Apple M1 crushes Intel – benchmark results

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The combination of these processors working in tandem with (presumably an updated) FCP is going to be an extremely attractive package. 

Yes, the numbers tell one story but Apple Prores raw, Apple FCP and Apple silicon pulling together in the same direction at the same time... 

Irrestistible.

Some interesting test results.

https://barefeats.com/m1-macbook-pro-versus-intel-version.html?fbclid=IwAR2VryNyOMemxvGQL3OOK75uvBD7LLIPNWpoMV4W2XlHCeUJon9K6ZJOLbE

And a Macbook pro with EGPU.

https://barefeats.com/macbook-pro-13-inch-2020-egpu-boost-2.html?fbclid=IwAR1tTxTjmhQsFSjYrgnKrF2m9RruMikc7cExWFoA31e6_fJsl0ZEpoJrLMk

In the BruceX test, the M1 tops the MBP with EGPU and the 8-core i9 with dedicated graphics card - 9 seconds for the M1 compared to 11 seconds for the other two.

That little chip is fast.

Chris

1 hour ago, OniBaba said:

Looks like on a FHD timeline, people ask in the comments and no answer, it is such a basic things to explain as it has a huge impact on gpu (in this case shared) memory consumption. Still performance is great for the price but these video imo are a bit misleading. 

30 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I absolutely hate apple stuff, but this thing has taken my interest. I love pc, but there is no pc setup that runs these hevc 422 files smootly. Or is there?

Definitely not for the price. The latest from AMD, Intel, and NVidia don’t do this well. Hopefully this changes.

Apple is also part of the AV1 consortium and a big proponent and sponsor of they need codec. So, it seems Apple will have access to accelerating any modern mainstream codec from now and with new products.

I think if you edit in resolve then a $1099 Mac mini along side your PC is a decent investment. I guess they are going to save the larger RAM options for 16 MBP and iMacs. Which is kinda crap. A lot of people would have paid for say a $1600 Mac mini with 32GB or RAM. 

Those machines look very promising. I am hoping that we would see MBP 16 soon like in half a year with something like M1X having 3-4 times the performance of a current chip. And 4 ports + baseline 1tb storage model please. Another very cool thing is that if we take a look at their mobile phone chips, they double the performance every year, unlike Intel. So we might have a chance for a very rapid evolution of those processors. 

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I absolutely hate apple stuff, but this thing has taken my interest. I love pc, but there is no pc setup that runs these hevc 422 files smootly. Or is there?

Yes, ryzen 5950x with 64gb ram can run 3 stream of R5's 4k60p h.265 without problem, atm m1 can handle up to 2 stream of h.265 without lagging.

11 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Does this also apply for h265 422 files?

Those are top tier desktop chips from AMD with the 5800x costing around $550. The answer, if price is included, is No.

As far as video editing, these new macs offer amazing performance for the dollar. If you use resolve or FCP the future is bright for apple silicon powered macs.

So I don’t find those benchamarks from pugent very relevant unless you routinely do heavy CPU tasks other than video editing, encoding, decoding. If you game well you know what you need.