Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, sandro said:

Does anyone know why when I shoot in V-Log th color space is bt.709 and not the wider V-Gamut as it should? I see that info from apps like mediainfo and mpc-hc media player.

The regular metadata tags containing the colorspace indeed indicates it is a rec709 recording. I suspect vlog isn't allowed or known as a color space for that tag. It ensures all players will at least play it back. Mediainfo also shows a blurb of vendor specific data containing the text vlog and vgamut and some additional readable text. It seems all sorts of metadata is put into the video stream, but it's format is specific for Panasonic and most software is unfamiliar with it's format. However. If you set up your nle correctly and explicitly specify vlog-vgamut as the input format, all colors fall into place. In particular when using an aces workflow.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:48 AM, PannySVHS said:

Gh5 is using rec709 or at least a smaller color space than V Gamut is. I find it easier to grade for shots under natural light.

The S line is using full Vlog and V Gamut. Varicam still has a different response and a very impressive image with its S35 Varicam sensor.

Wasn't the image quality the main selling point of the EVA1 when it came out? (And the cheaper price compared to the Varicam.)

Meaning, wasn't the reason someone would get an EVA1 instead of, say, a Sony FS camera or a Canon C camera was for the image quality? (Not saying the EVA1 was better than those lines, but I guess some people really wnated the Varicam look in a cheaper package.)

@Mark Romero 2
Yes, indeed. It is a different sensor though. Watching test videos shows that Varicam holds onto colors much better in lowlight than eva. It also offers 444 video in hd and 2k. I imagine the eva 1 being to varicam what a gh5 is to eva. All three great cams, but Varicam being a fantastic true pro tool for cinema production with an image up there with an Alexa and Red.

4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@Mark Romero 2
Yes, indeed. It is a different sensor though. Watching test videos shows that Varicam holds onto colors much better in lowlight than eva. It also offers 444 video in hd and 2k. I imagine the eva 1 being to varicam what a gh5 is to eva. All three great cams, but Varicam being a fantastic true pro tool for cinema production with an image up there with an Alexa and Red.

Thank you for the elaboration!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have suggestions for a follow focus or something / anything else to help with manual focus, either when shooting on my Weebill S gimbal or when hand holding?

I can do manual focus pulls "ok" (better than the AF-C can do them), but then the camera gets shakey because I am supporting the weight of the body with only my right hand and using the left to focus.

And I have noticed that when shooting with my S1 in 6K mode, the stabilization isn't as effective. 

Saw a video by Paul Byun where he suggested using a nucleus nano on a weebills s, but that looks like you would really make it even harder to keep the gimbal and camera free of shaking.

Anyone have any success with either plugging the gimbal directly into the camera body and using the wheel on the side of the gimbal to pull focus? or by mounting the available motor to the gimbal and using it to pull focus?

Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Does anyone have suggestions for a follow focus or something / anything else to help with manual focus, either when shooting on my Weebill S gimbal or when hand holding?

I can do manual focus pulls "ok" (better than the AF-C can do them), but then the camera gets shakey because I am supporting the weight of the body with only my right hand and using the left to focus.

And I have noticed that when shooting with my S1 in 6K mode, the stabilization isn't as effective. 

Saw a video by Paul Byun where he suggested using a nucleus nano on a weebills s, but that looks like you would really make it even harder to keep the gimbal and camera free of shaking.

Anyone have any success with either plugging the gimbal directly into the camera body and using the wheel on the side of the gimbal to pull focus? or by mounting the available motor to the gimbal and using it to pull focus?

Thanks in advance.

You noticed the IBIS is less effective in 6K open gate or 5,9K ?

The IBIS in 5,9K is fantastic. So good you can simulate slider shots in post.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:05 AM, Thpriest said:

Can anyone recommend a power bank that works well with the S5? I have one that I use for camping trips but it doesn't work consistently with the S5 as you have to turn it on and it has various functions and the S5 thinks it's a PC half the time!

I use a V-Mount battery into a USB-A to USB-C cable, it works fantastic, I can shoot 6hr events without having to worry about the battery. Below is a picture of my long form setup. Click here for my other setups and parts list.

S5-Setup4.thumb.jpg.279958f55e59d6eb04d7ef56adcf0876.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks in advance.

I have given up on any kind of focus pulling on a gimbal, I just shoot with the deepest DOF I can get away with, use hybrid AF to get initial focus then try to keep the camera to subject distance within the focal plane. For real estate its easy since you can use wide angle lenses, for people its a different story. I've had plenty of takes ruined because of soft footage as the distance changed too much during the take.

12 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I use a V-Mount battery into a USB-A to USB-C cable, it works fantastic, I can shoot 6hr events without having to worry about the battery. Below is a picture of my long form setup. Click here for my other setups and parts list.

Thanks but I'm really looking for a simple USB charger/powerbank as the V-mount system is too costly at present. I just need to find a trustworthy powerbank that doesn't make my camera think it is a PC!

C

and thanks, I hope so!

33 couples booked in with an average 2 days coverage each mostly and away 60+ nights during the Summer.

So as long as there are no new super-variants, Russia doesn’t invade Ukraine or aliens invade, it should be a good creative year.

That’s been the worst part for me, the near stagnation of creativity for 2 years.

Yes I could go shoot other things, but the reality is I have little to no interest in shooting ‘other things’ so that would just be forced and doing something for the sake of it.

No, I need to be back in my proper saddle again, have a good, (if stupidly busy) year and then next year settle back into my normal routine of max 24 jobs per annum.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

C

and thanks, I hope so!

33 couples booked in with an average 2 days coverage each mostly and away 60+ nights during the Summer.

