Apple M1 - my take on it

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Curious, how is 5+ million pixels not even 1080p? My macbook pro is 2880x1800, an HD display next to it looks like SD in comparison. 

Chris

I assume it was a reference to the iPhone 4 with a 960×640 Retina display.

I was quite happy with my iPhone 4 though, so I dont really mind the marketing speech in this case.

I am calling it now - if you need a laptop in the field and you are a Final Cut user the New Macbook air is the go to option. And represents great value for money. 

I STILL use my 2013 Macbook air for infield ingest, shot organisation and quick daily update edits. With Thunderbolt SSD connectivity it deals with and scrubs through 4 k video like butter. Pretty impressive for 8 year old technology.

And it is so small i barely notice it on my load outs. Do not under estimate the value of a small light footprint in the field.

Rendering is slow for any colour / fx edits which is why: 

The 2019 Imac does the heavy lifting at home  - where 98% of my editing occurs - and absolutely kills it.  

I Think i will be visiting an apple store soon. Then again i can actually still work just fine on the road with my 2013 Macbook air... 

5 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

I am calling it now - if you need a laptop in the field and you are a Final Cut user the New Macbook air is the go to option. And represents great value for money. 

Yes, this is going to be an amazing option, faster than my i9 15" MBP at a fraction of the weight with better battery life. I traveled with a dual core i5m 12" Macbook for about three years as my mobile editing solution, took it to 55 countries and it never missed a beat. Exports were slow, same for stitching panos from a7r2 uncompressed 42mp raws, but it got the job done.

Though it sounds like the 13" MBP with active cooling means a decent speed bump.

Chris

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Based on iPad results. H.265 isn’t a problem. 

That is great as it’s unbearable on my MacBook Pro 17” 2017.
The M1 GPU might be relatively slow (2.6 TFLOPS), but it’s acceleration like this that may lead to a completely different real world use, unless I ofcourse would focus heavily on 3D. I’m also curious how much their ML acceleration will be used over time and how this will impact our work.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Based on iPad results. H.265 isn’t a problem. 

That's what has me jazzed about this, editing on my ipad or iphone (XS Max for the last two years, but a 12 Pro Max is arriving today) is a breeze. Lumafusion eats h265 from the Mavic 2 and a7s3, easily outgunning my 8-core i9 MBP. With FCP and more robust hardware, it should be really smooth.

Chris

1 hour ago, D4cl00 said:

I’m also curious how much their ML acceleration will be used over time and how this will impact our work.

Hard to tell now but i would be surprised if we dont see a major push by apple to “accelerate all the things”.

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

That's what has me jazzed about this, editing on my ipad or iphone (XS Max for the last two years, but a 12 Pro Max is arriving today) is a breeze. Lumafusion eats h265 from the Mavic 2 and a7s3, easily outgunning my 8-core i9 MBP. With FCP and more robust hardware, it should be really smooth.

Chris

It’s funny to see the traditional computer hardware and PC YouTube channels, mainly Linus Tech Tips, going all out bashing and doubting and downplaying the Apple silicon performance claims. Why? They don’t even have hardware in their hands to tell.

This is the first laptop that will chew through almost any H.265 video file like butter. It is huge deal for people that use resolve or FCPX or just edit and cut video in general.

39 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

The SOC is nice, and a new infrastructure is inspiring for the future of computers. But, let's be honest, 8k Prores is't not a hard codec to work with. I wanna se real h264/h265 performance.

Ipad pro can do 8k h.265 editing real time, so I expect this M1 should do something similar

This is both very promising but also kind of disappointing; the performance boosts are impressive and they seem to be giving you good value, but I hate that Apple is going back to a more closed off system. The switch to Intel really opened things up, especially when it came to 3rd party programs. 

It also makes me wonder how easy it will be for those 3rd party developers to re-write or port their programs to use the new processors.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Enough said?

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.6df83e9d95b7e60e97beb3429bc952a9.jpeg

Interesting. Would love to try the new MacBook Air. I may test it before I actually get one. I haven't used a Mac in the longest. I used to hate Word and Excel on it. For video and photo editing it's pretty neat. The Air is priced pretty well, for the apparent performance. Would also love to see some independent reviews before taking a call. 

Just now, sanveer said:

Interesting. Would love to try the new MacBook Air. I may test it before I actually get one. I haven't used a Mac in the longest. I used to hate Word and Excel on it. For video and photo editing it's pretty neat. The Air is priced pretty well, for the apparent performance. Would also love to see some independent reviews before taking a call. 

I agree. I'd wait a little. This is a new model, with new internals- prudence is necessary IMO. What gives me confidence about this model is that:

1. They're supposedly using many of the same parts as the previous one... if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
  2. A lot of the guts will be shared with the processor main unit. This can only be good in that they test this the most.

For those 2 reasons alone, I'd buy it because the performance is going to be leaping a generation or 2 (watch other intel and AMD processors tank in price? They should.). Also, what else do I NEED? This thing is capable of editing 8k H.265. Give it an educational discount for FCPX, motion, etc for $200- this thing is an extremely powerful machine.