Panasonic S5 User Experience

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am using the sigma mc-21 EF adapter, and a canon EF 50mm 1.2 @2.8 the dial is set to movie, the AF switch is set to C. (I tried the AF settings from tracking, 251 points, human detection) and I see the outlines of the objects I want to continous autofocus to, but the camera doesnt try to focus on these point, only when I press the shutterbutton(or halfway). 

How can I make it follow my face the entire time?

Thanks

On 2/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, edibledible said:

hey, I'm currently debating whether or not I should purchase the S5 and I have one question. Does video get captured in 4gb chunks? or can files be bigger than 4gb?

You can record larger files as long as you use SDXC cards.

From the S5 manual: "When using an SDXC memory card: A new file will be created to continue recording if the continuous recording time exceeds 3 hours and 4 minutes or the file size exceeds 96 GB."

14 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Does anybody know how to set up lcd screen so it shows the WB setting on the LCD screen, I always need to press Q, before I can change it or view what its at?

Hmmm... on my S1, if I pick any other white balance BESIDES  AWB, then it will show the white balance in the upper left hand corner of the LCD (just to the left of the picture profile icon).

If I choose AWB (auto white balance), then it does not display ANY icon for white balance.

Also, you can toggle through different screens on the LCD by clicking the Display button. I think I realized that early on, and then forgot about it. 

11 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I am using the sigma mc-21 EF adapter, and a canon EF 50mm 1.2 @2.8 the dial is set to movie, the AF switch is set to C. (I tried the AF settings from tracking, 251 points, human detection) and I see the outlines of the objects I want to continous autofocus to, but the camera doesnt try to focus on these point, only when I press the shutterbutton(or halfway). 

Thanks

Have you got 'Continuous AF' enabled for video (this is separate from the stills AF setting) ? - see the 'Using AF (Video)' section in the S5 User Guide - it's on page 256 in the pdf I have.

11 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Thanks

Also note what omega1978 said upthread:

On 2/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, omega1978 said:

With Sima MC-21 and adapted Canon lenses there is no AF-C on the S-series

On 2/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, zerocool22 said:

yeah this is it, I threw on my panasonic 85mm 1.8 and it sorta works (slowly). So this kinda sucks.
Is the same problem present when using EF lenses on A7S III or R5?

Using EF lenses on Gen 3 or Gen 4 sony bodies (a7 III, a7R III, a7R IV, a9 II, possibly original a9), many Canon EF lenses are rumored to focus better on the MC-1 on Sony bodies than on some of the Canon bodies (like 5D, 5D II, 5D III). At least, that is what some sony users who switched over from canon claim.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Using EF lenses on Gen 3 or Gen 4 sony bodies (a7 III, a7R III, a7R IV, a9 II, possibly original a9), many Canon EF lenses are rumored to focus better on the MC-1 on Sony bodies than on some of the Canon bodies (like 5D, 5D II, 5D III). At least, that is what some sony users who switched over from canon claim.

But only for photography, AFC for video is very limited on Sony with MC11

1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

Depends on the lens, in advanced mode a small center area use PDAF and my EF 35 1.4 , EF 16-35 2.8 III is fast enough and reliable, EF 85 1.2 II quite slow on A6400 with Speedboster Ultra

At least it works. Hopefully sigma or panny will release a firmware update to enable this.

On 2/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, zerocool22 said:

At least it works. Hopefully sigma or panny will release a firmware update to enable this.

I doubt they will...Panasonic wants to sell native lenses; Sigma also wants to sell Sigma lenses and their L Mount cameras, so no one has any incentive to assist in adding CAF for EF lenses. Also, not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that due to the rapid pulsing that DFD uses to achieve focus lock, EF lenses aren't designed to support this focusing method continuously which could be another reason why there is currently no CAF support for EF lenses on Panasonic bodies.

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I doubt they will...Panasonic wants to sell native lenses; Sigma also wants to sell Sigma lenses and their L Mount cameras, so no one has any incentive to assist in adding CAF for EF lenses. Also, not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that due to the rapid pulsing that DFD uses to achieve focus lock, EF lenses aren't designed to support this focusing method continuously which could be another reason why there is currently no CAF support for EF lenses on Panasonic bodies.

Each brand has their own special cripple hammer...