapc.com.au/media-pc-mpc500r-ryzen-workstation/

So the news is as someone already said up there:

On 11/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, Jay60p said:

And here is the best basis for selecting a computer, the operating system you are happiest with.  Most important I think.

I agree. This is the news!

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Still on PC side, try your luck with a much power AMD: here (from same source BTW). I'd say 16GB VRAM eGPU is not to neglect willing to use Resolve.

That pc he build a month ago is gonna be 20~100% slower when this build is done (waiting for PC case atm) 😁, can't believe a month can make huge difference.

126808401_189796916106938_2136019431976705009_n.thumb.jpg.4c39bcd27e436d46d4e7aa4eab4ee711.jpg

127214411_691537274881651_5626539752015084806_n.jpg