Davinci resolve 17

zerocool22

6 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I see Resolve is trying to catch up to Adobe in instability 🙂

I think they will get back to stability very quickly. This is the first major version that I have tested in beta. The other betas were just small incremental changes. This one seems to have really revamped a lot of stuff. They also are already looking at my bug reports and asking for more input so I'm sure they'll figure it out. The good thing is it is actually crashing; the harder problems to figure out are when it stutters or something locks up but it doesn't actually crash.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've watched a few videos running down the new features, and I must say that I'm pretty excited for quite a few of the features.

The New Colour Wheels look awesome and I think i'll likely use them a lot.
I have a control surface so the Lift/Gamma/Gain controls are great for exposure corrections, but they are very 'macro' controls, not really having enough control over things like shadows vs blacks etc, especially for the naturally lit uncontrolled situations I shoot.  I can use curves, but they're a PITA to use with the control surface, so having the new colour wheels will be great, giving enough 'resolution' but still being fast enough to use quickly.

The Colour Warper (spiderweb) and luma/chroma warper will be quite handy too.
I often find myself wanting to quickly change the saturation, hue, and luma of certain colours (eg, foliage) and currently you have to bounce back and forwards between Hue v Hue, Hue v Sat, and Hue v Lum to do that.
Also, one of the things that I have played with in the past is a Saturation limiter.  The idea is that I want to up the saturation on clips, but when I do that sometimes theres a splash of colour in the background that goes nuclear in OTT saturation, so what you want is a curve that increases the saturation of colours under a certain threshold, but once a colour gets to a certain level of saturation it should encounter a 'knee' and the saturation boost should slow down at that point, limiting the most saturated elements of an image.  That's also possible easily with this tool.
I had previously used a Sat v Sat curve, but the risk of that is that you end up with overlaps where more saturated colours end up less than colours that started off less saturated to begin with, so I had to generate some test images to ensure I designed it correctly.

The new Sat vs Lum curve looks great too.
One of the things that I learned in investigating film is that emulating a subtractive colour model requires the darkening of more saturated colours, which currently has to be done in a relatively customised way, whereas this gives a nice curve.

I'm also curious about the new Temp and Tint controls.
I use Temp and Tint all the time to correct WB and apparently they've redesigned them to work in XYZ colour space (assuming I understood that correctly) which means they will be perceptually better, which is cool.

I'm looking forward to this software getting out of its early testing phase and secure enough for me to feel confident to upgrade.   I really love the upgrades to the colour controls.  Lots of options, and I would love to start working in a HDR colour workflow.  In some ways its a better step forward in image quality than  say jumping to 6K or 8K.   

21 hours ago, kye said:

I've watched a few videos running down the new features, and I must say that I'm pretty excited for quite a few of the features.

The New Colour Wheels look awesome and I think i'll likely use them a lot.
I have a control surface so the Lift/Gamma/Gain controls are great for exposure corrections, but they are very 'macro' controls, not really having enough control over things like shadows vs blacks etc, especially for the naturally lit uncontrolled situations I shoot.  I can use curves, but they're a PITA to use with the control surface, so having the new colour wheels will be great, giving enough 'resolution' but still being fast enough to use quickly.

The Colour Warper (spiderweb) and luma/chroma warper will be quite handy too.
I often find myself wanting to quickly change the saturation, hue, and luma of certain colours (eg, foliage) and currently you have to bounce back and forwards between Hue v Hue, Hue v Sat, and Hue v Lum to do that.
Also, one of the things that I have played with in the past is a Saturation limiter.  The idea is that I want to up the saturation on clips, but when I do that sometimes theres a splash of colour in the background that goes nuclear in OTT saturation, so what you want is a curve that increases the saturation of colours under a certain threshold, but once a colour gets to a certain level of saturation it should encounter a 'knee' and the saturation boost should slow down at that point, limiting the most saturated elements of an image.  That's also possible easily with this tool.
I had previously used a Sat v Sat curve, but the risk of that is that you end up with overlaps where more saturated colours end up less than colours that started off less saturated to begin with, so I had to generate some test images to ensure I designed it correctly.

The new Sat vs Lum curve looks great too.
One of the things that I learned in investigating film is that emulating a subtractive colour model requires the darkening of more saturated colours, which currently has to be done in a relatively customised way, whereas this gives a nice curve.

I'm also curious about the new Temp and Tint controls.
I use Temp and Tint all the time to correct WB and apparently they've redesigned them to work in XYZ colour space (assuming I understood that correctly) which means they will be perceptually better, which is cool.

Great post - the more color control tools the better!  I use Tint and Temp adjustments all the time. I have 3DLut creator but this seems like it will be better as it is Integrated.  Also I would love to keyframe the mess if possible. Is that possible?  Thanks!

