Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, sandro said:

do you need a special adapter to make ibis work with vintage lenses? 

No.

There is an increased stabilisation bonus using native lenses with OIS taking stab from I think 5 stops (?) to 6.5, but there are only a couple of zooms with this feature.

Otherwise IBIS works with any/all lenses regardless of what they are, who they were made by or how old they are.

I'm not sure if they make adapters that also support OIS from other lenses, in this case will 6.5 stops work?

So even dummy adapter make ibis work? well lenses in general... I remember in the old days Canon need an electronic pin to tell the camera a lens was mounted,

1 hour ago, sandro said:

Thanks, 

has anyone tried any electronic EF o Nikon adapter to see how they work with autofocus? To see if this method can replace the expensive native L mount lenses...

From a earlier post in this thread (for video AF-C):

On 2/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, omega1978 said:

With Sima MC-21 and adapted Canon lenses there is no AF-C on the S-series

2 hours ago, sandro said:

Thanks, 

has anyone tried any electronic EF o Nikon adapter to see how they work with autofocus? To see if this method can replace the expensive native L mount lenses...

Hi sandro,

I can confirm that the information in the Lumix instructional video that MrSMW posted is accurate for my EF-mount Sigma lenses adapted via the Sigma MC-21 EF–L Adapter. Regarding my AF experiences going this route I'm not seeing any discernible differences in performance versus using the same lenses on my Canon EF bodies (5DII, 7D, 30D, 70D) with the lenses I have used cross-mount so far. Those lenses would include...

Sigma's 18-35mm, 50-100mm, 20mm Art; 14mm, 24-70mm, 50mm, 85mm, 150mm Macro, 500mm f/4.5, 300-800mm non-Art's; 150-600mm C; 120-300mm S and non-S; original 1.4x & 2x TCs; latest 1.4x & 2x TC's

...and it appears that the same "no AF over f/8-max" rule with the TC's (both old and new styles) holds true on both systems, so no free lunch there, ha!

As for cross-compatibility with my remaining native-Canon glass...I have yet to try the 100mm L Macro and my TS-E's are MF (manual focus).

Regarding IS with the two Sigma OS lenses (120-300S, 150-600C), the choice is either Lens IS (OS) or Body IS (apparently the L-Alliance has not yet allowed all parties to share in Dual-IS functioning) setup in the Menu. The OS Off/Mode1/Mode2 position switch on both lenses allows for instant (non-Menu) toggling between "all image stabilization Off" in Off, "all-axes stabilization" in Mode 1, and Auto "panning detect" stabilization in Mode 2 for either Lens or Body stabilization (depending on which is selected in the Stabilization Menu).

Of note, with Panasonic's native IS lenses one cannot change between Lens and/or Body IS, it's either all-Dual-IS or no-IS at all...maybe a niche request, but I, personally, would have appreciated a lens switch on my Panasonic Kit 24-105mm (and future 70-200mm) for "Dual/Lens/Body/Off" IS so I could fine-tune my IS needs as needed in the field.

And, as an aside, it would be fabulous if the L-Alliance allowed for Dual-IS functioning for their L-mount lenses regardless of which party in the alliance made the lens! "Dual/Lens/Body/Off" switches for all! Huzzah! LOL

Hope that helps, 🙂

-Jimmy G

3 hours ago, sandro said:

Thanks, 

I am not sure that I understand what you are asking...are you asking if you can mount Nikon lenses to the S5? If that's the question them I'm pretty sure the answer is no; there is no L mount to Nikon mount adapter that I am aware of. Also, as other's have mentioned, you lose AF-C when using the Sigma L mount to EF mount adapter.

• Super Members

Novoflex do one for the Leica SL but it is limited in terms of the lenses you can use with it and it is AF-S only.

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/leica-sl-t-tl-tl2-cl-mirrorless/adapter-nikon-e-type-nikkor-lenses-to-leica-sl-cameras.html?rgerg=38

Such is the loose nature of the L mount "alliance", it doesn't do AF with the Panasonic cameras.

As with their EF to L adapter which, despite its age and Novoflex certainly not being a member of the alliance is more compatible with the SL than the Sigma MC-21, I would guess they are tricking the SL into thinking it has a specific Leica lens attached to it so this isn't compatible with the Panasonic cameras.

