Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

9 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

There was a question upthread about a USB power block for the S5 and though I don't need it for that, something like it would be very useful for my battery hungry Tascam DR-70D. I have looked into a 10,000 mAh Anker job at £35 which I think will do the job fine but the issue is how to mount it with other things I already have to deal with. In many ways it would ideally go sort of attached to the front of the Tascam or even under it, next to the tripod mount, but beyond resorting to superglue, I cannot think of any way to do this. What I don't need is any more arms or brackets or whatever as I have nowhere for them to go without things getting silly (and I go handheld quite a bit). Any ideas? The Anker is small (about the size of a playing card) and light (180g)

Velcro i.e. the self-adhesive hook/loop tape version - one side stuck to the Tascam, the other on the powerbank, or maybe velcro cable ties?

If it's mobile phone shaped, then there are phone holders for cars and tripods that might be usable?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Velcro i.e. the self-adhesive hook/loop tape version - one side stuck to the Tascam, the other on the powerbank, or maybe velcro cable ties?

If it's mobile phone shaped, then there are phone holders for cars and tripods that might be usable?

I feel nervous about using glue on the hardware! Velcro straps might work. I have looked at holders but the problem I have is what to attach one to as I already have a couple of mics (on a bar) and a wireless receiver on top of the camera (and the Tascam below)

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I feel nervous about using glue on the hardware!

The only problem I can think of is if you come to sell the Tascam removing the Velco tape might leave some marks on the base (assuming that's where the powerbank might go) if you are unlucky or careless.

If the base of the Tascam is steel (but it might not be - check with a magnet) then you could put self-adhesive magnetic pads or tape on the power bank and attach it magnetically.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I have looked at holders but the problem I have is what to attach one to as I already have a couple of mics (on a bar) and a wireless receiver on top of the camera (and the Tascam below)

Put a cage on/around the S5 to give you more attachment points (or even just an L-backet) maybe?

2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The only problem I can think of is if you come to sell the Tascam removing the Velco tape might leave some marks on the base (assuming that's where the powerbank might go) if you are unlucky or careless.

If the base of the Tascam is steel (but it might not be - check with a magnet) then you could put self-adhesive magnetic pads or tape on the power bank and attach it magnetically.

Put a cage on/around the S5 to give you more attachment points (or even just an L-backet) maybe?

Ah yes, stick-on velcro might well do it, good suggestion (and I just saw some in Rymans' stationers)

Stick on Velcro pads are great.

I have a sheet of the things in my camera bag.

Latest use is controlling the aperture ring on my cine lens because for handheld stuff, I identified it within the first 2 minutes of use as going to be a PITA.

It’s not the last word in strength but ideal for stuff that is not going to be knocked but you might wish to assemble/disassemble quickly.

Worth a try anyway.

On 5/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, PannySVHS said:

So how do you approach sound? I imagine that to be the hardest thing to do. @MrSMW Would love to see your rigs for the S1H and the S5!

Well you now can...for the S1H at least, - just added a post and pic to the 'Looking Pro' thread.

The S5 I have switched the lens out from being the Panny 24-105mm f4 for the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8

F4 is just a bit slooooooooooooow for my tastes, especially when the light levels get low.

It's been relegated to pure landscape/wet weather/backup lens now. Good lens, just a bit too big and heavy for my tastes, plus I am not a fan of zooms anyway, especially externally extending ones.

I shoot S35 crop mode so that Sigma is long enough for my needs and is like a 42-105 which is ideal for my requirements.

My Leica TL2 adventure didn't last too long... The LCD began to fail on only it's second shoot so it's gone back and I've done what I should have done in the first place and gone for a second S1R.

I think I have enough cameras and lenses now 🤪

In fact, there isn't anything that doesn't get used on any job...

S1H + 50mm cine lens or 20mm f2 Sigma for dancing.

S1R + 20mm f2 (daytime) or 35mm f2 Sigmas.

S1R + 65mm f2 

S5 + 28-70mm f2.8 Sigma

Panny 24-105 is my spare/backup lens.

Sony ZV1 backup video camera.

Panny 20-60mm going on ebay as is my gimbal and DJI Action 2.

The lens is of zero use to me now, even as a backup. I hate the gimbal with a passion and I have decided the Action 2 like all previous such type cameras, just isn't for me and instead, I simply need to update my iPhone 8.

10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well you now can...for the S1H at least, - just added a post and pic to the 'Looking Pro' thread.

The S5 I have switched the lens out from being the Panny 24-105mm f4 for the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8

F4 is just a bit slooooooooooooow for my tastes, especially when the light levels get low.

It's been relegated to pure landscape/wet weather/backup lens now. Good lens, just a bit too big and heavy for my tastes, plus I am not a fan of zooms anyway, especially externally extending ones.

