Zoom's 32-bit Tascam dr-10l Competitor

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It needs it's own crystal the instant it gets disconnected from a source. 

That's absolutely true, I forgot about that since it would sort of be outside my use case. I'm willing to put up with a few frames of drift when disconnected from a source if it means saving me hundreds or thousands of dollars, particularly since it's so easy to sync based on audio waveform if you know that you're within a reasonable margin of error to begin with.

A year-ish ago I started used a low end smartphone as a TC master clock, sending LTC over bluetooth 4.0 audio which hopped between different bluetooth receivers in 3 second bursts of LTC, which was just as inaccurate as it sounds, but the entire process ends up with frame accurate TC after automated post processing. Now if I can just extend that to 32 bit bodypack receivers, that's virtually zero cost automation of some of the most tedious jobs. But it doesn't look like the F2 or Track E quite fit into my hacky workflow unfortunately.

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2020 at 8:12 AM, MrSMW said:

All I am interested in really is the non-clipping, locking lav, size and price.

Easy to stick the results from each (3 for me) on a timeline based on master Rode Wireless Go and auto-sync even if the latter has drop outs. Then delete the ‘master’.

That’s how I’m planning to work in 2021 with these F2’s.

It’s cheap and efficient and will deliver the results.

Anyone want to buy 3 Sony recorders and 3 Rode lav mics? 😘

You but the 3 F2’s on bride, groom and speaker and the rode goes where ?

On 11/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, IronFilm said:

Going to be interesting to read head to head reviews of the Zoom F2-BT vs Tentacle Track E

Hi All:

Here is a Gerald Undone review between the Zoom F2(not the Bluetooth version) and the TenatcleSync Track E:

Don Barar

On 11/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, IronFilm said:

Going to be interesting to read head to head reviews of the Zoom F2-BT vs Tentacle Track E

Hi All:

Here is a Gerald Undone review between the Zoom F2(not the Bluetooth version) and the TenatcleSync Track E:

Don Barar

13 hours ago, omega1978 said:

You but the 3 F2’s on bride, groom and speaker and the rode goes where ?

I encourage all of my weddings to have a central speaking point whether that is a lectern or a mic stand.

I use it there.

In some circumstances (indoors, but most of my weddings are outdoors) it can be the main/sole audio source, but more likely, I use it as the baseline and overlay & sync the individual lav mic recordings and then chop out the lesser quality baseline where I can.

I think these F2's will provide an even better option as they should reduce any screeching etc that the crowd can sometimes make during speeches!

But having said that, my 2021 clients are dropping like flies with either postponements or cancellations and my best case prediction is I'm going to end up with at best, 50% workload this year (following on from just 4% last year, ie, I lost 96% of my booked jobs) and worst case, all 100% will go.

It's not looking great and I'm not sure if I can survive 2 years with no work. It's that bad.

12 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I encourage all of my weddings to have a central speaking point whether that is a lectern or a mic stand.

I use it there.

In some circumstances (indoors, but most of my weddings are outdoors) it can be the main/sole audio source, but more likely, I use it as the baseline and overlay & sync the individual lav mic recordings and then chop out the lesser quality baseline where I can.

I think these F2's will provide an even better option as they should reduce any screeching etc that the crowd can sometimes make during speeches!

But having said that, my 2021 clients are dropping like flies with either postponements or cancellations and my best case prediction is I'm going to end up with at best, 50% workload this year (following on from just 4% last year, ie, I lost 96% of my booked jobs) and worst case, all 100% will go.

It's not looking great and I'm not sure if I can survive 2 years with no work. It's that bad.

Ok, i´m sorry for your situation, but maybe with the vaccination in the summer we can start our work again. I am in the happy situation to are involved in a big film project for a supercharger system, so i have work for the next months.

Have ordered yesterday the F2-BT and i had the same idea. Rode go to the speaker ( maybe later a second F2) and a F2 on the groom ( fix a F2, a white one to the bride is very delicate, and don´t think that is accepted here ), a Zoom H5 for musicans and a Rode Mic to 1 channel, and the Rode Go to the other channel on A-camera.

On the B-Cam a NTG4 for Backup.

I thing is stupid, that you can start the F2 wireless only once and not synced...

