Video quality charts - February 2014

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

I'd be interested to know where you'd place the GX7 (is it the same as the GM1 for video?). Plus the G6 is an improvement on the GH2 in some ways (better shadows, better colours(?)).

I'd like to see 'League 2' reshuffled for each major attribute: e.g. one list for resolution (GH3 at the top?); one for low-light (GM1/5D3/D5300?); one for dynamic range (D5300?). Perhaps this is something we could do here on the forum?

• Administrators

G6 I forgot. It would come in between the GH2 and GM1. I'll add it to the March chart.

Hacked GH1 would come in around the 5D Mark II level. Smaller sensor but the cleaner image makes up for it.

Maybe better to have leagues of 10 next time too.

Any other suggestions?

Not sure if I'm interpreting this post correctly but you can slice and dice this list up a 100 ways depending on the particular job. For instance you have the 5d higher than an F3 with slog. On a doc job, under various scenarios I feel you'll get a better image out of the f3 than the 5d. A more controlled situation you maybe right. Plus (with the odyssey) I like the fs700 over the red one MX any day. 240 fps 2k RAW, 4k compressed (soon). 12 bit 444 1080 off the 4k signal. Ive seen it and it lokks like a differnt camera, great image. For narrative, commercial it's a different story, maybe you should've put a 35mm film camera before the Alexa if only image quality was your focus? I enjoyed the read but think choosing the right camera for a job boils down to more than just the image.

Not sure if I'm interpreting this post correctly but you can slice and dice this list up a 100 ways depending on the particular job. For instance you have the 5d higher than an F3 with slog. On a doc job, under various scenarios I feel you'll get a better image out of the f3 than the 5d. A more controlled situation you maybe right. Plus (with the odyssey) I like the fs700 over the red one MX any day. 240 fps 2k RAW, 4k compressed (soon). 12 bit 444 1080 off the 4k signal. Ive seen it and it lokks like a differnt camera, great image. For narrative, commercial it's a different story, maybe you should've put a 35mm film camera before the Alexa if only image quality was your focus? I enjoyed the read but think choosing the right camera for a job boils down to more than just the image.

It doesn't matter as no-one is beholden to the list.  I think it just puts things in the correct ball park.  Useful for beginners.

• Administrators

Surprised as well for 5DIII h264 > GH3

These was one of the most subjective areas of the chart. I like the full frame look, low light and lack of moire of the 5D Mark III in stock video mode, even though I hardly ever shoot that way because of the Magic Lantern raw revolution. But the GH3 resolves more detail and has the better video-related features and ergonomics.

Yes the 5D Mark III was a disappointment when it came out - it could have been even better had Canon given us more video features and more resolution.

• Administrators

How about the Sony NEX-VG20?
Is it too bad to even be considered ?

Pretty much a NEX 5N with a worse form factor for a lot more money, so I've never used one, therefore I wouldn't know where to place it on the chart. Pretty close to the bottom I'd say.