So as long as there are no new super-variants, Russia doesn’t invade Ukraine or aliens invade, it should be a good creative year.

That’s been the worst part for me, the near stagnation of creativity for 2 years.

Yes I could go shoot other things, but the reality is I have little to no interest in shooting ‘other things’ so that would just be forced and doing something for the sake of it.

No, I need to be back in my proper saddle again, have a good, (if stupidly busy) year and then next year settle back into my normal routine of max 24 jobs per annum.

That is awesome to hear, I would probably have more gear as well if I had the amazing venues that you have to work with and that many weddings. In fact, I would probably actually shoot wedding videography if business was that good where I live.

10 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I would probably have more gear as well if I had the amazing venues that you have to work with and that many weddings.

I have the same access as any/everyone...

It used to be (6 years ago), I lived in the UK and travelled to Europe or beyond.

These days I live in France and mostly get booked for France, but do still get jobs outside of such as this year, I have clients for weddings in Germany and Switzerland.

I only have enough gear to do the job, nothing surplus.

Actually, having said that, I do have a Sigma 45mm f2.8 I received for free when I bought the S5. I have used it a couple of times but it just does not fit in with anything now I have finalised my 2022 kit.

I also have Panny's own 85mm f1.8 and again, have used it, but it doesn't fit it in anywhere. Currently, I am keeping it for the few times I get stuck at the back of a church and need something longer than the 65mm f2. I may switch this out for the Sigma 90mm f2 at some point just to keep the consistency of an all Sigma lens lineup.

I just need this season to get going in early April so I can actually crack on with everything I had planned back in 2019!

2018 was the first year I felt I had really cracked hybrid coverage, but still had a huge amount of refinement and polishing to do.

I thought I'd cracked that in the 2019 season, but ended up somewhat frustrated when I realised I was still well short in so many areas.

2020 was going to be 'The Year', but it turned out to be 'The Year That Wasn't' apart from one solitary, compromised wedding.

2021... Nah, really limited and just could not get any momentum.

2022 is going to be the year 😉

On 1/23/2022 at 5:25 PM, herein2020 said:

I have given up on any kind of focus pulling on a gimbal, I just shoot with the deepest DOF I can get away with, use hybrid AF to get initial focus then try to keep the camera to subject distance within the focal plane. For real estate its easy since you can use wide angle lenses, for people its a different story. I've had plenty of takes ruined because of soft footage as the distance changed too much during the take.

Thank you for the reply. 

Yeah, I am thinking of getting back in to shooting weddings / events if, you know, the plague ever ends. So having consistent AF performance is going to become a priority moving forward.

4 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thank you for the reply. 

Yeah, I am thinking of getting back in to shooting weddings / events if, you know, the plague ever ends. So having consistent AF performance is going to become a priority moving forward.

Well you know the best answer to that right now is the R5C.....IF you can hand hold without IBIS which for me remains to be seen. Of course there's always the Sony camp as well. 

I don't think you will find a good solution with any Panasonic camera. I do make mine work with people though, I've shot weddings and plenty of events with my S5.......you just have to be prepared to throw away whatever you can't keep in focus.

10 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I don't think you will find a good solution with any Panasonic camera. I do make mine work with people though, I've shot weddings and plenty of events with my S5.......you just have to be prepared to throw away whatever you can't keep in focus.

I think if you are a dedicated videographer, it shouldn't be a problem...

I shoot hybrid so I am not a dedicated videographer.

All day long I am flicking between shooting stills, lowering that camera and popping up the second one to capture the same scene with video handheld.

Sometimes, I need to do both at the same time such as: entrances, exits, confetti, vows/ring exchange/first kiss and in that case, the freestanding monopod directly in front of me comes into play so I can shoot stills while the video is doing it's own thing. Except vows/rings where I can lock focus.

It's then that reliable AF is required and with the system, it mostly is OK providing the subjects are not moving too fast.

And then there is full ceremony and full speeches coverage but that one is easy. Tripod, slightly wider angle than is needed (can always punch in with 4k) and focus locked off.

It's really (for me anyway) those entrances/exits/confetti times when I need the reliable AF and the total of these parts of the day are around 2 minutes without vows/rings and not much more because focus can be locked for vows/rings.

I can...and do, pop the ZV1 onto the S5 hotshoe as backup at these times as the tracking is excellent and though I don't really want to mix that footage in with the Panasonic S1H/S5 principal footage, for the sake of backup + a 10 second fiddle to pop on the ZV1, why not?

For 2022, I've picked up a gimbal, so that might be 'interesting'...

I don't intend to use it too much and will be getting some practice in over the next 8 weeks until my season starts, but as my S5 was relegated to the static video role only, I decided maybe I could use it a bit more so got myself a stormtrooper white Zhiyun Crane M3.

I put a QR plate on the bottom instead of the standard tiny tripod thing so if it's not in the hand, it's sitting on a proper full size (but still lightweight) tripod. The whole lot; tripod, gimbal, camera & lens, weighs under 3kg so it's really light weight to shift about.

It will be interesting to see how the AF stacks up though...

I can't see myself using it outside of the drinks reception and the couple session and it's primarily for the latter I decided to get and try one. A few minor gentle push in or pull outs I'll just rely on my ninja moves with the S1H and IBIS, but it's any bigger movements where that doesn't work so well. Might try it (the gimbal) on the dancefloor also. Just need to get a bit more dynamism into some of my shooting some of the day...

I have bought a gimbal twice before. And twice sent it back after setting it up. Too big, too heavy, too unwieldy/awkward.

This new set up though I feel...at least ergonomically and from a size & weight POV, is OK.

We shall see however because as is ALWAYS the case with weddings, it's only at weddings that any bit of kit is properly tested!