This is my experience with the Zoom F2. Please understand that I tried so hard to love it.

This video was meant to be a full review of the F2 but frustratingly I gave up and published my babble up to the point where I conceded. I call it the unfinished review.

I don't think Zoom will be sending me products for free any time soon. But, if they solve the issues then I'm happy to revisit the review.

https://youtu.be/86K8xH3MfCM

3 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

This is my experience with the Zoom F2. Please understand that I tried so hard to love it.

This video was meant to be a full review of the F2 but frustratingly I gave up and published my babble up to the point where I conceded. I call it the unfinished review.

I don't think Zoom will be sending me products for free any time soon. But, if they solve the issues then I'm happy to revisit the review.

https://youtu.be/86K8xH3MfCM

I hope my experience is not that bad 😏

8 hours ago, omega1978 said:

Tentacle Track E is expensive

When you compare the price of a Tentacle Track E to a Zoom F2-BT (which is a closer competitor than the non-bluetooth version) + cost of an Ultrasync BLUE (which is necessary for the F2-BT to work properly, unless you've already got a compatible bluetooth timecode machine such as for instance the F8n) then the Tentacle Track E is in reality very well priced indeed.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

When you compare the price of a Tentacle Track E to a Zoom F2-BT (which is a closer competitor than the non-bluetooth version) + cost of an Ultrasync BLUE (which is necessary for the F2-BT to work properly, unless you've already got a compatible bluetooth timecode machine such as for instance the F8n) then the Tentacle Track E is in reality very well priced indeed.

Ok, but to have timecode on the S1 with the coming update you need the Tentacle Sync ?

Tentacle Track 319+Sync 199+Cable 10= 529 for Zoom BT 169+149 Blue = 318 you can buy another Zoom..

Zoom BT 169

Those are US$199, are you using another currency? 

Blue

You can't use an Ultrasync BLUE to keep the Panasonic S1 in sync. 
You'll need a TCS Ltd Ultrasync ONE (or a Tentacle Sync E....).

Ok, but to have timecode on the S1 with the coming update you need the Tentacle Sync ?

Doesn't matter what camera on earth we're discussing, it is preferable to keep a timecode box on it, yes. 

Someone (Jim Kopriva) left this comment under my review video:

After seeing several reports if this issue, I inquired with Zoom:

"Hello - We have received reports about the issue you mentioned and we will replace any affected products with a new tested unit. This issue should affect only a small number of units already on the market. At the same time, we are implementing changes that will ensure this issue is not present for all future units."

Sincerely, CUSTOMER SUPPORT Zoom North America

What? No apology? If I buy again I am going to wait for the unit that has gone through the process of "implementing changes"

We'll see.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Those are US$199, are you using another currency? 

You can't use an Ultrasync BLUE to keep the Panasonic S1 in sync. 
You'll need a TCS Ltd Ultrasync ONE (or a Tentacle Sync E....).

Doesn't matter what camera on earth we're discussing, it is preferable to keep a timecode box on it, yes. 

In italy 169 €

https://www.fotoema.it/accessori-foto-e-video/cuffie-speaker-microfoni-registratori-audio/zoom-f2-bt-registratore-digitale-bluetooth-con-microfono-lavalier.html

or even

https://www.cittadellamusica.org/home-26-studio-recording/registratori-e-player-professionali/zoom-f2-bt-field-recorder-bluetooth-2B-microfono-laval.html

you mean 

https://www.vuetec.de/SW53/timecode/tc-generatoren/generatoren/614/ultrasync-one-timecode-fuer-kameras?c=1675

connect to the S1 and then sync with the F2s ?

5 hours ago, omega1978 said:

That isn't sufficient by itself, you need an Ultrasync BLUE as well within range of the F2-BT for them to sync to as well.

8 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

What? No apology?

At least they acknowledged there is an issue, and promised to replace all that are faulty. That's a pretty good response in my books. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:
16 hours ago, Happy Daze said:

What? No apology?

At least they acknowledged there is an issue, and promised to replace all that are faulty. That's a pretty good response in my books. 

I guess so, but call me old fashioned, a simple courtesy is cheap but can have a lasting impression. These companies like to see themselves as a well oiled machine but these faceless mechanical responses piss me off a little and are all too common.