Their.Tube - YouTube completely in bed with QAnon, etc. promoting bullshit for clicks

Andrew Reid

We're all monkeys, but we used to be monkeys tempered by everyone living lives wherein a majority of time was spent in social interaction.  Real, face-to-face social interaction.  I'm all for a marketplace of ideas, but when it's anonymous poop flinging, the normal governor of behavior is off.  That's bad news.

Add to the fact that, as a form of commerce, media companies are very sophisticate delivering curated bags of poop to people....?

In very broad strokes, this is what happens when you decide to manipulate biology for profit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

What kind of shape is De Vlaeminck in today?

He seems to still be fanatical about his health and regularly rides (and runs). Plus he is about five years younger than Merckx? And once you get up into your 70's (or worse, 80's), that age gap starts to matter. 

Also Merckx had that bad bike crash last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Merckx is still feeling a few niggling issues left over from that. Recovery takes longer when you're in your 70's than in your 20's/30's.

But anyway, if you mean in a contemporary sense, rather than right now in 2020, I'd rate Merckx as the better rider. (I've got a bias towards preferring multi day tours vs single day classics)

11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

He seems to still be fanatical about his health and regularly rides (and runs). Plus he is about five years younger than Merckx? And once you get up into your 70's (or worse, 80's), that age gap starts to matter. 

Also Merckx had that bad bike crash last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Merckx is still feeling a few niggling issues left over from that. Recovery takes longer when you're in your 70's than in your 20's/30's.

But anyway, if you mean in a contemporary sense, rather than right now in 2020, I'd rate Merckx as the better rider. (I've got a bias towards preferring multi day tours vs single day classics)

Of Eddy course was the better rider. He's the GOAT. The question was more to see who you'd be a fan of, based on personality, riding style, ect. I'm a Merckx guy, but that's the easy answer, like being a fan of Lance over Jan back in 91. I was a Marco fan more than anything back then.

10 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Of Eddy course was the better rider. He's the GOAT. The question was more to see who you'd be a fan of, based on personality, riding style, ect. I'm a Merckx guy, but that's the easy answer, like being a fan of Lance over Jan back in 91. I was a Marco fan more than anything back then.

Nah, I was/am a Jan Ullrich fan. 

I feel you.

Social networks are pushing their agenda.
Biology isn't valuable science anymore. 

Youtube is watching an ad by an influencer undercut with another ad from another brand pushing to mass consumerism.

I got banned for several days from FB after I posted a comedy sketch about the coronavirus and it got flagged by a fact checker. It wasn't some conspiracy bullshit. It was comedy, by actors. 

Isis beheadings? no problem, ok to FB standards
White Pride hate groups? no problem, ok to FB standards
Fake news and conspiracies? no problem, ok to Youtube standards.

But there's a ton of good stuff, but they should really ban more fucked up accounts and fucked up content.

I've been seeing people in the filmmaking community plugging LBRY as a YouTube "pro-free speech" alternative, but their main page basically recommended alt-right and Newsmax pro-Trump videos on my first visit, which makes me think that the people going to LBRY are those so bad that even YouTube banned them, kinda like Parler is with people banned on Twitter. 

It was weird seeing Tom Antos claiming the only place where his videos can be seen uncensored was LBRY, as if YouTube has been censoring his filmmaker gear reviews. 

Curtis Judd plugged it the same day.

Anyone else notice this? Is it some kind of push from LBRY in connection to the community? 

Tom Antos has definitely had issues with YouTube (bullsh*t copyright claims), seems most everyone eventually does if you get big enough. 

Hope many more people join up to LBRY from a wide range of diverse views, as if we want to have a viable alternative to YouTube it can't just be an echo-chamber. So it is good to see totally non-political YouTube channels like Curtis Judd / Tom Antos / etc signing up to LBRY, we need more of that! Perhaps I should upload my YouTube channel to LBRY as well. 

btw, if you don't like the particular way https://lbry.tv/ is implemented, then you can always go elsewhere to experience the LBRY network, such as: https://odysee.com/
They're both the same underlying LBRY blockchain! 

