What camera should i buy for photography/videography?

JackHorror

Hallo everyone, with so many options i am not sure what to buy,

i need some advice, which camera you think is better for photography and which one for videography, or which one is for both?

I am thinking of buying a Sony a7iii for photography and BMPC4k/6k for videography.

But i haven't made up my mind yet.

Budget 3000€.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, JackHorror said:

Budget 3000€.

Probably safe to say that with 3K you'll be fine with whatever kit you end up with.  If you can't get impressive images with that level of camera, it's not the camera, y'know?  Personally, I'd worry less about the specs in that segment of the market and check out ergonomics and other such "intangibles" as you handle display models. 

What's your work?  Do you need AF for video?  Do you want a camera to do both?   Do you own any lenses and have you factored that into your budget.

Pocket 4K/6K are brilliant if you want to work with RAW files and practise colour grading.  Plus you get Resolve for free.   You could pick up one of the cheaper Sony or Canon models for Photography.   Though Canon EF lenses would work with the P4K (with adaptor) or P6K natively; making Canon a better choice for your photo camera.

Panasonic S5 is a brilliant combi option.  S1H if you want better quality.  But it is more than your budget.  

If you need video AF, a Sony will be ideal for a hybrid.  I'd suggest the Canon R6, but its overheat still makes it an issue.  

We can help you better if you let us know WHAT you want to photograph and what you want to film.

For example, if you will be shooting sports (both photos and video) you will probably want a camera with really good autofocus and a high fps. 

If you are shooting travel videos, then a video camera with a really wide dynamic range, good low light and more color depth, yet somewhat portable might be a good idea.

If you are shooting documentaries, maybe a camera that would be a more streamlined "run and gun" camera might be be better. 

If you plan to shoot photos and videos of weddings, you might have a different need than other areas. 

Also, if you are going to shoot with two (or more) cameras at the same time, it might be best to get two of the same cameras so that it is easier to match the footage (make the colors look the same) from both cameras.

It looks like in the past you MIGHT have owned a GH4 and / or a GX85, right? (I just looked at your content history and it looks like you brought up some topics related to those cameras). If so, do you have a collection of M43 lenses???

@fuzzynormal The thing is that i see a lot of comparison's and i can't decide.

@SteveV4D@Mark Romero 2 The budget includes a lens. I would like to photograph weddings/portaits/make up/fashion/etc and i would like to film videoclips/documentaries.

Yes i need autofocus for filming, so i was thinking getting the bmpc4k/6k + lidar autofocus.

Yes i am an owner of GX85 but right now i own only one lens.

1 minute ago, JackHorror said:

@SteveV4D@Mark Romero 2 The budget includes a lens. I would like to photograph weddings/portaits/make up/fashion/etc and i would like to film videoclips/documentaries.

Yes i need autofocus for filming, so i was thinking getting the bmpc4k/6k + lidar autofocus.

I would not trust the lidar setup for a run gun situations, especially if you need to quickly change lenses. I don't even know if that would work properly with a zoom. 

Just get a A7III, or if you can wait a bit the A7IV when it's announced, and the tamron 28-75. 

4 hours ago, JackHorror said:

am an owner of GX85 but right now i own only one lens.

I'm an owner of an EM10III and 3 lenses, but typically only use one (manual prime) ...and I make films all the time, so my perspective is that almost all this gear on the market pretty much works great if you know what you want and how to get it.

7 hours ago, JackHorror said:

I like @Geoff CBsuggestion of getting an a7 III. you can probably buy one used for around $1500 (maybe less???) as the price NEW just dropped to $1700.

If you decide you want to go 10-bit, then there is the Fuji X-T3 / X-T4. On the other hand, if you shoot 8-bit Cine 4 on the a7 III with the contrast down (or shoot in HLG) you are gonna get about as much dynamic range as the X-T3 in FLOG.  

I like my Panasonic S1 a lot, but it is heavy and the autofocus is second-rate. I might "trade down" to an S5 since it has better AF and is lighter, and since I normally use Lens image stabilization to avoid warping when on a gimbal. Lenses for full frame panasonic cameras are expensive though. They are VERY GOOD lenses for video, but expensive. 

