Sony A7S III - First impressions

Andrew Reid

21 hours ago, RawZion said:

Andrew or other owners of the Sony a7s3 : Did Sony finally fix their file system?  Do files run sequentially?  Can we rename them?  Or is the first shot on a card always going to be C01, etc?

I can't believe I'm still asking after all these years, but here we are.  If the fixed that horrible, maddening, unncessary glitch that no other camera system does I think I'll buy one, maybe even two

Yes, this has been sorted - in fact there are a bewildering array of options as to how to name files.....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/10/2020 at 6:14 AM, Snowfun said:

As a result of internal noise reduction? 
Can’t this be totally eliminated by external recording?  To either a Ninja for Prores raw or BM Video Assist et al for Prores 422.

(I’m not suggesting that you would want to use an external recorder, just asking whether internal NR can be bypassed). 

Unfortunately its only eliminated with Prores RAW not regular prores.  

11 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Unfortunately its only eliminated with Prores RAW not regular prores.  

Useful to know. 
One question I have is how does the camera know whether to apply NR to the signal leaving the camera? The decision to record Prores raw or another Prores flavour is surely independent of whatever internal processing is applied to the output signal? 
But I could just be missing something and confusing myself!

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Speaking of ProRes RAW on the a7S III...

I thought I heard somewhere that some cameras that export ProRes RAW are not FULLY compatible, meaning one can't adjust white balance or some other aspects of the image.

Is that correct? Am I confused (again)? Was someone lying to me???

https://youtu.be/EmiEQq2MAeU?t=800

Yes you are right. 

4 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Useful to know. 
One question I have is how does the camera know whether to apply NR to the signal leaving the camera? The decision to record Prores raw or another Prores flavour is surely independent of whatever internal processing is applied to the output signal? 
But I could just be missing something and confusing myself!

Yeah I am not sure. A lot of this stuff seems arbitrary of any common sense lol 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:55 AM, Trek of Joy said:

The latest update from Atomos says WB adjustments will be in a future update. 10.55 was just announced and it includes ISO.

https://www.slashcam.com/news/single/Atomos--New-firmware-10-55-for-Ninja-V-brings-ProR-16177.html

Chris

Well... that's kind of good news, as long as one uses FCPX. Not so good for PP users.

Took the a7s3 with me to Cocoa Beach last nights for the SpaceX launch. This is the first time I've seen a launch in person so I wanted to grab a couple shots and just watch history in the making. I got a shot of the rocket in the sky with the a7s3 and a FE 200-600mm lens. No video, just wanted to enjoy the moment.

Chris

DSC00188.jpg

27 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Took the a7s3 with me to Cocoa Beach last nights for the SpaceX launch. This is the first time I've seen a launch in person so I wanted to grab a couple shots and just watch history in the making. I got a shot of the rocket in the sky with the a7s3 and a FE 200-600mm lens. No video, just wanted to enjoy the moment.

Chris

DSC00188.jpg

Looks great!!!

On a similar note, I tried photographing a fireworks show once. It was a complete disaster. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but if you have some vintage A-Mount lenses (Minolta, etc..) and you plan to shoot stills or video with the A7S III, the auto-focus will not work anymore with the LA-EA4 adapter.   It seems Sony disabled it.   And the new LA-EA5 can only do stills--not video.  This forces customers to buy e-mount lenses if they want auto-focus with their video.  

@Andrew Reid when do you think you'll be abale to share with us an A7s3 full review? I am looking forward for it. I remember that I bought my NX1 afetr i saw your review and had been very happy with it for 5 years or so. I sold it a year aga waiting for the A7S3 to come to life and now i am a bit confused 🙂  I am not happy with the footage i have seen from this camera 😞 Although on paper it seems the best camera for 4k footage, when i am looking at the footage i don't see the huge lap coming from NX1. Also, the 28 mega pixels for stills i will miss for sure being a hybrid user in that regard.

Thank you for your comment.

On 12/1/2020 at 4:32 AM, Viscount Omega said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but if you have some vintage A-Mount lenses (Minolta, etc..) and you plan to shoot stills or video with the A7S III, the auto-focus will not work anymore with the LA-EA4 adapter.   It seems Sony disabled it.   And the new LA-EA5 can only do stills--not video.  This forces customers to buy e-mount lenses if they want auto-focus with their video.  

Well... that kind of sucks.

Yep.  I can almost hear them discussing it in a meeting. 

"What about Takumi's work on the LA-EA4's implementation?"

"I'm glad you brought that up.  I have an idea to boost our e-mount inventory sales."

🤑 💵

There are about 400 A-Mount zooms and primes from different companies out there that are affected by this.

It feels like a slap in the face from Sony.

6 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Has anyone stumbled across any downloadable files from the camera at all online?

On paper it looks incredible, but a lot of the footage I've seen still looks very much like a Sony Alpha series camera and not too distinctly different from the A7S2. 

I would share some of my footage but can’t as it’s paid work. 

But I can tell you now, it’s massively different from the A7S2. They don’t meet in the same ballpark. Most footage you see online isn’t the best. 

Here’s a simple one I shot. Wider shots are A7S3. Tighter shots are C70. 

6 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I would share some of my footage but can’t as it’s paid work. 

But I can tell you now, it’s massively different from the A7S2. They don’t meet in the same ballpark. Most footage you see online isn’t the best. 

Here’s a simple one I shot. Wider shots are A7S3. Tighter shots are C70. 

Nice work, I honestly can’t tell the two cameras apart! Are these two essentially your A and B cams now? 

16 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Nice work, I honestly can’t tell the two cameras apart! Are these two essentially your A and B cams now? 

Thanks. Yes they are at the moment. I like the A7SIII much better for video than the R5, hence why I've been using them together as an experiment.