Apple M1 crushes Intel – benchmark results

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The mobile-like SOC approach with on-die DRAM will give great performance. But remember the cost in modularity...

16GB Max makes any of these models unattractive to me and I assume I'm not the only one who see it this way. As fast as they are - they don't feel future-proofed. 

Hackinotsh it is, until proper pro-models exists and if priced reasonably. 

42 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

It sounds like the Air is one to get for me... portability, a keyboard, great performance, with OSX, no stupid audio and update problems with hackintoshes, no stupid Touch Bar, seems like a no-brainer. I'm saving up now.

Thermal throttle is no fun though, unless you edit super fast

HUGE media blitz with glowing reviews...remember me the launches of certain images devices that we are used here... 🙂

Looks like the new Macs are really good, but if I was looking to buy one, would wait until some real world users put it to their paces (and maybe the Rosetta caches becomes full).

The 16Gb ram (not expandable) max and the restriction of having only one external monitor could be deal breakers to some video editing setups.

(and with the "Apple dollar" here in Brazil, you could buy a top last gen Ryzen with 32 gb ram, top video card and 2TB SSD with the local price of the new Mac Mini, and have some money to spare...)

36 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Except that Ryzen can’t edit HEVC 4:2:2 smoothly at all. And since we are on a camera forum, I would assume that is very important consideration for many people.

Need desktop Ryzen to edit HEVC 4:2:2 smooth, 5950x can handle 3 stream of h.265 4k60p real time smooth, but then no laptop have the power of that.

I m curious to see the difference between 8gb and 16gb for a bit bigger projects.

15 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I m curious to see the difference between 8gb and 16gb for a bit bigger projects

More RAM always better if you can afford it. Looking like 13in MBP with 16GB is my next laptop. I have an R5 coming and all the heavy lifting I would do on my computer is video editing...so I’d rather pay $1,500 for a MBP then $4,000 for a fully spec out intel Mac and not be able to edit my footage smoothly without time-consuming transcoding.

No background rendering required with any R5 footage in FCP on M1 Macs, even with correction and a LUT applied. Pretty amazing.

Now they just need to update FCP with enhanced features like tracking and facial recognition and tracking to keep it competitive with resolve and premier.