Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Actually just found it online. I notice it is all about Log footage though which mine isn't but maybe I am misunderstanding the workflow?

I downloaded the free trial and tried it but as I suspected it assume you shot in log and only has that profile in the various cameras templates it offers (which is quite extensive). I tried it anyway but it is no good on non-log profiles and worse than my manual efforts. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Sorry 😔

No worries it was worth a try.

I am wondering ow if I can get a LUT of the Cinelike D2 profile that might help but looking online all I can see are LUTs you use with the profile not a LUT of the profile.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jordan Garcia said:

I just picked up an S5 body for $900, and I'm excited to start shooting with it. I intend to focus mainly on stills, though. Does anyone have any recommendations for prime lenses I should try and get my hands on? Thanks for suggestions! 

The magic of L mount is you can literally mount any kind of lens to it with a cheap adapter. That said it really depends what kind of stuff you'll be shooting. The Lumix lenses for the S1 line are solid if you need AF. 

37 minutes ago, Jordan Garcia said:

I just picked up an S5 body for $900, and I'm excited to start shooting with it. I intend to focus mainly on stills, though. Does anyone have any recommendations for prime lenses I should try and get my hands on? Thanks for suggestions! 

If you haven't got one already - get a Helios!

2 hours ago, Jordan Garcia said:

Thank you for your replies! The helios definitely sounds like something fun to play with. Is this the type of lens adapter you were referring to @kye? Urth 

That would do.  There are lots on eBay, just get m42 (the mount of those lenses) to whatever you have.  It's a fully manual lens so just a dumb adapter is fine.  That also means you can look into any of the other m42 mount lenses, which there are many.  I'd avoid m39/l39 lenses though, as there were multiple standards and often the adapters don't work etc - I've got a couple of m39 lenses and I can't get them to work on my camera, even though I've bought multiple adapters and even modified one of them.

In terms of vintage glass I love the Pentax 50mm 1.2 

Shooting at 1.2 isn't super practical but it definitely gives a crazy interesting look. The Pentax 50mm 1.2 is the sharpest lens at that speed I have ever used at least of the vintage variety. 

I love the Minolta 35mm f1.8. It's my favorite 35mm vintage lens I have used. Very sharp and really nice lens flares and color. I wish it was adaptable to EF mount but alas your L mount will have no issue. 

In terms of super cheap 50s the Nikon pancake 1.8 is really nice. Very sharp and super cheap. 

I do love the helios 58mm as well. 

The Pentax 20mm 2.8 is the sharpest wide angle vintage lens I have ever used. Not super cheap but not super expensive. 

The Canon FD 85mm 1.8 is really nice. Low contrast but sharp, just super lovely. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

1_1_28.1.thumb.png.2ecb9a9a367e551b0e6f875cf2de24da.png1_1_21.1.thumb.png.6ce99f5f52b26f6ad316e768305c5b19.png1_1_40.1.thumb.png.a35abfbed7af16f22bc5b27004cec8b4.png1_1_32.1.thumb.png.f12ee74b20a4bde3b9afec0916e409da.pngTalking about softness with the S5, I am happy to show some images from my stay in italy at a local chestnut and wine fest (chestnuts 1 Euro, Plastic Cup of loca wine 1 Euro) which I shot with the S1 (same settings as S5) and the minolta 50mm 1.4. I focused only by hand, not perfectly, and I believe I had the ISO at 3200 even. The noise together with some extra grain & softness is quite pleasing I think. Would not throw away the footage! 😄

On 11/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, hans123 said:

Im using mc21 adapter and using 18-35mm sigma art, but the autofocus didn't work, is anyone have the problem?

CAF doesn't work with the MC21 and EF lenses for the S5. I have heard that somehow it works for the S5II, probably because they mostly ditched DFD.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, canonlyme said:

I doubt that getting soft footage with the s5 is to blame on the camera.. 

Actually yes it is, with useable CAF I would have had a far higher keeper rate which is why I am now back on the Canon train. I have heard it all, who needs AF, real shooters use MF, Hollywood cinema cameras all use MF etc....but none of that matters to me when I am shooting an event and flying a camera on a gimbal that has no AF or shooting handheld at an event or for a project.

If I had a support team and a dedicated focus puller and all of the Hollywood bells and whistles I wouldn't care about AF either; in fact I still use MF quite often even with Canon bodies for many situations such as talking heads, rack focusing, shooting through obstructions such as grass or fences where the AF will pick the wrong subject, when it is too dark, etc; I have no problems manually focusing when the situation calls for it; but having to manually focus for every shot will absolutely yield more throw aways than with a camera with useable CAF unless you have a dedicated focus puller, or something else contributing to your success (wider lens, simpler scenes, more time to prepare, etc.)

On 2/26/2023 at 7:17 AM, canonlyme said:

1_1_28.1.thumb.png.2ecb9a9a367e551b0e6f875cf2de24da.png1_1_21.1.thumb.png.6ce99f5f52b26f6ad316e768305c5b19.png1_1_40.1.thumb.png.a35abfbed7af16f22bc5b27004cec8b4.png1_1_32.1.thumb.png.f12ee74b20a4bde3b9afec0916e409da.pngTalking about softness with the S5, I am happy to show some images from my stay in italy at a local chestnut and wine fest (chestnuts 1 Euro, Plastic Cup of loca wine 1 Euro) which I shot with the S1 (same settings as S5) and the minolta 50mm 1.4. I focused only by hand, not perfectly, and I believe I had the ISO at 3200 even. The noise together with some extra grain & softness is quite pleasing I think. Would not throw away the footage! 😄

It is easy to cherry pick specific instances where MF looks fine, and when you have the time to properly block a scene and dial in the focus or repeat a scene then that's all good and well, especially if you are shooting as a hobbyist where no one cares about the footage you didn't get; in fact I have plenty of tack sharp footage in many projects that were shot with MF, but try MF shooting even one of my events and you will encounter a much different story.

My typical event has a shotlist that is multiple pages (vendors, VIPs, activities, talking heads, etc.), I am shooting photos and video, going from indoors to outdoors and back, working with the audience or attendees who will only stand still for a few seconds for a picture, and maybe a few seconds more for a quick video clip, and all the while everyone and nearly everything is in motion, and that is all handheld, I haven't even started talking about shooting on a gimbal yet; and yes I did it for years with the GH5 and S5; but at the end of the day it was completely exhausting and limiting to always have to work within the limitations of MF, to never know if a shot was sharp until reviewing it later, etc. 

So yes, it is my opinion that in 2023 if your keeper rate is low due to lack of useable CAF then it is absolutely the camera's fault. MF is great and even necessary for many scenarios, but when shooting as a OMB so is AF. Both have strengths and weaknesses and there is nothing wrong with having the option to use AF when that particular shot can be better served by AF allowing you to focus on other things (no pun intended).