I shoot S35 crop mode so that Sigma is long enough for my needs and is like a 42-105 which is ideal for my requirements.

My Leica TL2 adventure didn't last too long... The LCD began to fail on only it's second shoot so it's gone back and I've done what I should have done in the first place and gone for a second S1R.

I think I have enough cameras and lenses now 🤪

In fact, there isn't anything that doesn't get used on any job...

S1H + 50mm cine lens or 20mm f2 Sigma for dancing.

S1R + 20mm f2 (daytime) or 35mm f2 Sigmas.

S1R + 65mm f2 

S5 + 28-70mm f2.8 Sigma

Panny 24-105 is my spare/backup lens.

Sony ZV1 backup video camera.

Panny 20-60mm going on ebay as is my gimbal and DJI Action 2.

The lens is of zero use to me now, even as a backup. I hate the gimbal with a passion and I have decided the Action 2 like all previous such type cameras, just isn't for me and instead, I simply need to update my iPhone 8.

Sounds like a very competent kit. I am also cool doing away with gimbals for weddings. IBIS gives you enough creativity and you can actually get quicker more precise shots than on a gimbal. Of course you lose the ability to do those super smooth tracking shots but who really needs that. I definitely got some of my best wedding work shot on the S1 plus a 35mm or 50mm.

I just can’t get on with it Tom.

If I ONLY shot video, then maybe, but the reality is it’s one step too far forward me so after my third attempt, I am abandoning it.

Same as action cams. I think I’m just going to pick up the latest Iphone mini with a zoom lens as this will suit my needs far better.

1 hour ago, TomTheDP said:

Sounds like a very competent kit.

I've wrestled with it for over 2 years but finally believe I have come up with the best option for me.

Just to recap and for anyone that doesn't know, I sold off all my Fuji based kit at the end of the 2019 wedding season and intended to start afresh because what I had did not completely gel and there were too many compromises and workarounds.

The new kit in the Spring of 2020 could have been anything but when we got close, an XT4 based system was the winner.

But then Covid hit and my order was cancelled.

The entire season passed with just 1 event attended and I bought and then promptly sold some familiar XT3 kit to do the job.

Then the S5 came out and it looked like the best available option for me.

Tested over the Winter and liked it enough. Some niggles, primarily the flip out screen (hate the things and would have been the major compromise on the XT4) and the non-dampened shutter.

Had to go with something for the start of the 2021 season...but that then also never happened other than a short 5 week, 5 job window at the very end of the season and by then, had picked up a used S1H and right at the very end, a used S1R at a stupidly cheap price of 1600 euros mint.

Since then, it's been a case of trying to find the right glass and combos of making the kit work for my specific needs and the first few weddings of this season, I have been juggling but never been totally happy.

The last job I did, the 6th of 33 booked in for this year, I came closest with the Leica TL2 on it's second outing and I really liked it but for the niggles of; not having a tilt screen, shutter is a little louder than I'd like and the colour doesn't match my S1R.

When the LCD began to fail on the second outing, the answer was very easy, - just find another stupidly cheap S1R.

The thing is with the S1R, yes people say they are big and heavy but actually it feels ridiculously light when switching to it after shooting my 'cine rig'. Ridiculously light. And I can shoot it in crop mode and still get results around 24mp so it's like every prime lens is two prime lenses.

And that's it now for the remaining 27 jobs I have for this year. I wish it had not taken the last 6 jobs to work it out but that is weddings and the near unique nature of what I do and that is there is no handbook or any amount of testing that can be done that is not actual real weddings.

I'd still rather have super-reliable AF and ideally, smaller and lighter, but the reality is that for me, right now, ALL factors considered, there isn't a better combo out there other than what I now have.

I am super-confident and happy with it. Everything now has it's specific purpose and works in harmony with the other pieces of the puzzle.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:01 AM, PannySVHS said:

So how do you approach sound? I imagine that to be the hardest thing to do. @MrSMW Would love to see your rigs for the S1H and the S5!

The Panasonic L Mount mirrorless cameras are compatible with the GH5's Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR microphone adapter as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well for me the S5's time has finally passed. The lack of useable AF for the type of work that I do finally became too much to deal with. The Canon C70 has managed to meet and exceed my expectations in every possible video related area. Its AF is certainly not perfect either, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the S5 and GH5 not to mention the integrated XLR inputs and internal ND filters has helped me set up and tear down faster than any previous camera I have owned.

For my fast moving run and gun type event work I gave up IBIS just to gain useable AF and so today I am getting rid of my C200, both S5's, and the GH5 since I haven't even turned on any of them since getting the C70. I have now shot multiple events and projects with the C70 and it has performed nearly flawlessly every time (hint: AF is terrible in lowlight/backlit scenarios). 

