New DJI Ronin RS2/RSC2 offer ToF AF function

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bummer the TOF system its not compatible with the smaller one, I prefer the folding design, quick vertical mode and the adjustable handle to go from upright to low slung modes.

I'm sure Youtubers will call it the greatest thing ever and hype the heck out of it. For now I'm fine with the smaller/lighter/cheaper Weebill S.

Chris

34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

For anyone looking to have this functionality (and a bit more) without having to buy a specific new gimbal (or any gimbal for that matter), our AFX module launches a week on Monday.

I'm absolutely not going to give the game away before then and say that it also supports manual lenses.

Absolutely not going to spoil that surprise.

what about manual lenses then?!

I hope it will be a great success. Well done.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

For anyone looking to have this functionality (and a bit more) without having to buy a specific new gimbal (or any gimbal for that matter), our AFX module launches a week on Monday.

I'm absolutely not going to give the game away before then and say that it also supports manual lenses.

That solves one of my issues with the Ronin system, since I'm not always shooting on a gimbal, or even carrying mine. I hate getting locked into closed systems like this. I'm mostly on a monopod or just handheld. Now if run-and-gun AF was possible with manual lenses and not on a Ronin...

Chris

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I hope it will be a great success. Well done.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

what about manual lenses then?!

Well.....

They were going to be supported eventually.

Maybe we've managed to put "eventually" into the microwave....

10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Now if run-and-gun AF was possible with manual lenses and not on a Ronin...

Something like that would be nice wouldn't it....

On 10/16/2020 at 4:57 AM, BTM_Pix said:

If it works well you have a customer. Keep us posted.

Have only skimmed the thread and the details on this gimbal so far but, my main question:

If you're already all rigged up holding a gimbal in your hand and with a gear motor attached to your lens:

Why would you not just use a wheel on the gimbal to manually pull focus?
Remember the whole point is you're almost certainly already holding it all in your hand. Follow focus add-on motors on the last gen (Ronin S/SC, Weebill S, Moza Aircross 2) all offer totally usable follow focus already. Why even invite the uncertainty of an autofocus system...

These gimbals look awesome though and I'm definitely feeling a hint of remorse at having recently bought a Ronin SC that I never even got to take out of the box yet 😅

Okay, I do see they've maybe highlighted a use case for hands-free focus (aka autofocus) with that bit in the promo video where it's like mounted to the outside of a car or whatever and tracking another car passing by. Pretty professional high-production-value looking use case to me though where you'd maybe just be able to run with a wireless focus puller solution instead

10 hours ago, dgvro said:

Have only skimmed the thread and the details on this gimbal so far but, my main question:

If you're already all rigged up holding a gimbal in your hand and with a gear motor attached to your lens:

Why would you not just use a wheel on the gimbal to manually pull focus?
Remember the whole point is you're almost certainly already holding it all in your hand. Follow focus add-on motors on the last gen (Ronin S/SC, Weebill S, Moza Aircross 2) all offer totally usable follow focus already. Why even invite the uncertainty of an autofocus system...

These gimbals look awesome though and I'm definitely feeling a hint of remorse at having recently bought a Ronin SC that I never even got to take out of the box yet 😅

Honestly I'm not going to buy the gimbal for this, just excited to see it because it means at some point the system will be available off of the gimbal setup. DJI should have realized how popular this feature would be and sold it as a separate device for $500. I would buy it in a heartbeat.