Yet another "help me pick..." - but different

tlovegrove

I do all video work manual focus, mostly with older MF lenses (have used Sony DSLR and mirrorless, Canon 6D and Eos-M). 

I need to spend up to $800 for a body to shoot corporate videos of two styles: 

• lengthy presentations / speeches (depth of field doesn't matter; manual focus; sometimes need to use up to ISO 800)
  • talking head or interviews - shallow depth of field is very important for the look we want; ISO 400-800

I only need two focal lengths, but pretty specific, for those two uses:

• a zoom in the range of 100-135 FF  [60-85 APS-C; 50-70 MFT]
  • a fast prime 80-85 FF  [50 APS-C; 40 MFT]

My other key requirements are no less than full 29:59 recording time, and ability to withstand the heat of recording for an hour straight. 

Options I can see right now:

• something like a Canon 6D + manual focus 50mm and 70-210 zooms does well, but is well out of the price range. I'm uninterested in something like the 70D, as video AF doesn't matter to me, and it's too expensive. 
  • I have an EOS-M, but I don't think that form factor will hold up to the heat of 60+ minutes of straight recording. Video menu options are pretty limiting.
  • I started to get excited about Nikon D5200/D5300, especially with so little moire/aliasing, and very affordable 50mm fast MF primes, but if I'm understanding it right they have 10/20 minute recording limits!? That kills it for me. 
  • The G6 / GH2 / etc (I could even press the budget and get a GH3 body) could be options, but getting shallow enough depth of field is a big concern, and there aren't exactly a lot of fast affordable 40mm manual focus primes available!

I would love your input, if you're willing. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the GH3 is your best bet for a camera, though I am biased ;)

what is your budget for lenses? You seem to highlight 40mm, how tight of a range is acceptable?

I do all video work manual focus, mostly with older MF lenses (have used Sony DSLR and mirrorless, Canon 6D and Eos-M). 

I need to spend up to $800 for a body to shoot corporate videos of two styles: 

• lengthy presentations / speeches (depth of field doesn't matter; manual focus; sometimes need to use up to ISO 800)
  • talking head or interviews - shallow depth of field is very important for the look we want; ISO 400-800

I only need two focal lengths, but pretty specific, for those two uses:

• a zoom in the range of 100-135 FF  [60-85 APS-C; 50-70 MFT]
  • a fast prime 80-85 FF  [50 APS-C; 40 MFT]

My other key requirements are no less than full 29:59 recording time, and ability to withstand the heat of recording for an hour straight. 

Options I can see right now:

• something like a Canon 6D + manual focus 50mm and 70-210 zooms does well, but is well out of the price range. I'm uninterested in something like the 70D, as video AF doesn't matter to me, and it's too expensive. 
  • I have an EOS-M, but I don't think that form factor will hold up to the heat of 60+ minutes of straight recording. Video menu options are pretty limiting.
  • I started to get excited about Nikon D5200/D5300, especially with so little moire/aliasing, and very affordable 50mm fast MF primes, but if I'm understanding it right they have 10/20 minute recording limits!? That kills it for me. 
  • The G6 / GH2 / etc (I could even press the budget and get a GH3 body) could be options, but getting shallow enough depth of field is a big concern, and there aren't exactly a lot of fast affordable 40mm manual focus primes available!

I would love your input, if you're willing. 

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

Yes the 5300 has short recording times - 20min max I think. You could look into getting an external HDMI recorder - a D5200 and Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle may be within your budget (possibly even a Ninja 2?).

I think your situation is screaming G6 with Metabones Speed Booster. If you shop around it should be within your budget I think. 

Pros

- The Speed booster effectively makes the G6 sensor APS-C size (same FOV and DOF)

- The SB adds a stop of low light performance (a bonus with the middling performance of the G6)

- The SB adds sharpness in the centre (looses a tiny bit in the corners, but this is fine for what you're doing I believe)

- You get the professional-looking sharpness of a Panasonic

- You get focus peaking with the G6 which is invaluable for professional work using manual primes

- Negligible quality difference vs GH3 IMHO, especially in controlled situations like yours (within your budget G6+SB trumps GH3 without IMO)

- In-camera audio is decent relative to other DSLRs

- Audio levels

Cons

- No headphone jack on G6

- I believe the max recording time is limited to 29min in Europe

I have the G6 and Speed Booster and I think the results are stunning. I love the image from my D5300 but the G6 image has much more of a "pro" feel IMO. If I was doing corporate stuff I would use my G6 without question.

