Davinci resolve 17

zerocool22

One thing I noticed when I looked into Resolve and tried to use it a few times is the massive lack of third party plugins for transitions, titles and effects and the ones that do exist seem to be such a horrid workaround to get working, that is if you can get them working at all. They need to add easy support for things like this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, kye said:

I'm curious about v17, but if it's like any other version we won't get anything but betas for some months, so if you're allergic to instability then it won't be out for quite some time....

It has been rock solid for me and all I seem to use are the beta versions. The only source of instability that I have ever had was in Fusion. Even the betas are far more stable than Premier Pro was for me. Stability in my opinion is its best 'feature'.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:34 PM, scotchtape said:

I used 15 free for years.  Finally a few months ago paid full price for resolve studio. Crashes constantly for me, all it takes is a click at the wrong time.  It's infuriating. Literally I try to change tabs at the wrong time and it crashes.

I had many infuriating performance issues with Resolve for a long time, I also started with the free version then paid for the Studio version...one very simple thing fixed everything for me...I  had to create a new user account on my system in Windows 10. I think something on the free version got left behind in my user profile and kept HW acceleration from working properly. If you are using Windows 10 I would try creating a new user account and testing it there.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:18 AM, zerocool22 said:

Oh and if possible make editing h265 smooth like butter. Then I might get a r5.

You can, you just need to use proxy files. Once you  generate optimized media in Resolve its like editing any other footage. The problem though is generating optimized media takes forever since there is no HW acceleration.

4 hours ago, Paul Cryer said:

One thing I noticed when I looked into Resolve and tried to use it a few times is the massive lack of third party plugins for transitions, titles and effects and the ones that do exist seem to be such a horrid workaround to get working, that is if you can get them working at all. They need to add easy support for things like this.

That was the case as recently as a few years ago, but there are plenty now, still not as many as PP, but I have found everything that I need for all the types of projects that I work on. Just look for Fusion titles, lower thirds, and transitions. My problem with Resolve is how bad Fusion sucks, I always seem to be waiting for something Fusion related to cache, that's why my only wish is for them to improve it.

The concept of Fusion is awesome, now I love node based editing, so much better than layers, but it's so unstable that I hate using it for any real work.

8 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

It has been rock solid for me and all I seem to use are the beta versions. The only source of instability that I have ever had was in Fusion. Even the betas are far more stable than Premier Pro was for me. Stability in my opinion is its best 'feature'.

I had many infuriating performance issues with Resolve for a long time, I also started with the free version then paid for the Studio version...one very simple thing fixed everything for me...I  had to create a new user account on my system in Windows 10. I think something on the free version got left behind in my user profile and kept HW acceleration from working properly. If you are using Windows 10 I would try creating a new user account and testing it there.

You can, you just need to use proxy files. Once you  generate optimized media in Resolve its like editing any other footage. The problem though is generating optimized media takes forever since there is no HW acceleration.

Yeah dont like to use proxy's because it takes time, and it takes up hard disk space. 

Wow, I was not expecting this to have so many new and useful features. Useful to me:

- collaboration with the free version: I have studio, but it would be beneficial to allow others to hop in and view the timeline

- The color warper looks incredible

- Fairlight improvements. We'll have to see how usable it is. Thus far I've dislike Fairlight, but it would be very nice to get all my post work into the same program. Reaper is very hard to beat, but I'll have to try out the new fairlight features.

- H264/H265 proxies. If I can dial the bitrate and resolution way down, we can have native proxies that don't take up a ton of disk space. Previously I made ~1Mb/s proxies with ffmpeg, but Resolve doesn't play particularly nicely with outside proxies. Going native might solve those problems

- Effects templaes

- Audio waveform in Fusion--awesome! I'd love to also be able to see the timeline output on the Fusion page, I didn't see anything about that anywhere though.

- Custom vector shapes. Would have been really useful for a project I did last weekend, and will come in handy once or twice per year.

The new editing keyboard looks very interesting...

Of course, this paves the way for a Resolve Nano Surface which will be the size of a normal keyboard, has the editing controls / jog wheel on one side and three trackballs / control knobs on the other, and will be $199.  I'd preorder one of those right now, maybe more than one if I was bouncing between locations. 

