One Week with SLR Magic anamorphot (OM-D & Sony A7) !!! :)

Sebastien Farges

Hi everybody and anamorphic lovers ! 

Here is my 1st movie with the upcoming SLR Magic anamorphot 1.33X - 50 anamorphic lens on OM-D & Sony A7 !!! :)

It's now since one week that I own the upcoming new anamorphic lens from SLR Magic, the anamorphot 1.33X - 50.
It's a compact and light 1.33X anamorphic lens, working from 40mm on full frame and 20mm on M43 systems.
It has the particularity of having a focus ring for close focus, it's very convenient because you can use it without diopters. Another difference seems to be the usuability of shooting at fast apertures. I even did a fast test at T0.95 on the SLR Magic 25mm and the image was still usable ! More tests to come.

I've used two cameras with two different lenses on this movie.
First the OM-D OM-5 from Olympus. Despite it's not so good video codec, this camera has what the other cameras don't have (yet) : an incredible 5 axis stabilization system. The addition of the Lumix 20mm with the SLR Magic anamorphot on the OM-D make quite the perfect combo. The problem that I still have with the love-able OM-D is finding the best image mode. I'm usually using the "Art3" mode Pale&Light Color (like in this movie), or sometimes "Art4" mode Light tone mode. 
Second the new Sony A7, the first full frame hybrid camera. For me this camera is very lovable too. For the first time it's offering the same flexibility than M43 systems : putting thousand third part lenses (such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Contax, Leica, M39, M42, Cine lenses, and so on....). And enjoy those lenses in full frame. 
The 50$ Nikon 50mm f1.8 is a cheap and very good pancake lens. I've put on the Sony A7 with a Novoflex E to Nikon mount adapter. The result with the SLR Anamorphot is very good too, and there is less distortion on the edges than the Lumix 20mm on the OM-D. It's real obvious when you watch the difference on the flares from the two lenses. 
Using the diopters on the SLR Magic anamorphot improve the sharpness of the image. The 0.33X achromatic diopter from SLR Magic seems good and offer more sharpness, but it is not indispensable for close focus, because of the close up focus ring of the lens. The 1.3X gives the possibility to film closer to the subject, and the 3X I'm using too... The three diopters of the movie are reavealing tremendous flares, as you can see at the end of the "Crêpes scene".

Thank you for watching ! Any comment are welcome ! :)

SLR Magic anamorphot 1.33X - 50 anamorphic lens

SLR Magic 0.33X and 1.3X achromatics diopters
Marumi 3X achromatic diopter

on Sony A7 with Nikon 50mm f1.8 E Serie
and Olympus OM-D O-M5 with Lumix 20mm f1.7 pancake lens

1080 24P on the Sony
1080 30P on the Olympus
from 200 ISO (most of the time), 800 ISO (kitchen scene) to 2000 ISO (couch scene)
Apertures from f1.7 to f5.6, most of the shot taken at f2.8
Light Craft mark II variable ND filter

Music : Trentemøller "Candy Tongue (Feat. Marie Fisker)" from Lost

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Im in a bad situation right now. I need to find myself a stills camera, as the C100 will maintain as my camera for shooting vids, but that axis stabi kills it for me. Thats just amazing. On the other hand RAW files from the A7 look amazing. Would that Olympus be cheaper I'd really think about forgettin sensor size and go with the crop. 

Ive watched the first 5min and the Sony a7 looks a lot softer to me. Also the flares aint that good. 

And I might say this cause I owe one, but that look just aint no Iscorama look. :)

Seb, you have both cameras... what would be your recommendation? Should I go with the Olympus or the A7? 

Also the flares aint that good. 

And I might say this cause I owe one, but that look just aint no Iscorama look. :)

There's a combination of factors here, from the sensor to codec and how all the highlights are being handled.  They seem a touch more harsh at times, in certain scenarios here, than what I'm seeing on the GH2 + Driftwood patch through a more vintage Nikkor.  

I'm liking how the Anamorphot is a bit quicker to flare, with sharper flares, compared to my Century Optics adapter.

Im in a bad situation right now. I need to find myself a stills camera, as the C100 will maintain as my camera for shooting vids, but that axis stabi kills it for me. Thats just amazing. On the other hand RAW files from the A7 look amazing. Would that Olympus be cheaper I'd really think about forgettin sensor size and go with the crop. 

Ive watched the first 5min and the Sony a7 looks a lot softer to me. Also the flares aint that good. 

Seb, you have both cameras... what would be your recommendation? Should I go with the Olympus or the A7? 

The 1st minute is OMD, then Sony A7 up to 4:35, then OMD then A7 coming back at 6:55....

The choice is very difficult. Personally I prefer the A7, especially for it's stills, but the stabilization of the OMD is tremendous...

Apparently the video mode of the next OM-D generation is better, you can read the post of EOSHD.

I think the best camera isn't out now, maybe the upcoming 4K from Sony will have the stabilization ? Apparently the GH4 does not have it :p

Seb

There's a combination of factors here, from the sensor to codec and how all the highlights are being handled.  They seem a touch more harsh at times, in certain scenarios here, than what I'm seeing on the GH2 + Driftwood patch through a more vintage Nikkor.  

I'm liking how the Anamorphot is a bit quicker to flare, with sharper flares, compared to my Century Optics adapter.

I'm going to have the pancake 40mm Konica F1.8 Hexanon. Apparently it is working good with the SLR anamorphot, more tests soon.