Arri AMIRA priced to compete with Canon C500 - plus, the secret of Arri's success

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Arri AMIRA

Full information on the AMIRA can be seen at CVP

Looking at the Oscar nominations recently at EOSHD, with not a Red camera in sight, it's clear Arri are a run-away success in the filmmaking industry. Now Arri are gunning for the Canon C300 and C500 with a camera which could seriously erode the market for Cinema EOS cameras at the high end of the broadcast and single-operator videographer market. The Amira's pricing starts at 25,980 euros which puts it in the Sony F55 and Canon C500 range.

What's the secret to Arri's success?

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had a go with one yesterday (the prototype).

It's so easy to use, really light (for a cinema camera) at 4kg and caused me much joy. The look is simpky no different to Alexa, it's the same sensor.

I'm sure I'll have it on my shoulder a fair few times this year!

You can't do 4:3 with it, which is a shame, so no using this new miniature beauty:

http://www.angenieux.com/zoom-lenses/cinema-portfolio/optimo-anamorphic-56-152-mm-2s.htm

Funny how design can come full circle. The trouble is, I don't know anyone shooting the documentaries making a difference at the moment who could actually afford to film with this. It would be a dream to pop it on your shoulder, pull it up to your eye and enjoy yourself. Plenty of room to strap the radio mics on too :)

• Administrators

I had a go with one yesterday (the prototype).

It's so easy to use, really light (for a cinema camera) at 4kg and caused me much joy. The look is simpky no different to Alexa, it's the same sensor.

I'm sure I'll have it on my shoulder a fair few times this year!

You can't do 4:3 with it, which is a shame, so no using this new miniature beauty:

http://www.angenieux.com/zoom-lenses/cinema-portfolio/optimo-anamorphic-56-152-mm-2s.htm

No 4:3 mode. Arri have angered the anamorphic gods.

It's such a simple feature to add, don't know why more cameras don't do it considering the competition consists of one camera, and some hacked DSLRs.

Anamorphic is IN!

When you have got your AMIRA on your shoulder JG come to Berlin and you can use my Cooke PL lenses on it :)

It’s not about the headline specs, but the overall image

Red have always had the headline grabbing specs. 4K, 5K, and multiple new sensors. Arri don’t even have a 4K solution yet.

I think this should be the template for the aspirations of many other camera builders especially Blackmagic and Panasonic in 2014, who can use the AMIRA as a benchmark.

Amen.

Ditch the GH4K Panasonic - give us what we really want.

1. Great post.

2. Looks like a great camera.

3. It should be, for $35,000 and change. People don't buy cameras like this; they rent them.....which would still put a dent in most people's "low budget project".

.......ps, scratch the "$35,000 and change". Looks like the price in the US is starting at $39,999......

No 4:3 mode. Arri have angered the anamorphic gods.

It's such a simple feature to add, don't know why more cameras don't do it considering the competition consists of one camera, and some hacked DSLRs.

Anamorphic is IN!

When you have got your AMIRA on your shoulder JG come to Berlin and you can use my Cooke PL lenses on it :)

Ah well, it won't be mine, the company I work for, I doubt they'll let me run away to Berlin with it! ;)

hi Andrew,

Nice roundup - and great site and blog in general.

I actually came across this camera and got it into my hands c. a week ago at digital biscuit, an industry event in Dublin that Arri were exhibiting at. I hadn't heard or read anything about the AMIRA, but looking at it and the image, listening to the specs and seeing the price range, I knew that this baby was going to be a game changer. For the first time - a real replacement for the good old digibeta workhorse, with the same best-you-can-get usage ergonomics, but with added best filmic look that's currently possible, full HD resolution, no need for 100 bolt-ons and c. one third the price of what a digibeta used to be. They say "documentary" - I say "a hell of a lot of drama and commercial"  - and basically anything that is aimed at TV, high end corporate, and we're going to see it in film too.

I think the thing is going to sell like gangbusters.

Tom Hopkins

One Productions

3. It should be, for $35,000 and change. People don't buy cameras like this; they rent them.....which would still put a dent in most people's "low budget project".

Not true.  Not true at all.  I know people who have spent more than this, either individually on a RED or a group of local shooters pooling their cash to buy one and share.  This is likely to give them all serious buyer's remorse.

Rednecks spend more than this on fishing boats, hunting cabins and off-road vehicles.  Yuppies spend several times over this price for a midlife crisis sports car, a sail boat, a motor home or on vacation.  I have friends with much more than this invested in their gun collection.  A buddy of mine has spent far more than this building an airplane kit in his garage.

What's perhaps ironic is this camera at this price might be privately owned by individuals who are non-photography professionals or otherwise not in full-time employment as shooters.  Folks with six figure incomes, access to credit and looking for another expensive hobby, this one with the benefit that their purchase could eventually pay for itself by renting it out.

That is a seriously gorgeous looking lens... And for $71K it ought to have some sex appeal, right?

http://www.abelcine.com/store/Angenieux-Optimo-Anamorphic-56-152mm-2S-Lens/