I do think it is good to not let yourself slip into echo-chambers of homogeneous samethink, I try to always make a conscious effort to keep a relative diverse range of news sources I go to, channels that I watch, and social media sites/groups I use, just to give a few examples. For instance, I try not to exclusively use Google search, and often use DuckDuckGo as well (is sometimes amazing how different their search results are!). Of course I still have my own strong biases in the media I consume, I'll watch plenty of photography channels but rarely ever any painting channels, as that is what I'm interested in vs am not.  But I feel if you don't seek out a diversity of experiences (always using Facebook but not Twitter, or always using Pro Tools but not Reaper, or always using Nikon but not Panasonic, or always use Sound Devices but not Zaxcom) then it is easy to get yourself stuck in a rut, and eventually you may find yourself being left behind due to your narrow perspective of the world. 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I do think it is good to not let yourself slip into echo-chambers of homogeneous samethink...

Seeking out multiple sources of information from different viewpoints is one thing. Supporting a platform that gives voice to or promotes dangerous, falsehood filled propaganda channels like Newsmax is another. I'm sorry, but I can't get behind anything that remotely smacks of the whole Parler fake "free speech" alt-right echo chamber. These people are actively trying to destroy democracy over here and actually killing people and plotting terrorist acts. So, yeah, if LBRY is promoting their content on any part of it service, I for one am not going to use them at all.

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I do think it is good to not let yourself slip into echo-chambers of homogeneous samethink

But this is exactly what happens almost every time. People seek out the content and they go right back into echo chamber group-think. Doesn’t matter the platform.

It’s worse with conspiracy theorists because they think they have the “real” answers and don’t trust anything. And it’s just not them being skeptical it’s an insidious undertone to their entire life. And when their grand theory is stretched in anyway they invent a fantasy reality to make it work. Sounds like a pandemic of mental health problems.

I don’t have the answers but a lot of this revolves around people having poor interpersonal and critical thinking skills. 

2 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Seeking out multiple sources of information from different viewpoints is one thing. Supporting a platform that gives voice to or promotes dangerous, falsehood filled propaganda channels like Newsmax is another. I'm sorry, but I can't get behind anything that remotely smacks of the whole Parler fake "free speech" alt-right echo chamber. These people are actively trying to destroy democracy over here and actually killing people and plotting terrorist acts. So, yeah, if LBRY is promoting their content on any part of it service, I for one am not going to use them at all.

I think you really do not grasp at all what LBRY fundamentally is here, they're just a blockchain technology. That's not "pushing a viewpoint" (let alone hysterical hyperbole such as "destroying democracy"), making a claim like that would be even more outlandish than saying that about HTTP, Javascript, or HTML! (although I'm sure there must have been luddites saying similar-ish wild claims back in the 1990's)

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think you really do not grasp at all what LBRY fundamentally is here, they're just a blockchain technology. That's not "pushing a viewpoint" (let alone hysterical hyperbole such as "destroying democracy"), making a claim like that would be even more outlandish than saying that about HTTP, Javascript, or HTML! (although I'm sure there must have been luddites saying similar-ish wild claims back in the 1990's)

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm specifically referring to Newfoundmass's post that "their main page basically recommended alt-right and Newsmax pro-Trump videos on my first visit." That's what I have a problem with, not the underlying technology. And saying that the the alt-right (led by the Orange Dumpsterfire in the Whitehouse) is attempting to destroy democracy in America is not "hysterical hyperbole." The huge push to try to invalidate our presidential election through the alt-right media and the courts is having, and will have, long lasting effects on our election system. It's not trivial. And you can add the long-term voter suppression push from the right targeting (mostly) people of color and nakedly partisan gerrymandering of electoral districts to that. No good.

22 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm specifically referring to Newfoundmass's post that "their main page basically recommended alt-right and Newsmax pro-Trump videos on my first visit." That's what I have a problem with, not the underlying technology. And saying that the the alt-right (led by the Orange Dumpsterfire in the Whitehouse) is attempting to destroy democracy in America is not "hysterical hyperbole." The huge push to try to invalidate our presidential election through the alt-right media and the courts is having, and will have, long lasting effects on our election system. It's not trivial. And you can add the long-term voter suppression push from the right targeting (mostly) people of color and nakedly partisan gerrymandering of electoral districts to that. No good.