22 hours ago, majoraxis said:

Great post - the more color control tools the better!  I use Tint and Temp adjustments all the time. I have 3DLut creator but this seems like it will be better as it is Integrated.  Also I would love to keyframe the mess if possible. Is that possible?  Thanks!

Resolve has quite a number of things that you can keyframe, but a trick for key framing anything is to duplicate the clip, put it on a layer on top of itself, and grade it slightly differently, then use the opacity to crossfade between the two grades.

I've used this trick a few times when panning/tilting in mixed lighting situations where I needed to change between grades and it worked really well.

11 hours ago, kye said:

Resolve has quite a number of things that you can keyframe, but a trick for key framing anything is to duplicate the clip, put it on a layer on top of itself, and grade it slightly differently, then use the opacity to crossfade between the two grades.

I've used this trick a few times when panning/tilting in mixed lighting situations where I needed to change between grades and it worked really well.

It's somewhat less intuitive than the method you mentioned, but one can change the Key Output Gain in the Key window on the color tab.

Just a quick tip: If one uses key frames in the key section of the color tab, you can navigate between them by using the [ and the] keys.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, jgharding said:

this all looks great!

But if you STILL can't reorder audio plugins in fairlight I shall be very disappointed...

But you can change the order, of vst plugins anyway. You just need to know how ... the inspector panel is a hint, as are some arrow like thingies where you can accidentally click on. That is how I found out anyway...

Ok, now I am truly impressed....you can finally change the timeline resolution after adding clips to the timeline. I know every other NLE could do this years ago, but it was one of my pet peeves with Resolve and they finally fixed it. Also, for some reason it stopped crashing for me, I am now editing entire projects with version 17 Beta and it is back to being rock solid. 

I haven't had time yet to watch their presentation to see all of the new features, but the ones I've found so far are great.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using 17 beta 2 today. So far I am impressed. HEVC playback is improved (the last few versions of 16 seemed to get worse, but it's back to being great), overall UI responsiveness is noticeably better, and the new color tool is pretty cool. I haven't had any crashes yet, but I also haven't done anything other than edit and color. I'm really excited for the direction this software is going!

On 11/17/2020 at 3:31 AM, herein2020 said:

Ok, now I am truly impressed....you can finally change the timeline resolution after adding clips to the timeline. I know every other NLE could do this years ago, but it was one of my pet peeves with Resolve and they finally fixed it. Also, for some reason it stopped crashing for me, I am now editing entire projects with version 17 Beta and it is back to being rock solid. 

I haven't had time yet to watch their presentation to see all of the new features, but the ones I've found so far are great.

At least since v10 7 years ago you can change the timeline resolution.... 

Blackmagic rules the filmmaking business today IMO : ) Sorta ARRI for Indie players :- )

12 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I started using 17 beta 2 today. So far I am impressed. HEVC playback is improved (the last few versions of 16 seemed to get worse, but it's back to being great), overall UI responsiveness is noticeably better, and the new color tool is pretty cool. I haven't had any crashes yet, but I also haven't done anything other than edit and color. I'm really excited for the direction this software is going!

7 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Not after you added clips to it.

For sure I do every time since years. I change the timeline res from FHD to 4k and back. Since I have the 1Dx III so R16 my workflow is timeline set to 4k dci for video editing and at the end I switch to 5.5k to grab stills.

What you cannot do in Resolve is changing the framerate once you added a clip. Maybe you are referring to this. Not sure you can change the frame rate on R17beta2....

4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

For sure I do every time since years. I change the timeline res from FHD to 4k and back. Since I have the 1Dx III so R16 my workflow is timeline set to 4k dci for video editing and at the end I switch to 5.5k to grab stills.

What you cannot do in Resolve is changing the framerate once you added a clip. Maybe you are referring to this. Not sure you can change the frame rate on R17beta2....

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

You were able to change the resolution but not the framerate after adding clips.

You're right, I was mixing up some things. You still can't change framerate after adding clips in 17b2.

What I was thinking of is that starting in version 16 you can have two timelines with different resolutions in the same project, which wasn't possible before.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

You're right, I was mixing up some things. You still can't change framerate after adding clips in 17b2.

What I was thinking of is that starting in version 16 you can have two timelines with different resolutions in the same project, which wasn't possible before.

There was a hack to do it that I came across.  From memory you save the project file (very important!), then select all clips on the timeline, edit-cut, now the timeline is empty you can change the frame rate, then paste everything back again.

I remember trying it and it working, so if the above doesn't work then let me know and I'll see if I wrote it down anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

@Phil A @gt3rs that's what I meant, I knew there was something you couldn't change in DR16 after creating the timeline.....the framerate. Back in DR14 I used to forget all the time since my starting framerate is usually 59.97FPS. Now in DR I have all of that set as defaults especially the frame rate so on import it automatically sets the right frame rate. It looks like in DR17 beta there's no change in that area. At least it lets you set project defaults so that you are more likely not to have the wrong timeline frame rate.