Well Resolve 17 made a liar out of me.....completely unusable for me so far. The interface looks much improved but it crashes non stop on my machine. I dragged in two clips and it crashed so hard that I had to reboot my whole computer. It did send a crash report to Blackmagic Design so at least that's something. I tried again and just adding two clips, a quick color grade, then trimming a clip and it crashed hard; the footage is out of the S5 so H264 4K60FPS 4:2:0 LongGOP. I tried one more time with some R6 footage just to see if H.265 was any better and it played slightly smoother than the previous version but would still need proxies.

A really cool new feature is you get to preview your Fusion effects, that was so annoying to me in the previous version. So I guess Resolve 17 is great as long as I don't add any footage to the timeline, hopefully whatever is happening on my machine will get fixed soon.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

@herein2020 Ouch. What hardware/OS do you have? I'll try it eventually and see if I have better stability. I guess the real headline should be that this is a beta, and if I recall correctly the 16 beta started off pretty unstable as well and went through many public iterations before coming out of beta.

I have a Core i9 14 core CPU, RTX2080Ti video card with the latest Studio drivers, 64GB of memory, NVME RAID array for my OS drive, NVME RAID array for my projects drive, and dedicated SSD RAID array for my cache drive. I did discover that the clips from the S5 that I thought were H264 were actually H265, so I imported some H264 clips instead and it hasn't crashed yet. I also turned off HW acceleration closed DR, opened DR turned back on HW acceleration and restarted DR one more time. It's no longer crashing with either H265 or H264 clips but I wouldn't trust it for a real project.

The interface seems more responsive, Fusion clips cache faster, the Inspector tab is more useful, and the color page looks nicer, but many of the annoying behaviors remain as well.

17 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I have a Core i9 14 core CPU, RTX2080Ti video card with the latest Studio drivers, 64GB of memory, NVME RAID array for my OS drive, NVME RAID array for my projects drive, and dedicated SSD RAID array for my cache drive.

I have an AMD CPU so might get different results. But my guess is that if its crashing with H265 files then it's something with the GPU, and since I also have Nvidia it might be the same story.

17 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The interface seems more responsive, Fusion clips cache faster, the Inspector tab is more useful, and the color page looks nicer, but many of the annoying behaviors remain as well.

That sounds like they're heading the right direction. One reason I don't use Fairlight is that the UI was so slow and sticky.

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I see Resolve is trying to catch up to Adobe in instability 🙂

Haha, I sure hope not! At least Blackmagic is honest about it being a beta.

6 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I see Resolve is trying to catch up to Adobe in instability 🙂

It's literally the first beta version!  Kids these days 🙄🙄🙄

21 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Well Resolve 17 made a liar out of me.....completely unusable for me so far. The interface looks much improved but it crashes non stop on my machine. I dragged in two clips and it crashed so hard that I had to reboot my whole computer. It did send a crash report to Blackmagic Design so at least that's something. I tried again and just adding two clips, a quick color grade, then trimming a clip and it crashed hard; the footage is out of the S5 so H264 4K60FPS 4:2:0 LongGOP. I tried one more time with some R6 footage just to see if H.265 was any better and it played slightly smoother than the previous version but would still need proxies.

A really cool new feature is you get to preview your Fusion effects, that was so annoying to me in the previous version. So I guess Resolve 17 is great as long as I don't add any footage to the timeline, hopefully whatever is happening on my machine will get fixed soon.

If history is any guide then there will be a new beta out very soon.  I don't have the data, but it seems like with previous versions they'd occasionally put out a beta that had a big issue for a lot of people and they'd fix it within days in a subsequent release.

One thing that people don't really know about software development is that companies like Amazon make releases multiple times per day.  They're just very small and in some feature you probably don't use, so it doesn't seem like that's what's happening.  Bug fixing is obviously a different thing as it takes time to diagnose and then fix without breaking other stuff, but that's the life of a beta tester.

I gave up on betas a few versions ago - unless you want to be a beta tester then I just wait for the full release.