If the underlying technology is not the issue than I'd imagine its just being recommended as its one of the more viewed channels/videos on the platform. The issue with free speech or platforms that don't censor content is you'll see stuff you don't want to see. 

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

I'm specifically referring to Newfoundmass's post

Again, you've missed the whole point of the foundations of LBRY. 

So what if you or @newfoundmassdon't like the LBRY.tv website? You could go to odysee.com instead (also based on the LBRY blockchain). Or even.... make your own based on the LBRY blockchain! That's the beauty of it, there is no one Google (or Fox/CNN/whoever) controlling what you see and what is or isn't "allowed". If you don't like it, you can even roll your own. 

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

"their main page basically recommended alt-right and Newsmax pro-Trump videos on my first visit."

Might be worth double-checking your (and @newfoundmass) own biases here. Are you sure that is what you saw, or is it what you assumed you saw?

Please share screen shots! This is what I see (and from memory, this looks pretty similar-ish to the random collection of videos when I first visited LBRY.tv):image.thumb.png.87486eb4309e8bce28cfae73cf3ef510.png

Doesn't see a single Newsmax video here! (and is it such a bad thing to see a couple pop up into your news feed now and then? No worse than seeing HuffPost/AlterNet/TYT/Uproxx/BuzzFeed/etc etc pop up in your feed, as it is good to keep tabs on what both sides who are straying away from the center are thinking. Keeps you grounded)

Can't see any pro trump videos here either! In fact only one video here has "Trump" in the title, and I can't be bothered to watch the whole half hour of it, but it would seem Tim's video on the topic is leaning anti-Trump and he too is of the belief that Trump doesn't have any chance whatsoever of winning any of his legal cases for him to get a 2nd term.  So no, definitely not a pro-Trump video here. 

As for Alt-Right videos, where? Going to make a huge leap and say Peter Schiff or John Stossel is "Alt-Right"? That would be a downright ridiculous claim. Or does talking about Bitcoin make a person "Alt-Right" now? (as sure, there is a couple of Bitcoin videos there on the front page, because shock-horror, a website based on blockchain technology attracts people who like to talk about... the blockchain! Imagine my surprise)

38 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

The issue with free speech or platforms that don't censor content is you'll see stuff you don't want to see. 

There is an easy solution here, sign up to make an account so you can tailor your results. (just look for instance how different your own recommendations can be on YouTube when you log into a different one of your own accounts! You don't need to settle for the first time default recommendations)

Or even.... roll your own platform! As I said before, this is the beauty of LBRY, which everyone on this thread who has been complaining about YouTube should be appreciating and embracing as the way forward to get out the grips of YouTube. Don't like YouTube? Look, you can make your alternative now! Based on the LBRY blockchain.  Go ahead, read this conference paper published by IEEE: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9126007

58 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

If the underlying technology is not the issue than I'd imagine its just being recommended as its one of the more viewed channels/videos on the platform. The issue with free speech or platforms that don't censor content is you'll see stuff you don't want to see. 

Except free speech doesn’t often cover some of the content they show you.

Is promoting violence ok? Many people think not. And the issue is a slippery slope for drawing a line in the sand. 

17 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Or even.... roll your own platform! As I said before, this is the beauty of LBRY, which everyone on this thread who has been complaining about YouTube should be appreciating and embracing as the way forward to get out the grips of YouTube. Don't like YouTube? Look, you can make your alternative now! Based on the LBRY blockchain.  Go ahead, read this conference paper published by IEEE: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9126007

And if you're not already aware of the well known ways to get papers for free, here you go:
https://sci-hub.scihubtw.tw/10.1109/dapps49028.2020.00005 (from IEEE's DAPPS)

https://sci-hub.scihubtw.tw/10.1177/2515127418823677  (USASBE's EE&P)

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Is promoting violence ok? Many people think not. And the issue is a slippery slope for drawing a line in the sand. 

Is promoting Boxing ok? What about MMA? 
There are people out there who'd say "no". 
I'd much rather the platform doesn't get to make these decisions. (or at least does an absolutely minimal amount)
We already have elected governments who draws up laws when it comes to free speech, let's leave enforcement to them rather than expecting everyone else to do the government's job for them.