Video quality charts - February 2014

Andrew Reid

Ok, I know this list is purely for cameras in their stock form (EDIT: there are many cameras here not in their stock form) but I would be very interested on how you would rate something like the GH3 or GM1 with Speedbooster. I say this because you say you scored some cameras higher because you like the look of the larger sensor (subjective). If you add a Speedbooster to the GH3 or GM1 to level the playing field on your subjective taste for larger sensors, where would they score then?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, how about entries for the C100 and C500 without an external recorder?

You will not notice a difference between the C100 with an external recorder and the AVCHD implementation if you just playback stuff and watch it.

Pixel peeping still frames you will notice differences in noise texture and artifacts.

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

I agree the G6 went off the radar on this forum as it came out while ML 5D iii  RAW was all the rage

Show some G6 love Andrew! It's the real successor to the GH2. One of the most underrated camera's of 2013, it should get it's well deserved spot on your site of all places :) Why wait for march to put it in the list?

We should probably remember though that Andrew wrote an extremely positive review of the G6 when it came out. But yes surprising it got forgotten! It's far and away the best budget camera out there ATM.

If you want to influence the manufacturers, this is the way to do it   That may be good or bad ;)  I'd create a "Pocket list".  I'd like to see a place for the Canon EOS-M, which has mic input, shoots RAW, etc.  

Also, my small beef with the Alexis article is it wasn't compared to DSLRs.  I don't think professional cameras should be excluded, but should be used to illustrate what features are lacking in consumer cameras and how well certain consumer cameras can overcome the limitations, etc.

While I have far to little knowledge to comment on leagues II to V, I would definitivly choose an other order for league I. The RED Monochrome is a pure b/w camera so it maybe shouldn't be on the list.

My downgrade of the ARRI Alexa cameras isn't because I think that ARRI makes inferiour cameras. But both the Sony F65 and F55 as well as the RED Dragon have new generation sensors, so it's not surpising that they surpase the Alexas. I don't think that the RED Dragon much surpases the F65, but it's way smaller and cheaper.

The Canon 1D C is not a professional camera, especially given the terrible compression.

League 1

1. Red Dragon
  2. Sony F65
  3. Sony F55
  4. Alexa Studio
  5. Alexa / Amira
  6. Canon C500 (4K with external recorder)
  7. Sony F5
  8. Red MX
  9. Canon 1D C (4K internal – lightly graded only)

While I have far to little knowledge to comment on leagues II to V, I would definitivly choose an other order for league I. The RED Monochrome is a pure b/w camera so it maybe shouldn't be on the list.

My downgrade of the ARRI Alexa cameras isn't because I think that ARRI makes inferiour cameras. But both the Sony F65 and F55 as well as the RED Dragon have new generation sensors, so it's not surpising that they surpase the Alexas. I don't think that the RED Dragon much surpases the F65, but it's way smaller and cheaper.

The Canon 1D C is not a professional camera, especially given the terrible compression.

League 1

1. Red Dragon
  2. Sony F65
  3. Sony F55
  4. Alexa Studio
  5. Alexa / Amira
  6. Canon C500 (4K with external recorder)
  7. Sony F5
  8. Red MX
  9. Canon 1D C (4K internal – lightly graded only)

working with  footage from red dragon…too early to tell on this camera ..specs are good but have to use it more  to judge…Alexa right now deserves the top spot in digital..compression on 1dc isn't a bad thing…

and how about something for filmmakers: http://www.logmar.dk/

"Why bother with film when XYZ company is going digital?

We do not believe in digital footage, it's as simple as that. Our passion is not for "plastic like" colours and high definition marketing jargon over which sensor chip has the most amount of pixels (and least amount of bad ones), so you won’t see us developing a camera for this market, also the digital film camera market is already dominated by big players such as Panasonic, Black Magic and Arriflex so we wouldn't be able to "pack a punch" especially being number #400 vendor of a camera in this space..."

:) 

A noble cause but Blackmagic have already done the same thing... with digital.

Again GH3, GM1 and BM cameras with speedboosters?

If, you are going to add the Mosaic filters to improve the weak canon cameras, how about speedbooster to make up for the smaller sensor and low light ability?

I'm still impressed how good RED MX still is. Worked with it and an EPIC last week and the image just blew me away. It's such a nice sensor. folks can use it for years yet.

And also MKIII can achieve wonders in RAW mode. I think its colour calibration is just fantastic. Really top notch and also details on the images are awesome. BM cameras come close of course, but I don't know, that's something in raw coming from MKIII that's in another league.

IMO, was looking at a feature done on F5 and there is something weird about that camera.  The way the sensor scans makes a strange kind of jumpy look in hand held, not like rolling shutter but something new.  The dynamic range is better than F3, but not leaps and bounds, so I would rate it much lower and further not suggest it as a camera to use because of this oddity I saw in a lot of footage.  

Also, I have shot a lot with GH2 and FS-100, and although the FS-100 image wise is more forgiving, they do about the same thing in good light and GH2 is just way easier to work with, I can't rate the FS-100 that high, too much a pain to work with (hours spent trying to rig it up with equipment that isn't meant to work with something so stupid shaped).  If the GH series are league 3, then the FS cameras should be too for sure.  

Really, a priority for these cameras should be versatility, so no way should camera that alias and moire and over heat and have retarded ergonomics be within the top III.