Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

5 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

The only thing I'm afraid of is low noise performance in any mode except the fine 4k (that has potential overheating).
Since line skipping or crop mode will effectively only use a 2,9x 'crop portion' of the sensor (line skipping doesn't have a crop, but only uses as much lines as the crop mode does).

So in that regard the low noise of M43 2x crop might even be better than the R7 modes that have a 2,9x crop.

True, I think a lot of testing will be needed to see how it performs in the real world. If it had dual native ISO like the S5 it would definitely put it on par with the S5. From what I have seen of the R7, I would also say the S5's body is definitely higher quality materials. Seems like everything is going to plastic these days.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What have you seen?

All I have seen is one highly speculative rumor from an absolute nobody that sounded more like his personal wishlist on that utterly trash L Mount Rumors site 🤪

But if there is something more substantial, I’d be interested…

Yep, that's the same rumor...

"According to foreign news sources", ie, absolutely no one, - this 'news' was something lifted off a rumors site and is doing the rounds.

And anyway, what's "and supports 16:9 Billy 4.8K60P video"?

And what's this 15mp sensor? Sounds a bit of a weird size to me and they can forget all photo credibility if they wish to market anything like that as a genuine hybrid. Half the size of a new 30mp if anything?

Not because 15mp is not enough for stills for most people most of the time, myself included, but because for marketing purposes, if you are not at least even competitive...

A 15mp sensor coupled with DFD AF smells like disaster to me...

But I doubt the credibility of this rumor anyway and it's far from being credible.

I do believe they are working on something, but until anything comes from a reliable source or is official, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

I'm all for any successor to the S5 or S1 line. In fact, I am waiting on it because until anything is confirmed (and it ticks my boxes), I am both sticking with what I am already using and have no concrete plans to switch to any other system. Thought right now, I can make arguments for; Fuji, Canon and Sony...

Thinking about it seriously there are a few things Panasonic will need to do to keep me with them (S5H or S1H2).

Improve AF drastically. It doesn't need to be the best in the world but it needs to be reliable not like it is now where it can have a mind of it's own.

Punch in to check focus whilst recording.

No crop 4-5K at 25, 50 and 100 all in 10bit. If they could stretch to 6K that'd be even better.

No time limit.

EVF must be the one on the S1 not the S5.

Screen should be the same as the GH6 with flexi-postion thingy.

Prores on SDs would be great.

Lock or change shutter speed wheel.

They have got just about everything else right.

All of that @Thpriest

But if anything, my wishes are even more simple:

S1H body, just shrunk 10%.

Reliable tracking AF. DFD or phase, I don’t care, as long as it works.

30mp full frame sensor for my stills needs.

Done.

The S5 itself though has too many ergo, function and haptic flaws for me, ie, I personally do not consider it pro grade whereas my S1H and S1R most definitely are.

I have the S1 and the S5. Both have slightly different ergonomics and functions. I'd say the S1 is better in general although I haven't managed to get the joystick to work as "magnify for focus" like I have it on the S5. The S5 is quicker for checking focus before recording.

Recently the S1 has being doing some weird stuff with the "focus magnify". The box always heads down to the bottom of the screen as if the joystick is stuck but it only happens in this function. I'm not happy about this and will need to get it checked. Saying that I have just started using a monitor and I have to say, other than the clunkiness, I'm enjoying being able to focus on the big screen.

2 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Recently the S1 has being doing some weird stuff with the "focus magnify". The box always heads down to the bottom of the screen as if the joystick is stuck but it only happens in this function. I'm not happy about this and will need to get it checked. Saying that I have just started using a monitor and I have to say, other than the clunkiness, I'm enjoying being able to focus on the big screen.

Are you sure you're not accidentally touching the screen with your nose when using the EVF causing the focus point to jump? I always had that issue with my S1 until I switched the touch screen off.

On a completely separate matter, can anyone tell me how the S1/S5 records it's 1080p mode? Is it pixel binned/line skipped or a mixture of both? Often noticed a fair bit of moire in the HD files.

1 hour ago, Framed_By_Dan said:

Are you sure you're not accidentally touching the screen with your nose when using the EVF causing the focus point to jump? I always had that issue with my S1 until I switched the touch screen off.

At first I thought it was that but  it happens when I hold the camera away from my body as well. I will have to test when it happens.

HELP !!

Hi all,

I recently acquired an S5, and have been using the Pana 20-60mm and the Sigma 45mm, plus some non L mount lenses, on manual of course. Very pleased.

I have now just received the Pana S 24-105mm.

PROBLEM The camera resolutely stays stuck on MF (MF sign at top centre of rear display). I can get AF to work « one off » by using the rear AF ON button.   But despite looking through camera menu items at great length, I just can’t get AF. The switch on the lens itself is set to AF. The rear button on the camera near the VF is set to S, not MF.

Any suggestions ?!

So both camera and lens are set to MF?

If so, can’t think of anything except the lens is stuck in MF internally.

And changing the subject, vindicated once again in my loathing for flip out side screens as the one on my S5 is now still working but partially hanging off after a bump.

Did this with an XT2 and XT3 so third body to have been damaged so.

I hate flip out side screens with a passion…