I still think if you can use MF for your work or if the AF is good enough for the type of projects that you shoot, the S5 is without a doubt the best hybrid photo/video camera out there for the price and offers the best of both photography and video, even audio is great with the XLR adapter, but for me the C70 is without a doubt a better fit. I still think the S5's greatest niche would be as a travel / mini doc hybrid photo/video camera.

With the S5 I was simply throwing away too much soft footage and it was always stressful trying to ensure people at events were in focus or that I at least managed to capture the peak action moment in focus.  Even simple handheld interviews I found myself using ISO4000 all the time just to increase the F stop to try to keep people in focus or I would use a wider lens. In the end I found myself making too many compromises and putting in too much extra effort just to keep the subjects in focus.

Surprisingly, at least to me, I still find the VLOG out of the S5 about even or maybe even slightly better than the CLOG2 I am getting with the C70 when it comes to dynamic range and colors. I know Canon's colors are legendary, and the C70's DGO sensor is supposed to be the best you can get below $10K at the moment, but there's something about the image quality out of the S5 with the Sigma 50mm and VLOG that I can't quite match with the C70.  I probably just haven't found the right CLOG2 to Rec709 LUT yet, but with the S5's VLOG I could grade it by hand without a LUT and get better results.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

Well for me the S5's time has finally passed. The lack of useable AF for the type of work that I do finally became too much to deal with. The Canon C70 has managed to meet and exceed my expectations in every possible video related area. Its AF is certainly not perfect either, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the S5 and GH5 not to mention the integrated XLR inputs and internal ND filters has helped me set up and tear down faster than any previous camera I have owned.

For my fast moving run and gun type event work I gave up IBIS just to gain useable AF and so today I am getting rid of my C200, both S5's, and the GH5 since I haven't even turned on any of them since getting the C70. I have now shot multiple events and projects with the C70 and it has performed nearly flawlessly every time (hint: AF is terrible in lowlight/backlit scenarios). 

I still think if you can use MF for your work or if the AF is good enough for the type of projects that you shoot, the S5 is without a doubt the best hybrid photo/video camera out there for the price and offers the best of both photography and video, even audio is great with the XLR adapter, but for me the C70 is without a doubt a better fit. I still think the S5's greatest niche would be as a travel / mini doc hybrid photo/video camera.

With the S5 I was simply throwing away too much soft footage and it was always stressful trying to ensure people at events were in focus or that I at least managed to capture the peak action moment in focus.  Even simple handheld interviews I found myself using ISO4000 all the time just to increase the F stop to try to keep people in focus or I would use a wider lens. In the end I found myself making too many compromises and putting in too much extra effort just to keep the subjects in focus.

Surprisingly, at least to me, I still find the VLOG out of the S5 about even or maybe even slightly better than the CLOG2 I am getting with the C70 when it comes to dynamic range and colors. I know Canon's colors are legendary, and the C70's DGO sensor is supposed to be the best you can get below $10K at the moment, but there's something about the image quality out of the S5 with the Sigma 50mm and VLOG that I can't quite match with the C70.  I probably just haven't found the right CLOG2 to Rec709 LUT yet, but with the S5's VLOG I could grade it by hand without a LUT and get better results.

Yeah the C70 sensor is a tad overrated. I'd rather have the R5C, but than you lose ND's. The C70 is definitely a good all around camera.

22 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah the C70 sensor is a tad overrated. I'd rather have the R5C, but than you lose ND's. The C70 is definitely a good all around camera.

From everything I have read the R5C is practically unusable for both photos and video due to horrendous battery life.  I wanted to like the R5C, I delayed my C70 purchase to give the R5C some more thought, but with no IBIS, the terrible battery life, and worse DR than the C70 or the S5 I decided to once and for all give up on trying to get the perfect hybrid camera. Also, the XLR adapter for the R5C came with its own long list of compromises and high price tag.

Funny enough, if the R7 does not overheat, the R7 with FF lenses might actually be the perfect hybrid camera; to me it is very similar to the S5 but with way better AF but lacking all of the excellent S5 video assist tools.

So after it is all said and done, I guess I went full circle and am now officially a Canon fanboy again. I am using the money from selling all of my gear to buy an R5 for photography and as a quick B-cam for the C70 and the C70 is my A-cam for all video work.

44 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

From everything I have read the R5C is practically unusable for both photos and video due to horrendous battery life.  I wanted to like the R5C, I delayed my C70 purchase to give the R5C some more thought, but with no IBIS, the terrible battery life, and worse DR than the C70 or the S5 I decided to once and for all give up on trying to get the perfect hybrid camera. Also, the XLR adapter for the R5C came with its own long list of compromises and high price tag.

