24-70 on RF - Sigma vs Tamron

PaulUsher

Using EF lenses on RF mount + drop in ND adaptor (so not looking at the awesome and expensive RF 24-70). Replacing ageing Tamron 24-70 VC for something with smoother AF - the focussing can be jumpy and jarring. Looking for decent in-lens stabilisation.

Was originally thinking the Tamron G2 but the stabilisation looks sticky for panning. Thoughts / experiences? Anyone using the Sigma 24-70 Art on Canon and can comment on the stabilisation -is it sticky, is it jerky? Mixed reports on internet, some say it’s not effective at all, some say it’s better than the Tamron. Limited footage out there - what I’ve seen looks ok...

Will probably rent both the Sigma and Tamron to test, but would be grateful for long term opinions going into this upgrade. Will likely be my workhorse lens for years to come. Cheers. 
Paul

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, PaulUsher said:

Using EF lenses on RF mount + drop in ND adaptor (so not looking at the awesome and expensive RF 24-70). Replacing ageing Tamron 24-70 VC for something with smoother AF - the focussing can be jumpy and jarring. Looking for decent in-lens stabilisation.

Was originally thinking the Tamron G2 but the stabilisation looks sticky for panning. Thoughts / experiences? Anyone using the Sigma 24-70 Art on Canon and can comment on the stabilisation -is it sticky, is it jerky? Mixed reports on internet, some say it’s not effective at all, some say it’s better than the Tamron. Limited footage out there - what I’ve seen looks ok...

Will probably rent both the Sigma and Tamron to test, but would be grateful for long term opinions going into this upgrade. Will likely be my workhorse lens for years to come. Cheers. 
Paul

If you can get by with an f/4, the Canon 24-70mm f/4 is fantastic and the IS is better than some of the cheaper cameras with IBIS...

This was shot with the 24-70mm at f/4...1B63372B-9547-4B39-BB0D-5695A8826749.thumb.jpeg.b090f48da45aafd9bce35280ba238522.jpeg

On 11/2/2020 at 1:12 AM, mercer said:

If you can get by with an f/4, the Canon 24-70mm f/4 is fantastic and the IS is better than some of the cheaper cameras with IBIS...

This was shot with the 24-70mm at f/4...

Thanks Mercer, that’s a good looking picture. I used f/4 for a while but kept finding a needed more light.

2 hours ago, PaulUsher said:

Thanks Mercer, that’s a good looking picture. I used f/4 for a while but kept finding a needed more light.

Thanks, it's actually a raw video frame. I felt the same way about f/4 until I noticed that I was consistently shooting between 35 and 50mm, so I used the zoom most of the time and then when I needed more light, I put the, equally excellent, 35mm f/2 IS lens on the camera. It made a perfect little two lens set up.

Regrettably, I sold the f/4 zoom and have missed it ever since. I thought about replacing it with the lenses you're considering, but I've heard the Tamron attracts a lot of dust and the Sigma is just so massive, with a backwards zoom/focus ring placement.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks, it's actually a raw video frame. I felt the same way about f/4 until I noticed that I was consistently shooting between 35 and 50mm, so I used the zoom most of the time and then when I needed more light, I put the, equally excellent, 35mm f/2 IS lens on the camera. It made a perfect little two lens set up.

Regrettably, I sold the f/4 zoom and have missed it ever since. I thought about replacing it with the lenses you're considering, but I've heard the Tamron attracts a lot of dust and the Sigma is just so massive, with a backwards zoom/focus ring placement.

Thanks, yeah I love that 35. The crash zoom has become part of our visual vocabulary on a mockumentary we’re developing so I think we’ll need to carry one of these heavy zooms. Would try the Tamron first, as that looks to perform better, but the Sigma will pair well with the 18-35 we’ll also be using - so I may buy and try the Sigma first, and return if it’s just too heavy and the stabilisation doesn’t work as I hope it does. I worry about that zoom ring placement too - so need to get a feel of it. Will let you know my thoughts.