Video quality charts - February 2014

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I would like to know how you would compare canon c100 vs sony fs100 both with internal and external recording options.

as they are both great s35 camcorders with audio features and their own weaknesses (no nd's for the fs and no slo-mo for the c100).

C100 internal quality is better than FS100 internal but not by a huge margin. Both similar codec, AVCHD at 24Mbit. C100 just gives that bit more detail and is cleaner with less aliasing around bright highlights.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

G6 I forgot. It would come in between the GH2 and GM1. I'll add it to the March chart.

Show some G6 love Andrew! It's the real successor to the GH2. One of the most underrated camera's of 2013, it should get it's well deserved spot on your site of all places :) Why wait for march to put it in the list?

Not sure if it's logical to put the GM1 above the GH3. Maybe the GX7 should be in that place? The GM1 doesn't have 60p for example. No audio in- and outputs.

Also I'd say the D5300 / D5200 should be split. D5300 has 60p over the D5200, so I'd rank it higher.

Why is the RX10 rated so low? Is the quality worse than the 5D Mark II stock?

I think it'd be good to add a little bit of info to the list for each camera.

Like strong points and weak points (moire, resolution, framerates, in/outputs, peaking yes/no, etc).

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

Show some G6 love Andrew! It's the real successor to the GH2. One of the most underrated camera's of 2013, it should get it's well deserved spot on your site of all places :) Why wait for march to put it in the list?

Not sure if it's logical to put the GM1 above the GH3. Maybe the GX7 should be in that place? The GM1 doesn't have 60p for example. No audio in- and outputs.

Also I'd say the D5300 / D5200 should be split. D5300 has 60p over the D5200, so I'd rank it higher.

Like strong points and weak points (moire, resolution, framerates, in/outputs, peaking yes/no, etc).

Exactly what he said.^^ All of it.

Plus the D5300 has no banding in the shadows vs the 5200. Plus it has insane amounts of DR for a low-bitrate camera - much more than a non-RAW 5D3 (esp. with flat profile). My list would probably have the GX7 and D5300 slogging it out at the top of League 2 (though I haven't seen much video from the GX7 yet). If the list really is just about image quality, the only thing the GH3 and G6 have over the D5300 is resolution really.

I think there's also a good case for specifying whether the Panasonics are ranked with the Speed Booster in mind or not. They do add a lot of 'spec' to the cameras (and seeing as the Canons have been divided into ML and non-ML).

• Administrators

When you have to start explaining each position on the list it's not a chart anymore.

Yeah GH3 should be ahead of GM1 but it isn't... because it's purely an image quality chart - ergonomics and features aren't really factored in it.

Again the image from the D5200 and D5300 is so similar they are grouped on the chart. Once you start charting cameras on features you end up with 'not an image quality chart' but something a LOT more complicated.

• Administrators

Updated the article into leagues of 10, take a look. RX10 has a nice clean image, but the codec is a bit muddy and the sensor is quite small. The full frame look and interchangeable lenses make for a more cinematic end result on the 5D, whilst the RX10's look is largely determined by the lens it comes with.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to put all of these cameras in one place, but giving them grades for specific characteristics for video that we don't find easily on other sites, like the guys over at The Verge do when they review something.

So, in one post we'd have all of these cameras like this for example:

5DIII

DR - 9/10

Resolution - 7/10

Low light - 10/10

Ergonomy - 7/10

Codec - 5/10

Battery life - 8/10

Price - 8/10

Etc

GH3

DR - 8/10

Resolution - 10/10

Low light - 8/10

Ergonomy - 7/10

Codec - 7/10

Battery life - 8/10

Price - 9/10

Etc

On each camera you could disclose your reasoning and preference bias and let people know why you think said camera has better bang for buck, for example.

And then let the readers decide what is the ranking based on their specific preference and needs/budget.

As more cameras come out, we would get a monthly update with new posts.

I think you've earned a very good reputation with all your work on this site. And I believe that having this kind of resource would turn out to be a very welcome reference, especially for beginners.

I agree the G6 went off the radar on this forum as it came out while ML 5D iii  RAW was all the rage

it is a superb camera and now very affordable on ebay - £250 !!!

the remote wifi control via an iphone of focus and record on / off is worth that alone - no hdmi needed

I agree the G6 went off the radar on this forum as it came out while ML 5D iii  RAW was all the rage

it is a superb camera and now very affordable on ebay - £250 !!!

the remote wifi control via an iphone of focus and record on / off is worth that alone - no hdmi needed

and how about the iPhone 5s..nice..does it rate