ProRes Raw and Davinci Resolve

ajay

Since more and more cameras are now using the Atomos Ninja V to record ProRes Raw I am curious as to what is the best way to bring the footage into Davinci Resolve since it does not natively edit Pro Res Raw. How painful or painless of a process is it? I really don't want to switch NLE's. I've put way too many man hours into learning Resolve and like what I've got.

Thanks for any input.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well Apple and Blackmagic are direct RAW format competitor, so doubtful it will be supported anytime soon.  Either go Final cut or Premiere, or pick camera with BRAW?

I myself might go get Macbook with Final cut for best prores raw support, and i never used final cut ever..

46 minutes ago, ajay said:

Since more and more cameras are now using the Atomos Ninja V to record ProRes Raw I am curious as to what is the best way to bring the footage into Davinci Resolve since it does not natively edit Pro Res Raw. How painful or painless of a process is it? I really don't want to switch NLE's. I've put way too many man hours into learning Resolve and like what I've got.

Thanks for any input.

I would bet that Resolve get support for it at some point. It's quickly becoming an industry standard. 

I understand about the competition between the two companies. I'm not holding my breath for Resolve to accept the format. What I'm looking for is some kind of workflow and tool to convert ProRes Raw to something else that is lossless or close to it that Resolve can work with. I need a method and some kind of conversion software.

10 hours ago, ajay said:

I understand about the competition between the two companies. I'm not holding my breath for Resolve to accept the format. What I'm looking for is some kind of workflow and tool to convert ProRes Raw to something else that is lossless or close to it that Resolve can work with. I need a method and some kind of conversion software.

Which camera are you trying to convert? I think if your using the A7s III you can bring and convert the files in Catalyst Browse, unfortunately I can't find online examples of that.  

On 10/11/2020 at 8:34 AM, deezid said:

Atomos keeps adding a few new cameras each month. How many cameras did BMD add to their Braw-lineup?

its more about locking into an eco system than cameras for Blackmagic.

Blackmagic - BRAW/Cameras/Davinci/Fusion from shoot to edit, isn't their latest 12K camera shoot only BRAW?

RED - RED RAW and Red accessories that lock the user (less so with komodo on accessory)

Apple- Prores/FCX

Remember, they are profit driven first, not some charity!

Blackmagic is using "free" version to lure people in, once they got stuck its hard for people to move out to another NLE which I see is happening now, so either get BRAW camera or use other NLE  I am afraid.  

Thankfully Sigma FP can do both.

But yeah there is no "free" lunch whatsoever.. always a goal behind it.

You could use a free trial of Scratch to do your conversions or Telestream Switch.

Convert to a 4444 supported codec and get a lot of storage as the files will be significantly larger. 

With Adobe Premiere now supporting the raw codec, maybe media encoder will work?

2 hours ago, jgharding said:

If the S1H would just output Braw i'd go and buy a blackmagic recorder...

Format wars are so tedious

I am definitely NOT an engineer. But my understanding is that the camera's DON'T output a "flavor" of RAW. Meaning, that cameras just output RAW, and they don't output ProRes RAW nor BRAW.

But then then begs the question: If they just output "generic" RAW, why can't BlackMagic capture that generic RAW and convert it to BRAW?

^^ EDIT to above post of mine:

On the Black Magic page for BRAW, it says:

" Part of the RAW processing is moved out of software and into the camera, where it can be accelerated. "

Which I suspect means that despite it being "free" for other camera manufacturers to use, it's going to need special firmware in the camera to do that processing.

I don't know if we are allowed to link out to Blackmagic or not so I would just suggest that people google BRAW for more info.

As far as NON black magic cameras that support BRAW, apparently the EVA1 and the Canon C300 II support it, at least according to a press release I saw on diyphotography.

38 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I am definitely NOT an engineer. But my understanding is that the camera's DON'T output a "flavor" of RAW. Meaning, that cameras just output RAW, and they don't output ProRes RAW nor BRAW.

But then then begs the question: If they just output "generic" RAW, why can't BlackMagic capture that generic RAW and convert it to BRAW?

BRAW does not work that way, it has to be calibrated to each camera. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks, that seems to make BRAW a whole lot less "universal" than it was made out to be.

So for cameras that are capable of ProRes RAW, are they just outputting straight RAW then? 

No, none of these compressed RAW formats are actually RAW, they are compressed raw formats that toss out data. They all need to be designed on a camera by camera basis.