iPhone 12 Pro Max - "ProRAW" and 5 axis IBIS

Andrew Reid

6 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I had that laptop too.  Rugged little bugger...well, at least mine held together okay. Went around the world with me a few times.  Miss it.  Was really a good balance of size/performance.  

Eventually ended up being a dedicated virtual keyboard instrument for our bubble-gum-punk-rock band.  --Dial up a keyboard emulator and go to town.  Moog, Jupiter, Hammond, Harpsicord, String Ensembles, etc.  We used that thing until 2012.  Not a bad life cycle for a laptop.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Eventually ended up being a dedicated virtual keyboard instrument for our bubble-gum-punk-rock band.  --Dial up a keyboard emulator and go to town.  Moog, Jupiter, Hammond, Harpsicord, String Ensembles, etc.  We used that thing until 2012.  Not a bad life cycle for a laptop.

I had that computer as well, I think it was my longest serving mac. I also purchased the camera top left last year haha.

18 minutes ago, tweak said:

I had that computer as well, I think it was my longest serving mac. I also purchased the camera top left last year haha.

That ibook was the G3 one as you can tell by the lettering (Apple Garamond). The G4 (I still have and use mine just for fun) had the Myriad font on it. They were great little machines... I love the fact they have a 3:4 aspect ratio screen and fairly detailed. Got mine in 2004 and it still runs fine. I just prefer Apple's concept for computing back then.

29 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Geekbench is a much better benchmark of actual application performance and the initial scores are showing a 20% improvement.

https://hothardware.com/news/iphone-12-pro-benchmark-geekbench-5-a14-bionic

What this does not show is how the Neural Engine portion of the A14 chip went from 8 cores to 16 cores, improving that aspect of the iPhone 12 performance by 80%.  There is much more to a smartphone's performance than just CPU and GPU benchmarks.

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Looks pretty good for a phone. I'm having trouble seeing any improvements over the XS or iPhone 11 though. Is this the one with the supposedly larger sensor?

The sensor has not changed although OIS has improved and lens is a bit faster.  Of course processing has made a number of improvements as well.  

It’s technological progress. All cameras today have hot chips and fishy algorithms in them too. 

The iPhones will continue to devastate consumer photo cameras, but that’s a problem for manufacturers. Regardless, pro video is currently too far ahead for too many reasons. If anything, I see this accelerating innovation and features in the pro market, and I welcome whatever makes the job easier.

I do look forward to better TikTok videos. 

On 10/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, Video Hummus said:

I actually like the IPhone 12 Mini the most. My favorite iPhone was the boxy 4S. I’m tired of paying $1200 for a huge phone. It’s a tool for me. It should slip in my pocket and disappear until I need to navigate, call, messaged, or lookup public transit times.

So glad they went back to the boxy shape and smaller size with the mini. Price is still pretty high.

I'm using the Galaxy S one or two generations behind the latest model (S9, currently). Good (very good sometimes) for mundane photos, good performance for other uses, often cheaper and MUCH better than the latest Galaxy A or simpler models.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Looks pretty good for a phone. I'm having trouble seeing any improvements over the XS or iPhone 11 though. Is this the one with the supposedly larger sensor?

No it's the 12 Pro Max that has the most improved camera and 5 axis IBIS

The 12 Pro and standard 12 are just very incremental improvements with small sensors.

• 2 weeks later...