EOSHD on The Golden Hour podcast with Dave Maze / In-depth interview

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I can think of a couple of YouTubers that could be that third guest and you'd could probably then sell the PPV rights to Showtime.

lets get ready to rumble GIF

would you believe that

By 1984, Buffer developed the catchphrase "Let's get ready to rumble" in his announcing, which gained enormous popularity. He began the process of obtaining a federal trademark for the phrase in the 1980s, acquiring it in 1992. Consequently, Buffer has earned in excess of $400 million with the license for his trademark.[4]

I appreciated your(@Andrew Reid & @Dave Maze) insight on Olympus and their opportunities. Just a few months ago, almost everyone was saying they're over without giving the slightest chance to the new ownership... seems unfair. They have a unique opportunity for becoming competitive in video due to not a having high-end video market to protect, especially if any sort of raw or 10 bit is included on the camera. Add waveforms and a few other significant features in firmware and they could be golden, given there are so many lenses are out there (new and used). Forget the FF stuff, just sit back and watch other commit suicide in that market.

So much of the focus is on the cameras- not enough on lens selection (with AF). MFT and Olympus in particular could have amazing possibilities here with their phase detect AF. If done right, they could eat up significant market share. Sure, it probably will never be the dominant player, but it will attract hobbyists and pros alike (as they often just rent high-end gear that matches customer needs).

A question to both of you: Do you think Panasonic will ever have PDAF? I've heard many people say this won't happen because Sony owns the tech when it come to their sensors and won't "allow" Panasonic to have it. Personally, I think it's BS, but have you heard similar notions? Without PDAF on MFT, their future's very limited IMO for video.

16 hours ago, John Matthews said:

A question to both of you: Do you think Panasonic will ever have PDAF? I've heard many people say this won't happen because Sony owns the tech when it come to their sensors and won't "allow" Panasonic to have it.

Good question. I think the reason is licensing. In the long run AI enhanced DFD could just do the trick better than other tech. Question is, will S1 get free 10bit as the G9 and the S5 already has from the start? What about the 10bit 4k60? You know it for sure, guys. 🙂   @Andrew Reid@Dave Maze

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Good question. I think the reason is licensing. In the long run AI enhanced DFD could just do the trick better than other tech. Question is, will S1 get free 10bit as the G9 and the S5 already has from the start? What about the 10bit 4k60? You know it for sure, guys. 🙂   @Andrew Reid@Dave Maze

Personally, I haven't seen AI advance that much with most of it being super unnatural (the recently photoshop version proves it to me). For sure, "eye AF", "face detection", "HDR", "High-res modes" and others have played a VERY significant role and Panasonic could have the next AIAF for the next iteration of contrast-only AF, but those features are/would be very subtle AI at best- and it had better stay that way.

I find it amazing that PDAF is only about know which way to go- such a binary question, yet so hard to do without PDAF. You'd think they'd solved this problem by now- Panasonic went all-in on this, but I'm skeptical they'll ever get there. Focus, unlike face manipulation AI, doesn't need to be 100% perfect, but it just cannot be unnatural. For the moment, Panasonic hasn't got there yet and they keep getting close to the finish line, but other manufacturers are moving that finish line closer and closer to perfection. Interestingly enough, it would seem some companies (like Fuji) have great lenses and bodies with PDAF yet they still can't manage to get natural results- Sony, Canon, and Olympus have got it (in that order?).

With Olympus, in particular, they've got a great package (lenses, PDAF, color, 4k), but lack (for some of us) a better editable image. For me, I'm a happy hobbyist with a decent long GOP, VBR codec in 4k. Like @Andrew Reid, I like having a body capable for everything in a small package that I can take around.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, John Matthews said:

A question to both of you: Do you think Panasonic will ever have PDAF? I've heard many people say this won't happen because Sony owns the tech when it come to their sensors and won't "allow" Panasonic to have it. Personally, I think it's BS, but have you heard similar notions? Without PDAF on MFT, their future's very limited IMO for video.

I think Panasonic will jump straight into LiDAR in combination with their existing DFD technology, and I wouldn’t be surprised this is going to be introduced next year. LiDAR is free from nasty Sony patents and I have seen really impressive results utilizing this technology so far. 
DFD will remain really important for ‘understanding’ the image; LiDAR is just ‘depth information’ so they’ll work together to provide (continuous) focus.