At 3k, I think you are going to struggle to get 2 cameras such as an A7iii and a Black Magic and lenses etc, so why not just consider one single hybrid and one decent zoom?

At 3k, my pick right now would be Fuji XT4 with battery grip + 16-55mm f2.8 and you'd have some change left over.

Right there you have got shoot all day capability due to the already good in body battery and with added grip power...which nicely balance out the 16-55mm f2.8...which has a FF focal range of 24-83mm...produces excellent stills and exceedingly high video quality straight out of the box.

I honestly think it is the least compromised hybrid available right now, all factors considered including price.

My other pick would be the Lumix S5 which is what I have chosen as my hybrid, but for me, I'd prefer to shoot this as a pair with some fast primes...which are coming shortly, but a pair of anything (except maybe XT3's) will bust your budget.

My third and final option would be a pair of XT3's, with the 23mm f2, 50mm and 90mm f2 which would just sneak into your budget if you bought nearly new with the only real caveat being no IBIS or OIS with any of that so maybe less useable on the video side without mono or tripod.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, JackHorror said:

Just get an A7C and spend the rest on lenses. You’ll be fine for most work and have major focal lengths covered with a great camera and good video option. $3k imho isn’t enough for multiple systems. Plus, e-mount gives you a path to some great cinema cameras you can rent or buy later. Fuji, imho, is a dead-end considering their limited camera range and total lack of dedicated video offerings. Fine if you want a second system, but not a good choice for a primary hybrid one. 

8 hours ago, rdouthit said:

Fuji, imho, is a dead-end considering their limited camera range and total lack of dedicated video offerings

True they do not have a dedicated video camera, though they do offer dedicated video lenses, but based on the OP's original question and further responses, this is someone looking to get into photography/video on a relatively low budget rather than expecting to shoot even an indie movie.

The Fuji XT3 produces excellent 4k, 10 bit internal video, full-frame quality matching stills and the XT4 ups the game further with IBIS and back up insurance of being able to write to both cards which few can do. As a starting out system or moving up from 4/3rds, it's excellent.

Weak point is the lack of video-orientated lenses with AF though several of them are more than good enough in this department, particularly the; 18-55, 16-55, 50-140, 23 f2 and 50 f2.

It's the system I have been used for 50+ jobs since the XT3 came out (and XH1 previously) but have just moved the Lumix S5 for a number of reasons that are not critical of the Fuji system.

There really is not a bad system though, whether it be Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panny or Fuji as each have strengths and weaknesses and will suit certain users better than others.

I post it here even if I am a bit disappointed about lack of 10 bit internal in the latest z6ii because this guy has a nice perspective of a hybrid shooter shooting the z6ii compared to the Canon R6. At least with Z6ii you still get 10 bit prores/dnxhr recording external and even RAW, with now not only Prores with Atomos, but also Black magic RAW which will go to 4k 60p in RAW (1.5 crop). The rest of the Z6 camera is just so good, very very good EVF, IBIS, body build and ergonomics, with the magic switch (from photo to video) and what I like the most very very good image quality even in 8 bit 😞 .

My hope is that if enough people complain they could give internal 10 bit, which would make it one of the best, if not the best Hybrid camera for about 2k. I forgot to add above that the autofocus also was already very good on the z6, and now it seems even better in the version ii with eye auto detect in video. I say that because the Achilles' heel of the Panasonic S5. For now I would recommend the z6ii bundle with the 24-70 F4 (very good lens) and the ftz adapter which give you the possibility to all the Fmount Nikon lens. I think you will have some money to put some 50mm 1.8 also in the 3k.

This is in Chinese but you can see test side by side of z6ii and Canon R6. 

13 minutes ago, JackHorror said:

Thank you guys for all the answers/advices?

What about S1 vs S5?

If you want to record externally to an atomos I'd get the S1 due to it having a full hdmi rather than a micro. You will have to wait for the firmware update early next year to get the 6k raw out though. 

Otherwise they are essentially the same camera (after the S1 gets the already announced update). The S5 is smaller and has a flippy screen. The S1 also has no record limits. 

But yeah for a hybrid camera I think the S1 or S5 is the best right now.