Funny enough, if the R7 does not overheat, the R7 with FF lenses might actually be the perfect hybrid camera; to me it is very similar to the S5 but with way better AF but lacking all of the excellent S5 video assist tools.

So after it is all said and done, I guess I went full circle and am now officially a Canon fanboy again. I am using the money from selling all of my gear to buy an R5 for photography and as a quick B-cam for the C70 and the C70 is my A-cam for all video work.

I have heard the R5C has good dynamic range with CLOG2

5 hours ago, herein2020 said:

am using the money from selling all of my gear to buy an R5 for photography and as a quick B-cam for the C70 and the C70 is my A-cam for all video work.

Pretty solid option I’d say.

For my needs, I have a requirement for 3 cameras so I’d probably go a pair of R6’s over the single C70…for my needs, but this would be my non-Lumix option right now.

Not that I am switching myself. The S5 I could, but the S1H and S1R are too good!

Every camera in my price range has a limitation that I wish wasn't there. It just so happens that the S5's limitations are the ones I can live with the most. Same with the GH5. 

I don't think getting rid of your Lumix cameras and going with a Canon set up makes you a Canon fanboy. I think it just means you're making the best choice based on your situation and needs. 

The funny thing for me is that out of everyone it might be Olympus that checks the most boxes for me right now. I'm just in no position to purchase 2 (or 3) OM-1 bodies even if they weren't backordered. Strange times, though! 

9 hours ago, herein2020 said:

And Viltrox already has a speedbooster for it to use your fullframe EF lenses (originally designed for the crop R and C70)

On 6/7/2022 at 1:09 AM, herein2020 said:

Funny, I'm almost in the exact same boat as you (C200, S5) and am switching to Sony for the same reason. I need reliable AF. I've had too many shoots recently where I have limited time with talent and have had to shoot gimbal sequences. Even with a shinobi mounted to the gimbal I'm never 100% sure I'm in focus and that's not good enough really, especially if you only have one chance at the shot.

11 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Every camera in my price range has a limitation that I wish wasn't there. It just so happens that the S5's limitations are the ones I can live with the most. Same with the GH5. 

I don't think getting rid of your Lumix cameras and going with a Canon set up makes you a Canon fanboy. I think it just means you're making the best choice based on your situation and needs. 

The funny thing for me is that out of everyone it might be Olympus that checks the most boxes for me right now. I'm just in no position to purchase 2 (or 3) OM-1 bodies even if they weren't backordered. Strange times, though! 

I haven't read much about the R7, but with the R7 and possibly the speedbooster that @Avenger 2.0 mentioned, the R7 could actually be the perfect camera for your needs. From what I have read about the R7 it is going to be a real video and photography powerhouse (32MP sensor, R3's AF capabilities, 7 stops of IBIS, no 30min video record limit, 7K oversampled 4K, dual card slots, etc), I might even get one and use it as a dedicated C70 b-cam at some point; of course paper specs mean nothing, overheating, DR, ISO performance, etc will determine if it is all paper specs or real specs.

It is almost comical to me, Canon created the R5C a monstrosity that no one asked for (8K video, two complete operating systems, huge bulky fan, etc), when all we have ever asked for is clean useable 4K, dual card slots, great AF, their usual list of photography features......all of which they put into the R7.

8 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Funny, I'm almost in the exact same boat as you (C200, S5) and am switching to Sony for the same reason. I need reliable AF. I've had too many shoots recently where I have limited time with talent and have had to shoot gimbal sequences. Even with a shinobi mounted to the gimbal I'm never 100% sure I'm in focus and that's not good enough really, especially if you only have one chance at the shot.

Exactly, I should be able to focus on things like lighting, composition, audio, the gimbal work, etc....not constantly hoping the footage is in focus. All of the gimbal follow focus systems I have seen looked clunky at best to me, the only thing that makes sense for my type of work is useable in body AF and the S5 just couldn't deliver that.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:51 PM, herein2020 said:

I haven't read much about the R7, but with the R7 and possibly the speedbooster that @Avenger 2.0 mentioned, the R7 could actually be the perfect camera for your needs. From what I have read about the R7 it is going to be a real video and photography powerhouse (32MP sensor, R3's AF capabilities, 7 stops of IBIS, no 30min video record limit, 7K oversampled 4K, dual card slots, etc), I might even get one and use it as a dedicated C70 b-cam at some point; of course paper specs mean nothing, overheating, DR, ISO performance, etc will determine if it is all paper specs or real specs.

The only thing I'm afraid of is low noise performance in any mode except the fine 4k (that has potential overheating).
Since line skipping or crop mode will effectively only use a 2,9x 'crop portion' of the sensor (line skipping doesn't have a crop, but only uses as much lines as the crop mode does).

So in that regard the low noise of M43 2x crop might even be better than the R7 modes that have a 2,9x crop.