As with the MC-21, the reverse is also true with Fotodiox's EF to L mount AF adapter with variable ND which has warnings not to use it with Leica cameras so it seems the options that adapter manufacturers have is to tweak it to work with Leica and lose compatibility with the other L mount cameras or vice versa.

Sorry if my question wasn't clear.
Considering the price of the L-mount native lenses I was wondering if I could get away with cheaper Canon/Nikon mount lenses + adapter to keep the costs down.

Apparently this should be possible but with many limitations. Even the Sigma adapter has a limited selection of lenses compatible.

I have a Tokina 11-16 ATX PRO Nikon F mount, I can forget about using AF-S with the S5?

20 minutes ago, sandro said:

Sorry if my question wasn't clear.
Considering the price of the L-mount native lenses I was wondering if I could get away with cheaper Canon/Nikon mount lenses + adapter to keep the costs down.

Apparently this should be possible but with many limitations. Even the Sigma adapter has a limited selection of lenses compatible.

I have a Tokina 11-16 ATX PRO Nikon F mount, I can forget about using AF-S with the S5?

Sorry, tried to delete my post but couldn't.

Fotodiox makes a cheaper, fully manual adapter for Nikon F mount lenses that has a built in aperture ring for G-Series lenses (those lenses without an aperture ring).

Native Panasonic best.

Sigma & Leica second best.

Zooms seem to have an edge over primes.

Anything adapted, good luck with this system!

I suspect you would have a slightly ‘better’ result shooting stills but I suspect hoping for anything more than say 1/10 AF with video would be about your best expectation.

That isn’t to say don’t use adapted, but rather manual focus would be your friend here.

On another subject, holy crap, 6k 10 bit 4:2:2 internal all-I.

How did I not know about this before?!

How come so few are talking about it?!

Well it’s not quite what it could be though I have just started a series of tests and it’s looking quite promising for certain use cases.

First of all though, it’s not 6k, but 5.2k in a 3:2 crop. Great to the latter because I’d like to pull stills from it and 3:2 is best for me so box ticked. Also, the more pixels the better and 5200 long edge beats 4000. Another box ticked.

Is it all-I though? Very difficult to find info, but I read that it is and something to do with the fact it’s always and only 30 fps.

And that’s the next thing, 30 fps. Is that a good or bad thing? Most seem to want 24 or 25. I’d prefer 25 myself, but 50 would be better and you can get 50, but have to drop back to 4k.

The real eye-opener for me was that it could be shot for 15 minutes and in vlog. I have only tested with Natural and Cinelike V so far so may test vlog but depends on whether the onboard LUT works with it or it’s a definite no no. No dealbreaker anyway as I prefer to work with a baked in look and minimal grading in post.

I did some quick tests yesterday against FF 25p and APSC crop FF and it looked better.

Harder to edit though as it does not run smoothly in Premiere, probably due to being 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0? I am not the techiest of people but assume that is it? No dealbreaker here either as next year I am going only laptop and M1 chip thingy.

The bottom line is I’m trying to discover whether an S1H will suit my needs (highest quality baked in video at a reasonable price that I can lift the best quality stills from) or whether the S5 is enough in either 4K 25p or 5.2k 30p.

Yesterday I got quite close to Jpeg from raw quality in 4K 25p and 5.2k 30p with the still image being the best, the 5.2k second best and anything 4K third best with 4K 25p beating 4K 50p. Ie, as you would expect.

The S1H I suspect at 5.4K 25p is not going to have much of an edge or even any noticeable difference over the S5 in ‘6k’ mode?

If it's like the '6K photo' mode on my G9, the files are H.265, 10-bit, 4:2:0 at 200 Mbps (info below - from the VideoRedo editor - for 3:2, 30 fps capture), with AAC audio. It uses 'long-GOP' encoding, but the GOP is quite short, only 16 frames, with only has IDR and P frames (no B frames) according to VideoRedo.

If you want to upload a short clip from the S5 (a few seconds is enough) I'll check the parameters for you.

image.png.c957d79ca67c60dbfc63b1120fc37427.png

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

On another subject, holy crap, 6k 10 bit 4:2:2 internal all-I.

Where is it exactly? Never heard the S5 could do that.

Anyway am I the only very confused with the recording formats? We can choose between MP4 and MOV (why?), then inside each container some options are with h265 some are h264 (why?) with no way of knowing what to expect.