Next lens purchase?

lmackreath

Hi all! I have a dilemma in terms of what lens to get next, probably for weddings mostly.

I already have the 12-35 2.8, the Leica 42.5 1.2 and the sigma 16mm 1.4. i am wondering do i need a fast 25mm in my arsenal for the gap between the 16mm and the 35mm? something like the Olympus pro 25mm 1.2? - or do i need to look more for the longer end to cover that off - like with the 35-100 2.8 or even the Olympus 12-100 f4? - or again go just for a fast long prime like the Samyang 85,mm 1.4? 

I suppose i am worried about the long shots for the ceremony etc etc - but also concerned i don't have a fast 25mm currently??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 and it was terrible. On first glance it seemed OK, but on closer inspection the optics were all over the place (maybe it was just my copy). The Olympus 25mm f1.8 was more consistent but not great. I have only tried the 25mm f1.2 in a store and it was a joy to behold, that feathered bokeh really did deserve that new name imo.

Instead I had and loved the Sigma 30mm f1.4, absolutely stunning sharpness. A million times better than the f1.7 and f1.8 25mm lenses, so the extra length didn't bother me. Its an absolute bargain too, so you could also grab the 56mm f1.4, or the Olympus 75mm with you having the 42.5mm already.

I liked the way a wedding photographer was way back from the action at my brother's wedding, totally non invasive. Whilst the bride's friends were all up in their faces the whole time with their GoPro and little mirrorless camera with kit lens. 

If thinking of getting the Olympus f1.2 you might want to check the T stop. At least one of those pro lenses had so much going on that it was only letting in a similar amount of light as a Sigma f1.4. That trio of Sigmas are awesome and I can't wait for them to come to Fujifilm, hopefully this year. They are what I miss most about M43.

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2020 at 6:16 AM, IronFilm said:

Get the Panasonic 25mm f1.7, is dirt cheap, is substantially faster than your f2.8 zoom while not losing too much light vs a f1.2 and the savings could easily afford for you to get a Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 as well!

I would also vote for Panasonic 25mm f1.7 and 42.5mm f1.7 combo. Don't be misguided by the low price of Panasonic 25mm lens as besides being comparably fast, it also renders quite nice image. 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:36 PM, Chxfgb said:

I had the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 and it was terrible. On first glance it seemed OK, but on closer inspection the optics were all over the place (maybe it was just my copy).

Should be the unfortunate copy then. Never had any issues with this lens so far (~4 years).

What I recommend is very dependent on what you want to take pictures of. People in a studio? People on a street? Sports? Bugs and flowers? Birds? Landscapes?

But I'm digging all the love of primes in this thread. Prime lenses are awesome to work with. Most (many?) styles of photography are all about timing. Primes help you control this timing.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:16 AM, IronFilm said:

Get the Panasonic 25mm f1.7, is dirt cheap, is substantially faster than your f2.8 zoom while not losing too much light vs a f1.2 and the savings could easily afford for you to get a Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 as well!

Yes! A fantastic lens and really affordable too. I used this lens a lot when I still had m43 gear.