Panasonic g6 - superb camera I now have 2!! its that good

fast 40mm prime = Konica 40mm f1.8                  $40 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONICA-HEXANON-AR-40MM-F1-8-MANUAL-FOCUS-PRIME-PANCAKE-LENS-/111274690092?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item19e87d062c

also try these primes very cinematic great bokeh

Minolta 45mm f2 

Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 

Yashica ML 24mm f2.8

Yashica ML 50mm f1.7

these Yashicas are widely regarded as Carl Zeiss Distagon Equivilants made in same factory in Japan as the Contax Zeiss lenses

Fujinon 35mm f1.7 c mount

Fujinon 24mm f1.4 c mount   = 1inch  dof at f1.4

superb zooms

Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-70mm C/Y Mount - micro levels of detail from amazing Zeiss glass - razor sharp lens aspheric elements

Canon FD 24-35mm L Series - aspheric elements

G6 is a very cinematic camera - you just have to know your lenses and pick the right ones - bokeh is not an issue!!

G6 or GH3 would be the best budget choice, but I'll let you in on a little secret - if you've got time to wait it out before making a purchase, do so. The GH4 was just announced yesterday, and in a month or a little more, the price of the G6/GH3 is going to drop as the newer model takes center stage. Hope that helps. Cheers.

Very helpful! 

Somehow I missed the news that in USA the GH3 will record indefinitely. Also true of the G6, I assume/hope?? That would be such a huge help for us. 

One little concern and one big concern if I go with the G6 instead of the GH3:

• Little concern: G6 cannot be used with an external monitor (which we have and use)
  • Big concern: am I understanding it right that G6 does not have an available AC adapter?

tosvus, my lens budget is limited, and the more I think about, I think I could make do with 50mm primes instead of 40mm. So that shouldn't be a problem. Actually already have an OM 50 1.4 that could do the job. 

Matt, thank you for the very helpful pros/cons list. 

Andy, thank you for the great lens recommendations - there were some things there I had missed before. 

I'm new to Panasonic so not used to watching their pricing - do we really expect the GH4 to push down the Gh3/G6 prices? Or could it be in enough of its own category that they might hold them steady?

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

No HDMI out for live view with the G6 I believe. Only playback.

Some people have reported using wi-fi with a tablet etc working well for monitoring.

G6 has superb full control of the camera via wifi on and iphone ipad or android tab/phone

full focus control - yes you can pull focus on this!

full stop start record

full x10 zoom in focus assist on your ipad , just tap the screen and it zooms in x10 to focus!

full contol of all camera menus and functions via wifi

it is superb facility so you do not need HDMI out as my oled sony experia z makes a superb monitor!!

FWIW, I ended up ordering a used GH3, plus a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 zoom.

I ended up leaning toward the GH3 over G6 for the battery life, ability to monitor live hdmi out, and the flexibility with lower compression settings.

In terms of lenses, when I did some depth of field calculations I realized that I didn't need to go faster than 2.8. I also realized that a zoom was important for some of the work we do with speakers on a platform, etc. It's a hard setting for just primes. I couldn't come close to affording the Panasonic 2.8 zooms. There were lots of MF 3.5 zooms out there, but I really wanted the 2.8. Thankfully we don't need anything beyond the 35-70 range for our purposes, so I was able to afford the Nikon. No other 2.8 zooms were in that price range ($200-300). 

The size and weight of the zoom isn't a big factor since we're working off a tripod 95% of the time. 

Of course I can easily add some primes if I find a situation where we need to get faster than 2.8. 

So bottom line: excited to get to work with a GH3 and a 2.8 zoom for not much over $1000. Hopefully will arrive by the end of the week. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Tim

I recommend the GH3 (did a review). It's the perfect camera for event videography, with all the features you need.

The Olympus prime 45mm f1.8 gives a very shallow depth of field, is very affordable, and one of the top 3 m43 lenses (also did a review)

For the zoom in the 100-135mm, there's the 35-100mm Panasonic zoom, if you have the budget, or the Olympus 40-150mm, a great lens for its price. If you're really looking for a great lens though, I would get either the 75mm Olympus (a jewel) or the Olympus 60mm macro.

Happy shooting ! 

sounds good have fun , the Nikon is a push pull zoom so be careful for video

You're definitely right that this is the biggest potential weakness of this lens choice. My hope is that we'll be OK, since we're not trying to follow a lot of action. Just need some focal length flexibility beyond primes. We shall see...

Just remember that you can always buy a SpeedBooster for that (or other) lenses to make it wider and faster. (instead of buying other lenses)

Yes - so it makes sense to stick with one brand of lenses when possible (at least one brand of non-native MF lenses) so that they would all work on the speedbooster (since most of us can't afford a speedbooster for each individual lens!).