SAMPLES PART TWO ! Sony A7 + Bolex Anamorphic

Sebastien Farges

SAMPLES PART TWO ! Sony A7 + Novoflex adapter ring + Nikon 50mm E Serie f1.8 + Redstan clamp + Bolex System Moler 16/32/1.5X anamorphic lens

Here are more still pictures taken with my Sony A7 in anamorphic !

Tell me what you think !

Thanks for watching ! :)

Full resolution and more pictures on this Flickr album :

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjP2yEuy

some examples from it :

11774308966_d385855e0b_b.jpg

11381972194_a1a8b9334e_b.jpg

12188072506_3493a5b986_b.jpg

12187448033_106762a3eb_b.jpg

12188284334_eb6fbaeb4b_b.jpg

12188533395_8c02638c23_b.jpg

12188750115_707e06fc2a_b.jpg

Full resolution and more pictures on this Flickr album :

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjP2yEuy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great shots Sebastien, like all what you have been sharing. Btw, how do you manage to focus handheld so well ?

Thanks araucaria ! Focus is not easy, especially on full frame Sony A7, I'm used to work on M43... I can use the focus assist on the A7 while filming, which is a plus. Sometimes the technique in anamorphic is keeping the same distance between me and my focused subject in motion, in a handled traveling for example). 

Absolutely gorgeous!     I must try this some time with my A7, however, I only have the 8/19/1.5 so I imagine I'll need a pretty long taking lens.

Thanks OzNimbus :) I really don't know what lens you need with the 8/19/1.5... For the 16/32/1.5 the minimum is 50mm on FF. Maybe you'll need a 85mm, or a little less, as i do for my baby Hypergonar.

I am so Intrigued by the Sony A7 as my camera for stills but the price (1300EUR) compared to a used Mark II for 900 EUR gives me a hard time to decide. I love the RAW files of the A7 but the video-mode, as Andrew recently posted, is a major let down. 

And, Mark II would be RAW with the possibility of a correct live-view of an anamorphic setup. 
And I might be afraid the Sony is cause of its size just to small for a Helios and Isco for example... 

But I really like that compact setup Sebastian. Its really nice. How difficult is it for you to judge regarding focus? 

I am so Intrigued by the Sony A7 as my camera for stills but the price (1300EUR) compared to a used Mark II for 900 EUR gives me a hard time to decide. I love the RAW files of the A7 but the video-mode, as Andrew recently posted, is a major let down. 

And, Mark II would be RAW with the possibility of a correct live-view of an anamorphic setup. 
And I might be afraid the Sony is cause of its size just to small for a Helios and Isco for example... 

But I really like that compact setup Sebastian. Its really nice. How difficult is it for you to judge regarding focus? 

As Andrew said, I think The Mark II look like a dinosaur compare to this new generation of hybrid camera, such as the Sony A7.

I'm not so unhappy with the video mode of the Sony A7. I don't know if you watch my "One week with Sony A7 + Bolex" on my Vimeo, but the 24P mode looks good to me, despite aliasing problems... Anyway it has less problems than my OMD E-M5.

I'm shooting images with it today, with the new SLR Magic Anamorphot, stay tune, soon online! ;)

The Mark II might be a dinosaur, but its still a decent performer video- and stillswise. If the A7 would have that amazing IS of the OMD, I wouldnt think about it for one second. Its really a tough decision. The A7 would be 400EUR (!) cheaper in Tokyo but when I was there in december they had no international models yet. 

Mhhh... anyways... if that anamorphic displaying at the Mark II works and I do have a peaking that would sound like an ideal run and gun setup. Though I hate the fact that you cant tilt the screen. 

ahhh... thx sebastien for the pics. Looking good! 

The Mark II might be a dinosaur, but its still a decent performer video- and stillswise. If the A7 would have that amazing IS of the OMD, I wouldnt think about it for one second. Its really a tough decision. The A7 would be 400EUR (!) cheaper in Tokyo but when I was there in december they had no international models yet. 

Mhhh... anyways... if that anamorphic displaying at the Mark II works and I do have a peaking that would sound like an ideal run and gun setup. Though I hate the fact that you cant tilt the screen. 

ahhh... thx sebastien for the pics. Looking good! 

I've just done a movie with the A7 and the upcoming SLR Magic anamorphot lens :

Ah a talented filmmaker! There's some great stuff in here and i love the warmth and feel of the piece (beyond just how it looks). I'm still not keen on the flare but I think that's always going to be a personal preference - for me it just doesn't have a place in something that's more a drama or documentary - unless it's there to represent something. I've got a Century that does me just fine so I'll stick with that for now - but the SLR Magic is a more interesting space to watch now. Does the LA7200 still offer the possibility of a wider taking lens - if it does then perhaps all of the lenses can sit together in one bit 1.33 happy family.

Thanks Dave :) As far as I know the LA7200 goes from 17mm and the SLR 20mm... So the difference is not important.